Travelling Fair- UK & Ireland. Work partner wanted. Any help or suggestions welcome!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishRunaway

Travelling Fair- UK & Ireland. Work partner wanted. Any help or suggestions welcome!

Postby IrishRunaway » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:14 pm

First off, so you can picture the person writing this, I’m a female in my 20s:
The idea has come into my head to set up a group who, in a travelling circus type fashion, will tour Ireland and the UK with a medieval fair. I don’t know how practical or feasible this may sound to people, but I think it can be done. Only right now I’m just one person so I’m looking for anyone who might be interested in partnering up and joining the project or suggestions on where I might find people who would be interested? Or any thoughts on the idea in general.

To give a rough idea -the fair would consist of a number of stalls with craftspeople (rope/net making, leatherwork, carpenter, embroidery/textiles etc- I have ideas on how to maximise the range of these while limiting the number of people needed), games for people to play and various performances throughout the day such as musicians & jugglers, puppet show with amazing set, short spectacles by jester/knight actors. Possibly birds (falcons, owls) but this would likely be an outsider who comes in. And food stalls, though again probably coming from someone who does that full time and joins for the day.

I understand it’s a huge undertaking, that a lot of work will need to be put in and that start up costs will be high (though there are plenty of ways to get over that) but I’m fully committed to the project! I’ve wanted a job along these lines for a long time but there just doesn’t seem to be the right thing out there. And who knows what this could grow into? ...if I can get it off the ground! :crazy: So yes, thoughts? Or even better- anybody in?! :D

Henri De Ceredigion

Re: Travelling Fair- UK & Ireland. Work partner wanted. Any help or suggestions welcome!

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:08 am

IrishRunaway wrote:First off, so you can picture the person writing this, I’m a female in my 20s:
The idea has come into my head to set up a group who, in a travelling circus type fashion, will tour Ireland and the UK with a medieval fair. I don’t know how practical or feasible this may sound to people, but I think it can be done. Only right now I’m just one person so I’m looking for anyone who might be interested in partnering up and joining the project or suggestions on where I might find people who would be interested? Or any thoughts on the idea in general.

To give a rough idea -the fair would consist of a number of stalls with craftspeople (rope/net making, leatherwork, carpenter, embroidery/textiles etc- I have ideas on how to maximise the range of these while limiting the number of people needed), games for people to play and various performances throughout the day such as musicians & jugglers, puppet show with amazing set, short spectacles by jester/knight actors. Possibly birds (falcons, owls) but this would likely be an outsider who comes in. And food stalls, though again probably coming from someone who does that full time and joins for the day.

I understand it’s a huge undertaking, that a lot of work will need to be put in and that start up costs will be high (though there are plenty of ways to get over that) but I’m fully committed to the project! I’ve wanted a job along these lines for a long time but there just doesn’t seem to be the right thing out there. And who knows what this could grow into? ...if I can get it off the ground! :crazy: So yes, thoughts? Or even better- anybody in?! :D

That is a very interesting idea I say, it would certainly solve my problem of not having any sign of living history in this part of Wales (Ceredigion) and at the same time could be used to encourage other living history groups in Mid Wales to come to a central point. I do hope that this idea gets off the ground and if it does, then please do come to Ceredigion and Henri will make a beeline for it.

Return to “1100-1500”