What got you interested?

General goss and chatting

Moderator: Moderators

dan_vasey

What got you interested?

Postby dan_vasey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:17 am

Evening all! So I've been talking with friends tonight about what we all got into reenactment for. History, combat, living history, crafting, everything.
For myself it's the history, and in the interest of total disclosure it's also due to the aesthetic (just love the way it looks tbh)!

What exactly is it that got you into reenactment? :-)

Henri De Ceredigion

Re: What got you interested?

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:58 pm

dan_vasey wrote:Evening all! So I've been talking with friends tonight about what we all got into reenactment for. History, combat, living history, crafting, everything. For myself it's the history, and in the interest of total disclosure it's also due to the aesthetic (just love the way it looks tbh)! What exactly is it that got you into reenactment? :-)

With me there were two reasons. Firstly, like you, I like the history (and thought it would be a good way of filling in the gaps) as I don't know that much about the Stuart era and would like to know more. Secondly, it just looks like so much fun (especially if the Americans are any guide) and I have never been able to resist a good sing song

Frances Perry

Postby Frances Perry » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:51 am

I had been practicing HEMA for about 5 years, when a colleague asked me what I knew of the 15th century - it's history and people. I had to admit that I knew about as much as watching Monty Python and the Hold Grail...
So I went along to the Towton Battlefield Society annual remembrance event in 2005 and got hooked straight away. I'm still a member of the TBS, and attend the remembrance event and am in a group with the WoTR FED. I stopped doing HEMA about 6 years ago.

http://www.medievalartandwoodcraft.com

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.” Achille Marozzo, 1536

SpottyCat

Postby SpottyCat » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:36 am

I've always had a love of history but my last job meant I tended to move around a lot, making committing to a group problematic. Last year I changed jobs and it so happened that I met a local Roman group at the Peterborough heritage festival in 2015. Decided to give it a go and haven't looked back. Since then, and due to the 'community' effect of this 'hobby', I have also got involved with a local Medieval group that are lucky enough to do events here: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/longthorpe-tower/.

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:31 pm

My brother died of stomach cancer at the age of 42 and all my friends abandoned me so I was very lonely. Faced with the choice between joining a bereavement support group and endlessly talking about how miserable I felt or getting out, joining something, meeting new people and drinking beer I went for the latter. I'm sure it's what Gary (the fraternal person) would have wanted

Choose Life

Never abandon your friends when they're coping with bereavement

Return to “Friends and Gossip”