Hussite Armour

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Hussite Armour

Post by Skevmeister »

Hello you dirty heretic hussite mercenary Scum (him Myk, Andrea and Dickie in particular)

I want to make Craig some gauntlets and obviously since you have converted him into some sort of hussite scum, I would like to make a pair that fit in with that particular sort of kit list (he wants right fingered,left gauntlet)

Can you point me to/have pcitures of/ or references of armour that these mercenarys would have used, or what region they would have favoured for their armour.

Cheers

Skev
ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Ok

[dons Flak jacket]

Being fully prepared to be shot to pieces, IMHO there is very little difference between what a Hussite Mercenary (no mention of Bohemian there you notice) might wear in the Mid C15th in the way of armour, and what any other mercenary/MaA might wear in the same period.

I do however have a few things which might be of interest. PM me your eMail address and I will scan a few things in and mail them over...

[dons larger Flak jacket over the other one]

IMHO (again) racial differences are more likely to be obvious in modes of 'soft' kit and weapons, and of course language...

[dons yet another larger Flak jacket over the other 2]
The Hussite Sheridan
For Distinguished Ladies & Gentlemen, of a Bohemian disposition.

WILHELM STOLE MY PRINCE OF WALES!!!

MJ

Post by MJ »

Just to add to what Dickie says, of the five crusades against the Hussites at least 2 (I think it's 2, can't be a*sed to go look it up) had a military presence from a number of European countries including England. So, if it was on the field and of no more use to the current wearer... :twisted:

Er... does that make us Hussite mercenaries early proponents of recycling?

Now pass me some of those flak jackets over! :lol:
VERITAS VINCIT

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Cardinal Beaufort led 3 and 4 I believe, one of these was never engaged in battle. 'Cos it fled before the Hussite forces took the field against them.

I also remember reading somewhere, a while ago, that early on in the uprising Zizka captured a supply train carrying arms and armour...

Remember also, that enshrined in the Articles of the Hussites is the sharing of ALL spoils of war. There is much evidence to believe that these Articles were adhered to quite strictly.

However, we are not neccesarily talking of Hussites of the Hussite Wars, we are talking of the sons and grandsons of these people some 40-50 years removed from the original uprisings and now no longer in their home country. Bands of Hussite Mercenaries and Hussite led Mercenary Bands are recorded all across Europe after Lipany in 1434.
The Hussite Sheridan

craig1459
Post Centurion

Post by craig1459 »

Unfortunately my pesky firewall prevents me from seeing ought but here's some soldiers from the Hussite period - c1420 -in a Bohemian painting
Can't recall if there's any gauntlets visible

forums/viewtopic.php?t=4367
die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Ah...looks like The Emporers New Gauntlets to me...
The Hussite Sheridan

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Well at least you're sticking to your beliefs, now pass me a torch for it is time you die for them! "Cheer up heretic swine. Oh what can it be to bea sad bunch of Hussites driven from your own countreeee!"
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Well at least you're sticking to your beliefs, now pass me a torch for it is time you die for them! "Cheer up heretic swine. Oh what can it be to bea sad bunch of Hussites driven from your own countreeee!"
Come and have a go, papist slave! Many have tried, all have died.

Driven from our own country, by fellow Hussites fawning at the feet of the Pope on his throne of Gold and Blood.

GOTT MITT UNS !!!

When are you popping our way for practice Marcus..?
The Hussite Sheridan

craig1459
Post Centurion

Post by craig1459 »

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Well at least you're sticking to your beliefs, now pass me a torch for it is time you die for them! "Cheer up heretic swine. Oh what can it be to bea sad bunch of Hussites driven from your own countreeee!"
I think we need to discuss this Marcus - you can have a seat on our campfire at Blore :twisted:

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Ah come on its a catchy little song is it not?
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

As soon as I get meself a job and the money to pay for the fuel and medical costs I'll come along for a bash Dickie. Thats fuel to get there by the way not fuel for the cleansing fires.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

In which case, best of luck in job hunting.

As for medical costs, we could always claim you were a MoP viewing and then also claim it was an "accident".

"Honestly officer he just kinda slipped and fell into the assorted pile of swords, axes, daggers, spears, maces, bills, pole-axes, hammers and flails, really he did...then of course the half-dozen or so guys in mixed plate and chain rushed over to help him and slipped on the floor and all kind of fell on him at the same time from different directions...What burning stake outside? No that's nothing to do with us, sir..." :twisted:

See, very plausible, I'd be convinced as a judge...
The Hussite Sheridan

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

I'm laughning too much to hit you. You'll have to run onto me sword yourself. Stay well omae.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Post by Lord Byron »

Dickie wrote:
GOTT MITT UNS !!!
Need any socks then? :twisted:

Meg

Post by Meg »

Have been lurking, but this is far too funny to ignore.

Dickie, I just luuurve it when you go all religious-fanatical on us :lol:

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Meg wrote:Have been lurking, but this is far too funny to ignore.

Dickie, I just luuurve it when you go all religious-fanatical on us :lol:
Ok then I'll add that to my seminar on how to ravish women on the field, thinking of adding a "How to fill in trenches" lesson as well... :twisted:
The Hussite Sheridan

Chris, yclept John Barber

Post by Chris, yclept John Barber »

Skevmeister said: "He wants right fingered,left gauntlet"

But didn't you hear the loud slogan:

GOTT MITT UNS !!!

So Hussites didn't use fingered gauntlets... only mittens. :D

Slinks off behind tumbleweed...

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Chris, yclept John Barber wrote:Slinks off behind tumbleweed...
Just jump into the trench with the others mate, will fill it in when it's half-full...
The Hussite Sheridan

MJ

Post by MJ »

Reporting for trench filling duty... would you all climb in now so's I can get started? And please leave items of value to one side, including armour, that way Craig will gets a nearly-new pair of gauntlets immediately.
VERITAS VINCIT

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Post by Skevmeister »

My god, don't leave the trench half full fill it all lets GOD Sort them out.

Skev
:evil: :twisted: :shock: :x
ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Wayland2002

Post by Wayland2002 »

Dickie wrote: GOTT MITT UNS !!!
According to Dickie the correct design seems to be "God's Mittens"

Skev, copy Fletch's guantlets, they are the design that Craig wants.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Dickie wrote:I also remember reading somewhere, a while ago, that early on in the uprising Zizka captured a supply train carrying arms and armour...
Dickie, the thing about that is would the same arms and armour have been in use much later? Given wear and tear (not to mention people dying) how much of the original hoard would have survived?

It's also worth noting that those who fought as mercenaries would have their armour bought for them by their employer: A mercenary may have along time between jobs and why go to the trouble and expense of looking after a suit of armour when you can make money by selling it?
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

craig1459
Post Centurion

Post by craig1459 »

Wayland2002 wrote: Skev, copy Fletch's guantlets, they are the design that Craig wants.
Not entirely - Fletch's are great but look a bit later than I am looking at (1440s-1460s)
The Skevmeisters are coming over next week so I can compare notes between pints

Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Alan_F wrote:Dickie, the thing about that is would the same arms and armour have been in use much later? Given wear and tear (not to mention people dying) how much of the original hoard would have survived?

It's also worth noting that those who fought as mercenaries would have their armour bought for them by their employer: A mercenary may have along time between jobs and why go to the trouble and expense of looking after a suit of armour when you can make money by selling it?
True, but it does depend on what you are portraying. Also bear in mind that there was a lot of work for mercenary companies in mainland Europe in the mid-late C15th.

Furthermore, I would suggest supplied rather than bought.
The Hussite Sheridan

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Post by Alan_F »

Dickie wrote:
Alan_F wrote:Dickie, the thing about that is would the same arms and armour have been in use much later? Given wear and tear (not to mention people dying) how much of the original hoard would have survived?

True, but it does depend on what you are portraying. Also bear in mind that there was a lot of work for mercenary companies in mainland Europe in the mid-late C15th.

Furthermore, I would suggest supplied rather than bought.
I would go with supplied as well, although I dare say that there were (very rich) exceptions to this rule.

I suppose that some might have retained their armour, but the added cost of maintaining and transporting it from place to place would, I think, have made many sell it.
I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

And there are written accounts of armourers buying back their own armour at a discount rate at the end of campaigning seasons (at least there are in Italy.)
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!