Early Medieval Helmet (Durrow High Cross)

Moderator: Moderators

cmmcgarr

Early Medieval Helmet (Durrow High Cross)

Postby cmmcgarr » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:14 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew anything or could recognize this helmet type from a warrior on the High Cross at Durrow (thought to be showing Cain and Abel).  The pointed top made me think Norman style (and so Viking-inspired), but the cheek-plates and rigid-looking plate on the back of the neck looks Late Roman-- a native development maybe?  What do you all think, does it match any other known helmet examples, or could it be a native Irish style we haven't seen elsewhere?
Attachments
Durrow%20mon%20001L.jpg
Durrow%20mon%20001L.jpg (52.75 KiB) Viewed 258 times

Neil of Ormsheim

Re: Early Medieval Helmet (Durrow High Cross)

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:37 am

Given the erosion & wear on the carving, it's extremely difficult to interpret what, exactly, the Cain figure is wearing on their head. It could be a 'Spangen Helm' type helmet, it might have a solid neck piece - but then again - it could be an interpretation of a maille aventail; it could be an interpretation of some form of soft hat. If it is Cain and Able, why would either be wearing a helmet? It was a murder, not a battle...... I would suggest searching for any archaeological reports and detailed examinations of the cross (including better pictures) before trying to figure out what's what.
Not very helpful, I know, but we need to be very careful when guessing at interpretations........

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Return to “410-1100”