What's wrong with the film a Knight's Tale

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

El gone to Cid

Postby El gone to Cid » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:50 pm

Regarding the music, I suggest you Don't buy the soundtrack CD. I bought it for the bowie golden years track and it's a version of one of his albums. They are all recorded at different sound levels and there are tracks on the cd not in the film and tracks in the film not on the CD. Include the fact it was around £16 and you have a rip off of a CD. Do what I did and rip the tracks from the DVD.
And the lady-in-waiting was gorgeous. Lucky Wat. :twisted:

"Bring me my Broadsword, and clear understanding"

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:00 pm

Lady Eleanor wrote:If you listen to the commentary on the DVD, the director justifies the use of rock music and modern language (and face painting!) quite well - he says something along the lines of "just like there's kids' music and parents' music now, there was kids' music and parents' music then,

Kids music, Queen, how many kids do you know that would listen to Queen. I'm 40 and i dont listen to Queen, Now if he had used system of A down or Rammstein, the arguement may have carriewd some weight, Huh, Queen, I ask you. :wink:

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:47 pm

Rammstein suck!

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:56 pm

WorkMonkey wrote:Rammstein suck!

Only because you are in a war of words with me, if it was anyone else then you would agree with them. Go On admit it.

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:57 pm

lol no, :)

I genuinely don't like them,
Don't like their music and my deluded paranoia leads me to think that because they wont speak english they must be plotting against me,

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:00 pm

WorkMonkey wrote:lol no, :)

Cus they're german you see.. 8)

Ok, so you dont like pagans, you dont like germans, you dont like obligatory quotes, what else is there?

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:01 pm

Don't like their music and my deluded paranoia leads me to think that because they wont speak english they must be plotting against me,

Paranoia, well that'll get you every time.

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:03 pm

Gyrthofhwicce wrote:

Cus they're german you see.. 8)

Ok, so you dont like pagans, you dont like germans, you dont like obligatory quotes, what else is there?

Ah you don't want to know, I'd be here for ages.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:19 pm

Gyrthofhwicce wrote:
Ok, so you dont like pagans, you dont like germans,

He's in a world of poo with his new society then, what with us being mostly pagan germanic types and all :twisted:

"I never said that I was here to help."

KJ

Postby KJ » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:10 pm

I think it's a fab film. Admittedly first time I watched it I thought what the f' is going on here? I've watched it several times since (I have a very limited DVD collection!) and I appreciate more about it every time. It never tried to be historically accurate but to make it more fun and relevant to a modern audience. I teach medieval history to kids and they love it, it's one of the few films they seem to know about (sometimes they don't know what the word medieval means!). I happened to watch it again last night and thought, oh right they've really tried to equate it to modern life haven't they. Like the jousting fans and chanting at the beginning being a bit like fans at a football match, the dancing scene starts of medieval but gets modern, joselines very dodgy medievalesque outfits (Which I think were created by some modern designer weren't they?) . It made me think, actually it's quite subtlely clever, which I hadn't thought about before. One thing it can be hard to get across to kids in particular is that medieval people were wearing the hip and happening clothes of their day, just because they were wearing different fashions to what they wear now they were still fashionable.

Also the first time I watched I kept noticing all the things which were wrong but the more I see it the more I notice some of the little things they did get right.

Tops film anyway, and a good way to while away a couple of hours.

I'm not a Heath Ledger fan, but James Purefoy any day of the week! "And as such is without contestation!". He's a Shakespearean actor don't ya know and nearly ended up playing Bond.

Most of the blokes I know tend to think Joselines maid or Kate the armourer were much more attractive than Joseline. Is that a general blokes opinion?!? Just curious.

K

El gone to Cid

Postby El gone to Cid » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:21 am

KJ wrote:Most of the blokes I know tend to think Joselines maid or Kate the armourer were much more attractive than Joseline. Is that a general blokes opinion?!? Just curious.

YEP. In fact, even Mrs Geoff (deleted scenes) was more attractive. I'm positive if any normal red-blooded medieval peasanty guy had seen Jocelyn, he'd have shot her as wildlife.

"Bring me my Broadsword, and clear understanding"

Wobbly Paul

Postby Wobbly Paul » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:00 am

Wotcha, Kazza! Yes...Joselines maid, every time! :shock:

(Just don't tell Sue!) :oops:

Gobae

Postby Gobae » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:14 pm

Most of the blokes I know tend to think Joselines maid or Kate the armourer were much more attractive than Joseline. Is that a general blokes opinion?!? Just curious.

Oh, yes! Kate all the way! I wouldn't care what she was saying if only she'd just keep talking to me with that accent (I'm American), and came to my bed smelling of coal smoke (I'm also a blacksmith).

My wife (who's also a blacksmith) generally doesn't care about other women unless I start looking at other blacksmith chics. Then of course she likes to point out that Kate's anvil is WAY too high to use correctly, so Kate can't actually be a 'real' blacksmith :)

It's interesting that what they choose to get right and what they choose to blow off. Kate is burning charcoal not soft coal; they got it right. But they put her anvil too high, and had her hammering a cold horse shoe. Then (IIRC) they have her hammering the Nike shwoosh, with the back side of a hot punch.

Oh, well. I'll keep watching it just to see Kate.

mrsM

Postby mrsM » Wed May 31, 2006 6:31 pm

You can't what these films as a re-enactor. You will not enjoy it at all because you are finding too many faults with it. This film was never billed as being historically correct it is just entertainment. You must remember that most peoples view of medieval life is taken from hollywood so that is what they expect to see.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Wed May 31, 2006 6:59 pm

I have to say I think its fab. Nothing to do with 'real' (or what we currently view as real) history, more a fairy story set in some slightly-based-on-reality 'long long ago'. Most of the old fairy stories purport to be roughly medieval in date, but then sling in all sorts of things that didnt exist, I view this one in the same light. Its a fun film to while away a cold evening with a few glasses of something warming, and it does develop a sense of atmosphere rare in medievalesque movies :D

Brother Tuck

Postby Brother Tuck » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:01 am

fantastic film, especially with the footie chants in the bar.

He's blond, he's p*ssed, he'll see you in the lists, Lichtenstein! He's blond, he's tanned, he comes from Gelderland, he comes from Gelderland! Gelderland, Gelderland, Gelderland... Gelderland, Gelderland, Gelderland...

The greatest philosophers in the world met to discuss all the great unsolved questions of the world. and one question had them stumped

What Exactly is The Purpose of a Rubber Duck?

Wobbly Paul

Postby Wobbly Paul » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:28 pm

And if anyone else was at Loseley, to see Rupert getting the crowd to re-enact the "We Will Rock You" moment as Destrier came on...! :wink:

Rod Walker

Postby Rod Walker » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:41 am

'We Will Rock You' has become the unofficial joust anthem.

Jim Smith

Postby Jim Smith » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:34 pm

Superb film. Switch the authenticity head off and enjoy it.

"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:03 am

I for one think that football style chants would be a great addition to the reenacting of a battle. Picture the scene as halbardiers and swordsmen swarm over the Lancs at Tewkesbury butchering breaking out left right and centre, a poor Lancastrian knight is dragged out of his hiding place for summary execution and... "We only swing when we're winning"...down comes axe.."swing when we're winning!" (And if you don't think so listen out for God's Company of Tabor chanting come and have a go if you think your hard enough in German-brilliant.)

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Return to “General History”