Plague Doctors in UK

Moderator: Moderators

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Plague Doctors in UK

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:58 am

Anybody know of any PRIMARY sources for the above in the UK, specifcally England but happy to look at Scotland, Wales and ireland.

I mean the classic beaked and hooded figure beloved of horror films and dungeon attractions everywhere. I have the names of two 'plague doctors' in Edinburgh and one in London but no proof they were dressed in any way other than normal attire.

All the main evidence, artefacts, period drawings and references, seem to be continental.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Henri De Ceredigion

Re: Plague Doctors in UK

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:29 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:Anybody know of any PRIMARY sources for the above in the UK, specifcally England but happy to look at Scotland, Wales and ireland.

Thanks to the Welsh government making bus travel free of a weekend, when I have a spare weekend would you like to go to the National Library in Aberystwyth and see what they can dig up?

SpudUk

Postby SpudUk » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:04 am

Aren't there drawings from the time of the classic beaked plague doctor? I am sure I have seen this somewhere.

I too would be interested in any primary accounts, and accounts of exactly what they did

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:14 am

Yes, a fair few. Read the articles that have been posted above. But its evidence they were ever in UK. Of which I';d have to say no, the evidence is scant in the extreme.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “1603-1715”