Big reenactment events in UK

Job adverts for re-enactors, schools, film, tv and events organisers please post here.

Moderator: Moderators

Elista

Big reenactment events in UK

Postby Elista » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi!

I am looking for big reenactment events (i.e. with more than 100 reenactors) and more taking place in the UK for the second season of a documentary series about reenactors, all periods combined.

Our TV series is called "L'Histoire dans la peau" ("Living History", if you will) and aims at following diverse reenactors in various places on the planet (France, United States, Belgium, Russia). We wish to explore the world of men and women who are passionate about history and who work hard to reenact important historical moments of the past. We aim at giving a voice to those who, because of their passion, allow us to keep in memory milestones in history, giving us the opportunity to see and experience an important historical moment. The idea is to hear the re-enactors talk about this part of history and to discover the preparation behind a reenactment with the utmost respect for them. It is a Canada-France co-production.

For the first season, our film crews have shot reenactments such as the Battle of Little Bighorn in Montana, D-Day Conneaut in Ohio, an episode of the American Revolution in Quebec and the Battle of Wavre in Belgium to name a few. Not only do we shoot the battle reenactment itself but also everything else related to the event, especially in the encampments, to gather information about how people lived in a specific era.

Any suggestions?

I was also wondering if there are reenactments of the Wars of Scottish Independence.

Thank you for your help!

Stephen

Re: Big reenactment events in UK

Postby Stephen » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:50 am

Hi Elista,

Invasion Kent in May will probably be the largest Napoleonic event in UK next year. Contact the Napoleonic Association for details.

Alothough not in UK, also consider visiting Viking Fight Week at Moesgaard, Denmark in the last week of July.

Bryan of Skirbeck

Postby Bryan of Skirbeck » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:25 am

The Tournament in Conwy (North Wales) looks like it's going to be a good one on June 24th & 25th - http://thetournament.co.uk/index.html

Times Past

Postby Times Past » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:44 am

Centenary of the Battle of Passcendeale in June

SpottyCat

Postby SpottyCat » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:59 pm

You did not give a time limit during which you were looking for the events but off the top of my head, big events in the UK would likely include:

The Tewkesbury Medieval Festival and Battle re-enactment - attracts thousands of participants from all over Europe and is likely to take place around 8/9 Jul 17.
Eburacum Roman Festival planned for 3/4 Jun 17 - Fairly new but will, in all likelihood, attract over the 100 you cited next year.
Peterborough Heritage Festival is certainly one of the largest multi-period city centre events in the UK (37500 visitors and over 200 reenactors last year) and is planned for late June/early July.

All these events should have Facebook pages at some point (some already do) as well as a dedicated website in the case of Tewkesbury.

Hope this helps.

SC

Elista

Postby Elista » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone! I appreciate it. I didn't give a timeframe but we hope to be able to begin the production sometime in 2017.

For the present season, we are heading to Battle, East Sussex, for the Battle of Hastings in October. I am so jealous of our film crew who will have the chance to film this event!

Cheers,

Elista

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:05 pm

Unfortunately, due to lack of money and inability to organise, there haven't been any big events of the Scottish wars of independence for several years, and I've not heard of any in 2017 either.

Return to “Re-enactors Wanted”