These forums - undead, or still twitching?

Please post your thoughts, questions, bugs, etc here. I will post announcements here.

Moderator: Moderators

PaulMurphy

These forums - undead, or still twitching?

Postby PaulMurphy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:27 pm

There are apparently 5241 registered members of these forums, and yet the only signs of life in the last month were one event announcement, four items for sale (three of which got zero response), a single post in a thread in the 1100-1500 section, and then a single spam post (advertising sushi in Dubia - not removed) plus the inevitable 4-word story thread in the Friends & Gossip section. It seems we have entered the Zombie Apocalypse, and there are only the shuffling corpses remaining.

Is it time to call it a day?

If not, where is everyone, and why are you not using these forums? Many forum systems have been splintered or replaced by Facebook and other platforms, all of which seem to either be very period-specific and/or closed groups for societies, or which are virtually impossible to find.

I was a moderator on here for a couple of years, and the fall-off in posts is pretty sad, but is it inevitable? I suspect the days of forums have now gone, but do we let it linger painfully, or do we now grant it an honourable funeral with eulogies and a virtual brass plaque to mark its passing?

Paul Murphy
Tournée & The Vikings

cal
Site Admin

Re: These forums - undead, or still twitching?

Postby cal » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:10 pm

The lack of new posts is dis-heartening, but there is a genuine set of daily views which is way more than just webcrawlers and the sponsors are still getting valid links from the site too.

I don't think facebook groups provide the same function but I don't know if forums are live anymore or not in general. Most of the ones I visit now are support forums, but then to a large part that is what these forums are anyway.

I understand why we see less photos and gossip - I think they have gone to facebook.

So, welcome any answers, opinions and suggestions.

Cal Tewkesbury - webmaster

SteveC

Postby SteveC » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:45 pm

It is a problem with all forums, not just this one. Facebook's immediacy means it's easier to dip into. Also, all your 'feeds' are there in one place, you don't have to visit a whole series of websites just to see if anything's happening.

I like forums. In many ways they are much better than Facebook. It's easier to search for things. It's easier for threads to stay on topic. The advertising is much less obtrusive. You don't get the dialogue of the deaf about politics (unless that's what your forum is about) and so on.

But there has to be a certain critical mass for them to work and I worry that here has dropped below that. I will keep visiting. I will keep posting occasionally. I will keep ignoring the 'four word story'.

PaulMurphy

Postby PaulMurphy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:13 pm

We need a tumbleweed icon... :silent:

Paul Murphy

Tournée & The Vikings

Karina

Postby Karina » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:26 pm

I check out these forums most days during the week but I don't necessarily log on. Does that make a difference? Steve C "I will keep ignoring the 'four word story' " :D Me too! Sorry Lord Byron.

There is no such thing as a terrible hat, it just has to find the right head!

Alic

Postby Alic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:42 pm

Don't forget the value of the archive - lots of interesting information freely available without logging on. Much, much easier to use than Facebook (and probably safer?).

SpottyCat

Postby SpottyCat » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:08 am

I also check in here most days but don't post very often. My group also had at least one booking last year as a direct consequence of this forum. Granted, it's not 'all in one place' like FB or other social media, being fed to you, but, for me, the forum still has great value.

cal
Site Admin

Postby cal » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:45 am

If we could get everybody to post 1 new topic and get 1 other person to post 1 new topic every month, it really wouldn't take much to get things revitalised.

These things are self-fulfilling, get a few active people and suddenly the whole thing takes off.

40/- freeholder

Postby 40/- freeholder » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:01 am

Definitely still twitching, both in the alive and bird watching senses.
I have a quick browse through the topics daily, though I rarely log in.
I've never engaged with Facebook & given the recent revelations about the mis-use of Facebook data, I'm very glad I haven't. So, this site is still a valuable resource, not just for the archive and advertisers.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:28 pm

Karina wrote:I check out these forums most days during the week but I don't necessarily log on. Does that make a difference? Steve C "I will keep ignoring the 'four word story' " :D Me too! Sorry Lord Byron.

I check in every so often, but usually the only thing that is updated is the four word story (which I steer clear of using as large a bargepole as is physically possible)

Karina

Postby Karina » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:12 pm

I have put my two peneth worth for this month in the events section. :thumbup:

There is no such thing as a terrible hat, it just has to find the right head!

knirirr

Postby knirirr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:09 am

I still browse here and even post from time to time. One event during the past year was as a result of a post in the "reenactors wanted" section.
As for Facebook, I refuse to create an account there and so forums like this are essential for me. This is not the only hobby of mine which has been so affected by the drift away from forums to that most evil of sites.

Any chance of the sysadmin enabling https here, by the way?

cal
Site Admin

Postby cal » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:45 pm

Re https - why do you want it?

PaulMurphy

Postby PaulMurphy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Paranoia - Chrome, Firefox and a Safari are turning into nagware, complaining that sites using http are “not secure” despite no one caring whether they are or not. Yes, the login name and password are passed unencrypted to the server, but unless you use the same username and password for online banking then this should be a minor concern.

That said, it is the work of minutes to get a certificate from LetsEncrypt and automate its renewal using Certbot on all reputable Linux systems...

Paul Murphy

Tournée & The Vikings

knirirr

Postby knirirr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:49 am

cal wrote:Re https - why do you want it?

The response notification was marked as spam so I didn't see your reply until now - apologies.
PaulMurphy is correct about the ease of using LetsEncrypt (it's also easy to redirect users to the https version).
There's more information here:
https://www.eff.org/encrypt-the-web

cal
Site Admin

Postby cal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Sadly not when hosting on a multi-site windows platform...

knirirr

Postby knirirr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:02 pm

cal wrote:Sadly not when hosting on a multi-site windows platform...

Unfortunate. It does indeed look a little more troublesome:
https://medium.com/beyond-the-helpdesk/ ... 7556c811b4
Luckily for me my job only involves Linux servers.

Times Past

Postby Times Past » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:35 pm

At time this site as been very important to getting bookings that I would not have come across by other means. So much so that I regulary moniter it four times a day.

So no I certanily dont want the site to close and I dont and never will use Facebook or simular platforms.

The only section that I think needs removng is 4 Word Story that dosnt produce anything other than gibberish.

Times Past

Return to “Forum Technical Support and News”