Tawny

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Elenna DeVargr

Tawny

Postby Elenna DeVargr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi. I'm looking for any references of Tawny being associated as a type of fabric not just a colour.

Elenna DeVargr

Re: Tawny

Postby Elenna DeVargr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:04 pm

I have found this reference;

Found described as BLACK, BLUE, CHINA, COLOURED, CUT, DOUBLE, DUTCH, DYED, ENGLISH, FOREIGN, GENOA, GREEN, imported from EAST INDIA, MANCHESTER, newest of all, one-pile, out of grain, PAINTED, PLAIN, PRINTED, of every breadth, PLAIN, PURPLE, PURPLE - IN GRAIN, RED, RICH, RIGHT - CRIMSON, RUSSET, SILK, STAINED, TAWNY, three-pile, two-pile, uncut, WROUGHT Found describing CHAIR

From: 'Valencia almond - Vermilion', Dictionary of Traded Goods and Commodities, 1550-1820 (2007). URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report ... uery=tawny Date accessed: 17 February 2011.

What I would like to know is would tawny have been a specific type of wool or weave?

Elenna DeVargr

Postby Elenna DeVargr » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:31 pm

What about these?

'RO, 970. THE KING'S COOK. Warrant to the Great Wardrobe to deliver Pero le Doulx,
"cook for our mouth," a tawny cloth gown, &c. Greenwich, 2 Dec. 3 Hen. VIII. ..'

'six pages in cloakes of oreng-tawny velvet,'

'pages; of tawny medley for their "watching clothing."

'with a great number of ladies following her; and that I also was very trim apparelled, but all in tawny,'

'giving a tawny jacket'.

These are all taken from British History Online.

Elenna DeVargr

Postby Elenna DeVargr » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:12 am

On a similar discussion somewhere else I was told Tawny is not the colour but the fabric, Tawny was later to be referred to as the colour in a modern context and that any book on the history of textiles should give me further answers.

I have several books on textiles and clothing and non mention the word tawny. Can anyone help, I would appreciate more information so if you do have a book that does have this information I would be very grateful if you could give me the title.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:50 am

As Sally says its a colour, not a fabric
OED defines it as "Name of a composite colour, consisting of brown with a preponderance of yellow or orange; but formerly applied also to other shades of brown."
‘Tawny’ as a heraldic colour: variously described as ‘orange-brown’ or ‘bright chestnut’
Personally have never seen it a a fabric in any of the clothing legislation I have looked at.

Elenna DeVargr

Postby Elenna DeVargr » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:05 am

Sally and Merlon, thank you both for your help in this query. My own opinion was that tawny is colour but it is always worth getting other opinions. I'm very grateful chaps :thumbup:

Return to “Costumes”