Page 1 of 1

A Fruggan (sp)?

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:51 pm
by conanthelibrarian
I am searching for an image of a (?)Fruggan, a long handled implement to remove hot fire ashes from a medieval oven.
Do any of the great minds on here know of where I can find one - and then find someone to supply it!

Thanks in advance,

Conan (Julie)

Re: A Fruggan (sp)?

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:24 pm
by Grymm
Afaik fruggan/forgon(e)/furgen is a 16thC onwards dialect(Lincs, Yorks, NEast) term for either the fork for putting the bundles of brush into and moving them around the oven or the T or L shaped bit of iron for dragging the embers out, look for ember/oven/fire rake. 'S from the Frenchie lingo for poker btw.

A smith should be able to knock one out for you, for starters talk to or Iron Dwarf (posts on here)

Mid 18thC pic of oven equipt

Re: A Fruggan (sp)?

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:13 pm
by Medicus Matt
I think I've got one in the shed that we made on the forge at Chedworth. I'll have a look when I get home. If I have then it's yours for a bottle of claret.

Re: A Fruggan (sp)?

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:58 am
by conanthelibrarian
Thanks, Grymm and Matt.

Only on here can one enquire about a Fruggan and someone say they may have one at home!

Matt - If you still have your Fruggan, then I would be interested.


Conan (Julie)