Chimera Costumes

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

houseoffreyja

Chimera Costumes

Postby houseoffreyja » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Does anyone know if this company is still trading? I placed a small order with them on the 28th Jan. I've not received it and I've phoned 3 or 4 times and just got an answering machine. I've emailed them and had no reply.
I don't know if they have sent the parcel and the post has lost it or if they haven't sent it, for some reason.
Any idea what is happening with them?
Elaine

Dannolad

Re: Chimera Costumes

Postby Dannolad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:57 pm

Persevere with them Elaine, Gini is 'flat out' at the moment as it is the pre-season rush. She usually replies within a few days, but rarely answers the phone.

houseoffreyja

Postby houseoffreyja » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:49 am

I needed the items for this weekend, I thought ordering them nearly a month in advance would be enough. They are only pewter buttons, not an outfit. I phoned and emailed and got no reply. I've had to re think what I'm making and now don't need them. Needs must.
Elaine

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:36 pm

My order hit a year of waiting last week...

A very bad case of "Life" has got in the way of production, apparently.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Graham Cooley

Postby Graham Cooley » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:39 pm

If you are looking for buttons you should try Christophus Leather. He has a policy or always having a stock of buttons so he can cope with any order.

Jackie Phillips

Postby Jackie Phillips » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Graham Cooley wrote:If you are looking for buttons you should try Christophus Leather. He has a policy or always having a stock of buttons so he can cope with any order.

I agree, I buy them in 100's and they are some of the best buttons out there:
87 Eggbuckland Road, Hartley,
Plymouth, Devon. PL3 5JR
01752 789629
CHRISTOPHUS@aol.com

Alternatively this guy on ebay is really good, very reliable and really nice, inexpensive buttons:
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/rudegoblin&ss ... X:SELLERID

Jackie

Trust your instincts, whatever else you do.

houseoffreyja

Postby houseoffreyja » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks for the info. I'd just saw the ebay buttons the other day while panicking. Might be ordering some later. See you at the ILHF.
Elaine

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:08 pm

The other people you might try is Tim and Lizzie at Tinkers tailer. They trade at ILHF and might be able to get them on the phone (google the web site).

The_Maille_Tailor

Postby The_Maille_Tailor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:09 pm

Lionheart replicas are good too!
Have had many belt mounts and other fittings from them in the past.
Always good service, swift and nice items too.

http://www.mailletailor.co.uk/ Fitting links into other links for over a decade now. If its maille I can make it fit.

Ania M

Postby Ania M » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:24 am

Or Annie the Pedlar

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:17 pm

I can second Tinker's Tailor. Lovely people and very good prices. They also trade as Arum Lillie Designs.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

houseoffreyja

Postby houseoffreyja » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks for all the help and advice, I now can get more buttons than I could ever need.lol. I've seen some very nice ones over the weekend at ILHF.
Elaine

tie-killer

Postby tie-killer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:20 am

Good to know chimera is still around.

My order dates from last spring. I have no problems with long delivery times but they didn’t react to any of my e-mails or messages on the answering machine.

Couldn’t help but get the impression chimera costumes isn’t very interested in doing business with me. Hope I’ll get an answer, my doublet or my money back rather sooner than later.

Thumbcrusher

Postby Thumbcrusher » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Dannolad wrote:Persevere with them Elaine, Gini is 'flat out' at the moment as it is the pre-season rush. She usually replies within a few days, but rarely answers the phone.

Begs the question, "Why are they still taking orders"?

At least they could note their website that there is a delay.

Ialso made an order over a month ago and not heard a thing from them despite several emails! :twisted:

Poor customer service to say the least!!

So why is it always ME that has to, "Take one for the team"?

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:05 pm

Liek all one man bands sometimes somethings get dropped especailly at one of the busiest times of the calendar

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Folks - ask for a delivery date when you place your order- if you need it quick smart then tell the supplier, also ask how long their order book is, confirm price then pay - simples !

Cherry
Shadowlight

tie-killer

Postby tie-killer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Drachelis wrote:Folks - ask for a delivery date when you place your order- if you need it quick smart then tell the supplier, also ask how long their order book is, confirm price then pay - simples !

Well, I did ask when I place the order last May and then from time to time. No answer in May, July, September, December, January, March.

I fully understand that life can happen, but when there is time to update the news part on the homepage, write a blog etc. I'd expect at least minimal customer communication.

houseoffreyja

Postby houseoffreyja » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:42 pm

I've now given up on getting the buttons and asked for my money back, but haven't heard anything. I understand how hard it is running your own business, but communicating with the customers is really important.
Elaine

tie-killer

Postby tie-killer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Elaine, please let me know if you get a reaction or your money back. If you don't and I don't hear from chimera either I really will have to consider taking legal measures.

houseoffreyja

Postby houseoffreyja » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Gina has been in touch and it's all sorted now. I hope things work out for her.
Elaine

tie-killer

Postby tie-killer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Gini contacted me and my order will soon be dispatched.

Chris T

Postby Chris T » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:16 pm

We all suffer from problems from time to time: small operators suffer much more badly from any given problem, as there is nobody covering.

A one weeks stop on production (which is nothing) can turn into a month behind, as the very fact you are behind generates complaints, enquiries, cancelations etc etc. In many ways the only way to get back on track is to concentrate on actually producing the work: this means that people then (rightly in some ways, I know) get fed up by lack of communication, but at the end of the day you get your stuff sooner if the trader makes the stuff rather than performs customer service tasks. This is not ideal, but at times in inevitable.

In practice it is not possible to get fast, good and cheap: if you get one it is the norm, two is a bonus: it is up to each individual customer to chose their priority, and select a trader accordingly.

Thumbcrusher

Postby Thumbcrusher » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:02 pm

Chris T wrote:In practice it is not possible to get fast, good and cheap: if you get one it is the norm, two is a bonus: it is up to each individual customer to chose their priority, and select a trader accordingly.

I agree with the sentiments of your statement but the chimera website doesn't mention anything about delays in orders so buyers dont have the full facts to allow them to choose to use another seller.

As a previous writer stated, "if the company has time to update their website...... etc" then maybe they could have put something on the website when they updated it to point out possible delays and the fact that, (from what others have written) they are having some life issues.

I would accept that but as it is i don't even know if they have received my order or what sort of delay i am looking at. :crazy:

Thumbcrusher

Postby Thumbcrusher » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Well here we are at the end of June and still not a peep out of chimera costumes. No reply to emails nor telephone messages left on their answer phone!

Pretty poor show really. Needless to say i wont be buying anything else from them and i certainly wont be advising anyone else to :thumbdown:

sparky

Postby sparky » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:21 pm

i know that feeling, even posted on face book and had no reply.

Mark

Chanz De Reis 12th Century Living History Group
501st Uk Garrison Star Wars Group

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:54 am

After I kicked up a fuss on here, Ebay, FB and elsewhere a large parcel suddenly arrived with my order, but no explanation (other than brief snippets from the several people who got in touch with me privately to tell me how nasty I was to threaten legal action through County Courts).

Just as well it fit and was well made ( I've had long overdue orders arrive before that have obviously been made up from scraps at hand shodily thrown together to fulfill the order rather than what I actually ordered) but I shall ask for a realistic lead time if I order again (if I am told it'll be 63 weeks at the start at least it is an informed decision if I order and I can plan accordingly), and certainly shan't be doing it through the website.

Thumbcrusher

Postby Thumbcrusher » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:08 pm

Well Phil I'm glad to hear you managed to get your stuff at last! i'v sent a further three emails and several phone calls but still no news. :twisted:

Might have to take a note out of your book and use facebook etc to try and stir Chimera into at least replying to my enquiries!

charis1642

Postby charis1642 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 am

Yeah well dont bother thanking me Phil for contacting her on your behalf will you! why don't you just whinge a little bit more even though the stuff you got was probably top notch considering I know and have her quality of work sitting in my wardrobe!

I appreciate people are waiting for things and think that bad mouthing on a forum is the way to get it but you sit down and produce the quality of work she does, when things are less than perfect in your life (no I am not going to go into specifics about it either!) and see how well you do!

YES! I know you have been waiting YES! I know you want your GEAR! YES! its been difficiult with no communication but for gods sake give the woman a little bit of SLACK!!!!!!!

GOD and they wonder why people have hervous breakdowns! I hope you lot are happy with your conduct heaping more crap onto a woman who is going through ENOUGH!!!!! BULLIES!

IRATE IS NOT THE HALF OF IT!

Graham Cooley

Postby Graham Cooley » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:29 am

charis1642,

I'm not a customer and don't know anyone connected with Chimera so hopefully this is completely impartial.

Those customers who have been asking questions don't know there is a problem. You have said yourself there is no communication. As a result they can't give Chimera any slack because they are not aware there is a problem. Most people a quite reasonable and they will allow for personal problems but they need to know that there is a problem. Rather than getting into a public slanging match it would be more helpful for some sort of annoucement to be made. This could be in the form of a flyer going out to all customers who are awaiting an order and/or on a public forum like this one. It does not have to go into details but enough information needs to given to inform everyone that Chimera is still trading, they have a problem at the moment due to personal circumstances, they are working through orders (all be it at a slower rate), it will take approximately X months to work through the current order list at the current rate .......

This will not only reassure existing customers but ensure that future customers are not put off. It should mean that Chimera get fewer customers chasing and will hopefully reduce the stress. With no communication from Chimera customers will rightly start to ask questions, with no answers they then start to ask further questions, and everyone then knows there is a problem but they do not know what. These customers are not bullying, just trying to find out what is happening.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:35 am

Indeed- in the time it takes to put a post on here a BCC'ed email to every outstanding client could be sent explaining what is going on which would alleviate their anxiety considerably.

Return to “Traders Discussion”