World War 2 era women's shoes

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

MedicKitten

World War 2 era women's shoes

Postby MedicKitten » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:49 am

Could anyone tell me where i might be able to find reproduction WW2 women's shoes? they appear to be devilishly difficult to locate.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

harrietrf

Postby harrietrf » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:43 am

Recent discussion on the Kentwell board suggests buying black oxford tap shoes without the tap, if that's any help...

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:06 pm

how much are you looking to spend??

I know of some theatrical suppliers who can do repro 40s, but they're not cheap.

otherwise, owuld also suggest going down the dance shoes route (though be aware that many have quite soft soles, so it may be worth investing in some sole protectors of the type you can get for leather soled shoes if you plan on wearing them outdoors)

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:37 am

Have you tried ebay for the real deal? They seem to have quite a bit of vintage stuff...
http://search.ebay.co.uk/1940-shoes_W0Q ... 9QQfromZR8

Mind you, not my era so I can't tell how many of these are rubbish!

Dance like nobody's watching, love like you've never been hurt.

pearl

Postby pearl » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:48 am

I take it you mean ladies.
If you have a specific style .let me know and the size and I can get you a quote.
One of the shoemakers I supply has continental 40s lasts for up to two inch heels. They have just used them for a limited run of a Tbar in three colours. Others have suitable flats.
But Ii will need something to show them.

If a man stands in a forest where there is no woman to hear him.
Is he still wrong?

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:18 pm

There were some on ebay the other day, that I think should still be running (originals).

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:53 pm

Jalea you are wonderful!!!!!

Some of you may know that I have chronic dermatitis on the soles of my feet brought on by an allergy to PTBPF resin - which is used in shoe glues and neopreens (sp?) post 1970.

therefore I am always looking for vintage shoes which do not have the nasties in them.

Block head here didn't think to look on ebay :roll:

So I am now bidding on some - slightly more fashionable than latchet shoes!!!!!. ( Andy Burke makes them for me without glue)

So - if there are any peeps out there with genuine vintage shoes UK size 6 from before 1970 that they want rid of - here is a very willing buyer. ( and can remember back to the '50's and my grandmothers 1940's shoes so I can spot a reproduction too.)

Cheryl

Shadowlight Designs

shadowlight Designs

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:40 pm

glad to be of service ;)
I do tend to check out ebay for _anything_ I want these days. It doesn't always come up with the goods, but more often than not...

Right, I'm off to look at vintage clothes!

Dance like nobody's watching, love like you've never been hurt.

pearl

Postby pearl » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:57 pm

Its mainly an adhesive used in high pressure combining of leather (cheap splits) with other materials rather than a low impact constructional cement, and is , in this context, mostly used for footwear destined for the UK market.
Orthopeadic shoemakers, here, have a range of materials that are free from it. The NHS may have different views.
It is supposed to be governed by the recent European regulations coincerning footwear and is specifically banned from being used in any orthotic appliances supplied under current UN overseen contracts.
Its a bit ironic though ,less likelihood of getting exczema having the feet blown off in the middle east than buying cheap shoes in England.
It is also one of the few materials that can effect DNA sampling, (although they dont want you to know that.)and is part of a group thought by some to be important in what is called 20th century allergy so if the shoes dont get you the double glazing will.

If a man stands in a forest where there is no woman to hear him.

Is he still wrong?

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:25 pm

Thanks for the info Pearl - its very popular because it cures at room temperature too.

Interesting about the EU controls - it would be good if they could enforce them - I could wear groovy shoes again ( bit of an Imelda marcos - daughters had a field day when I had to give up all my shoes)
PTBPF resin is also used in the dental industry - put me off going to the dentist completely.

Its also used in MDF and the like for bonding bits together.

DNA sampling

:shock:
When are they going to enforce a total ban?

Shadowlight Designs

MedicKitten

Postby MedicKitten » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:39 pm

ok, now i'm a bit scared! I'll check ebay about shoes, but that resin makes me quite nervous about modern ones. :?

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:42 pm

The more expensive and basic in design your shoes are the less likely they are to have used nasties in their construction.

I tend to buy shoes which are not made from split hide - this means if they are fine grain then they cost. These shoes also generally have a four or five year lifespan and I am heavy on my shoes. This year I am having to consider ditching a pair of really good shoes because the rubber cell construction soles are shot - the leather is still wonderful. Makes I favour are the more practical end of Clarkes, Sioux, and Jones the Bootmaker.

I have on occasions been very tempted to get some shoes from Pilgrim shoes (Tudor) as they also produce the same models in more modern colours and with rubber street soles. They are very foot shaped anyway and I doubt they use the nasties - one could always check with them.

Having said this, most of the year I don't wear closed toed shoes. Those who have met in C21st clothes will know I have a large collection of sandals ranging from the really sporty to ones with sequins on. Was complaining only twenty minutes ago to a friend that it was getting too cold for sandals - wet feet I can live with for short periods, cold wet feet however are not a fave. Suppose I hade better go and buy some new tights - seem to have managed to wreck most of them last winter. :roll:

Sophia

Ellen Gethin

Postby Ellen Gethin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:11 pm

There is a shop in Leominster (used to be Annie's Antique Clothing in Hay-on-Wye) which does genuine 1940s shoes.

"Take wrong turns, talk to strangers, open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing."
JimmyB27, absolutewrite

Return to “Costumes”