Proposed Group : Musketeers of France 1622 - 1646

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

Henri De Ceredigion

Proposed Group : Musketeers of France 1622 - 1646

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:04 am

Following a discussion on the Costumes board, this is a post in order to gauge interest in the following suggestion.

The Musketeers of France (proposed name, open to discussion) will be a group of people who have an interest in re-creating the lives (and adventures) of the Musketeers as described by Alexandre Dumas in his novels "The Three Musketeers", "Twenty Years After", "The Vicomte of Bragelonne" and "The Man in the Iron Mask" and will be based in Mid Wales (Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Powys). Because this is a proposal for discussion, no website exists (but if people have the skills to construct a website, proposals for the design would be more than welcome).

The aim of the group is to re-create as well as educate people as to how Musketeers lived and worked. This could be done in conjunction with education facilities (especially those studying French / European literature during the Enlightenment). The structure of the group would reflect exactly the structure of the Musketeers with a Captain being the Chairman and would follow standard group rules (elections every year for a new committee and the terms that the committee operates under to the created before the group is formally formed)

Therefore if there is anyone who is interested in joining such a group, please reply with your location. I shall check back in a week and then every week after that and if I deem there to be enough interest will contact those who have expressed an interest to see if we can organise a Skype conference on the topic.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: Proposed Group : Musketeers of France 1622 - 1646

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm

You might want to consider getting a bit of space at one of the markets and getting some leaflets and publicity out there as well as starting an FB page as this forum isn't exactly busy.

Yours,

Griff

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:You might want to consider getting a bit of space at one of the markets and getting some leaflets and publicity out there as well as starting an FB page as this forum isn't exactly busy. Yours, Griff

Well, as I said this is an idea in the very long stage process of planning (but all ideas are graciously welcomed). Now, next question is "Where's the nearest market to Ceredigion?"

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:40 pm

Coventry i suspect.

That probably goes for where is the nearest anything from Ceredigion!

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Jonesyollie

Postby Jonesyollie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:11 pm

Some friends and I have been talking about musketeers today and I thought it would be worth a look to see if any groups already exist. We are based in Birmingham so Wales would be a bit of a trip. Do you know if there are any groups closer? If not we would be interested.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:15 pm

Jonesyollie wrote:Some friends and I have been talking about musketeers today and I thought it would be worth a look to see if any groups already exist. We are based in Birmingham so Wales would be a bit of a trip. Do you know if there are any groups closer? If not we would be interested.

Well so far the response from Mid Wales has been akin to Donald Trump winning a popularity contest for people from Saudi Arabia (i.e none) but I know Birmingham very well indeed and it's always nice to know that my idea is generating discussions in other parts of the country.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:50 am

the eternal problem with any group, locality.

Wonder how the real musketeers coped, France is really big with poor public transport in the 1620's.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:07 am

Mark Griffin wrote:the eternal problem with any group, locality. Wonder how the real musketeers coped, France is really big with poor public transport in the 1620's.

That's a very good question indeed, Mark. No doubt there must be records somewhere of the Musketeer Corps and by association, details of where people came from. Mmm, I wonder if the French Embassy in London would have a clue?

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:27 am

No, but Les Invalides would. But you'd need to be able to read 17th cent french.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:44 am

You have the Osprey renee chartrand book yes?

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:20 am

Mark Griffin wrote:You have the Osprey renee chartrand book yes?

Nope, but Les Invalides have replied to my direct message to them on Twitter and will forward my request to the correct department.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:36 pm

The osprey book is an excellent starting point. worth a tenner or so easily

Return to “Societies”