Best medieval re-enactment battle in Britain

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Nigel wrote:Dickie if I see any body rolling down that hill it will prbabaly be me due to exhaustion
There is of course a simple solution to this Nigel. Buy a War Elephant! Then you can get it to carry up and down the hill all day long!
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Would have loved to have gone. Looking forward to the war stories as they appear on the forum.
"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Nigel wrote:I beleive I owe you a beer
Ah...then I'll definitely track you down...

Not sure when I'll be there yet, prob not til Saturday morning...
The Hussite Sheridan
For Distinguished Ladies & Gentlemen, of a Bohemian disposition.

WILHELM STOLE MY PRINCE OF WALES!!!

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Well, as Herzberg is in Germany, it is a VERY different show (because reenactment in Germany is VERY different).

However, it usually centres around 1250, but is really quite multiperiod. The LH camp is normally set up as a timeline. You would walk into the great migrations when you walk in, and then work your way up through Merovingians, Vikings, Carolingians, Franks, Normans, Hohenstaufen-Period (12th/13th). It usually ends at early 14th, but there might be some 15th century stuff around nowadays as well, not a clue.

The battles over there are usually very similar to what the Vike do, meaning touch-fighting and lots of shield-stuff (shield-walls). One thing is different - German reenactors usually fight very competitively.

Sizewise, I think there is normally around 1000 Living-History displayers and about 100 fighters in the battle. These 100 lucky ones use the castle wall and play with wooden palisades, fake stones, water-balloons, arrows, water-balloon artillery, ladders and a huuuuge siege tower with a bridge coming down onto the castle wall at the peak.

Herzberg lasts 10 days, with only one weekend open for the public. Typically for the German scene, re-enactment is done for re-enactors, and the battle is meant to be fun more than anything else. The public are just allowed to watch.

This however is like it was in 2002, when I was last there. Not a clue how the thing looks nowadays. Expect similar though....
Last edited by Andreas on Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quanti Adversarii + Tantus Honor

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Oh, and I would be SO keen on a proper siege battle in this country. Thats why I quite enjoyed doing Templecombe of all events...

AND was seriously tempted to take to the field in Balcombe.
Quanti Adversarii + Tantus Honor

Cat
Post Centurion

Post by Cat »

Balcombe was top- the siege setting made it far more interesting.
http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!