Victorian Mantle

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Claudia Aliffe

Victorian Mantle

Post by Claudia Aliffe »

Hi there,

Does anyone know where I can source a pattern for a victorian mantle for the late victorian periods pre and post bustle. I want the one with the really fancy false sleeves in it and / or variations that I can adapt. I just can't get my head round the false sleeve bit and the correct construction.

I've tried to attac an image of what I'm after. Hopefully it will work.

Ta very muchy!

Claudia
Attachments
mantel image1.jpg
mantel image1.jpg (2.67 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
mantle image 2.jpg
mantle image 2.jpg (3.01 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
This is a local shop for local people...

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

There are several patterns for mantles/dolmans in Jean Hunnisett's book "Period Costume for Stage and Screen. Patterns for Outer Garments Book ll" The patterns are all taken from original garments and you should be able to find one there that you like. (I own one of the dolmans which is patterned in the book, so feel free to PM me if you like.)

S.

Karen Larsdatter

Re: Victorian Mantle

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

Ageless Patterns has four pages of [url=http://www.agelesspatterns.com/mantles_1.htm]mantle patterns on their website, but I'm not sure which ones are closest to what you're looking for :oops:

Claudia Aliffe

Post by Claudia Aliffe »

Wow, more mantle patterns than I know what to do with! Now if only I could make a decision......!

Many thank guys!

Claudia

Claudia Aliffe

Stuck on sleeves

Post by Claudia Aliffe »

Hello there,

Well I have my pattern and all is looking good but I am really stuck on the sleeves. It looks like the sleeve comes up over the back of the bustle on the illustrations, but I cannot work out which bit. Has anyone done the 1875 Dolman Mantle and has pics or can tell me. I have attached the sleeve to the arm hole but don't know how the rest of the sleeve lower down fixes to the body of the jacket. At the moment it is just hanging down like a normal sleeve which I'm sure can't be right.

Many thanks.

C

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

I have just found this lovely example in black. Have a look quickly as it is on sale in the USA and may not be on this site for long. Love the danglies!!

http://www.babylonmall.com/format11.php ... wpage=item