Potential School ban on old gas masks

Postby Vermin » Tue May 13, 2014 4:14 pm

Just in case it interests anyone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27391955

acecat999
Post Centurion

Re: Potential School ban on old gas masks

Postby acecat999 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:09 pm

you do know that ww2 gas masks can be full of asbestos?
you'd have to be some form of stupid to get a kid to wear one

and a few countries made padding for the steel helmets out of asbestos too. rather than check if you have a 1943 Italian paratrooper helmet or a 1947 Bulgarian one ... its a lots easier to just tell teachers to treat everything with care.

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Wed May 14, 2014 1:59 am

"The IWM said that the majority of World War One Brodie helmets contain chrysotile or white asbestos in the lining".

Unless the IWM have done some testing of their own, as far as I am aware this is something of a collectors myth as far as WW1 British helmet liners go. The actual specifications for the period state the padding at the top be "a layer of felt, then a layer of cotton wool, a layer of canvas". On well-mothed examples, frequently all that remains is this canvas layer.

Similarly, for WW1 Small Box Respirator filters it is often stated they contain asbestos, yet again the original period specifications are known, and though you will find mention of such diverse materials as animal charcoal, wood charcoal, granules, "old formula" granules, cotton wadding and cellulose wadding, asbestos is not listed (and it was a known term and used in other items such as ID discs, which were made from vulcanized asbestos fibreboard).

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:08 am

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 9033,d.ZGU

the trouble is that the most people cant tell the difference between a WW1, WW2 or 1960s respirator so err on the side of caution and warn about them all. just in case a teacher has their class dismantling ww2 ones unknowningly

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Postby Lord Byron » Wed May 14, 2014 12:51 pm

acecat999 wrote:the trouble is that the most people cant tell the difference between a WW1, WW2 or 1960s respirator so err on the side of caution and warn about them all. just in case a teacher has their class dismantling ww2 ones unknowningly

I quite agree on erring on the side of caution with gas masks in general if in doubt - I just find it slightly strange to see such a well regarded institution as the IWM seemingly passing on duff information as specifically regarding WW1 British helmet liners containing asbestos when all evidence suggests otherwise.

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

spydde

Postby spydde » Wed May 14, 2014 8:25 pm

I know this may seem a simplistic answer, but surely reproduction examples are better?
there are several good reproduction gas masks on the market all made from safe materials.
For proper authenticity reasons, no army I am aware of issued 100 year old equipment and so old flaky stuff although authentic collectors items, so not look like the kit any soldier would carry.

although some kit I was issued with in the air force was old (aircraft, guns, ammunition) personal kit was always new.

Spydde

made a note in my diary on the way here it simply said 'b**ger'

Vermin

Postby Vermin » Thu May 15, 2014 1:30 pm

acecat999 wrote:you do know that ww2 gas masks can be full of asbestos?
you'd have to be some form of stupid to get a kid to wear one

I'm assuming that is addressed at me

I know nothing about it - not my period - I saw an article that I thought might be of interest to some people on the forum

How stupid of me

spydde

Postby spydde » Thu May 15, 2014 8:05 pm

no not stupid of you, many thanks for drawing it to our attention, as someone who 'does' WW1 this affects what I do directly.

Spydde

made a note in my diary on the way here it simply said 'b**ger'

Return to “1900 onwards”