To prevent the misuse of the Buy and Sell section the Moderators will now be more proactive in this area.
The following guidelines should help you understand what is expected:
- All items listed in Buy and Sell should be specifically related to re-enactors and re-enactment.
- The Buy and Sell section is principly intended for individuals and not for traders.
- Traders posting frequently or excessively will be warned and may have their topics deleted. Persistant behaviour may lead to the user being banned from the forum.
- No bumping. Unnecessary updates should not be made to a thread in order to improve it's position in the list.
- When an item is sold, please edit the title of the thread to start with the word "SOLD".
Thank you for your co-operation.
Additional Guidance to Traders posting in Buy and Sell.
The moderators will judge every case on it's merits, but here is some additional guidance to help you understand what is expected.
Believe it or not there are some people who will try to ignore, abuse, bend or side step the spirit of the guidelines.
For this reason, some of this guidance may seem a little harsh or unfair, but it is so that the moderators can enforce a reasonable, consistent set of rules without favouritism.
Am I a Trader?
We will consider you to be a trader if:
- You have a known re-enactment business; e.g. you have a stall at events/fairs or you have a website selling goods, etc, or are an event organiser or provider of services to reenactment.
- You sell items "as new"; this will include "hobby" business and anyone who makes for "no profit"/"cost only". [sorry]
- In addition, the moderators may also, at their discretion, decide someone selling quantities of second hand items over an extended period is actually trading.
If this is the case, the moderators will discuss it with the user involved first; it is not our intention to penalise the people who are always selling old kit to fund their new kit habit.
When can Traders post?
- A trader can post once to announce their business to the community. The post may contain a link to a website and/or contact details, a description of the business and one or two images.
The post should not contain lists of the items stocked [with or without prices].
The post should not contain large numbers of images.
- A trader may post infrequently [once or twice a year] to highlight special items for sale, new lines or discounted items.
Again these posts should be brief, contain only one or two images, and not have large lists of stock. If necessary post a link to a web page with more details.
- Traders own second hand items will be treated as if they are special items of stock, since there is no way for the moderators to differentiate.
- These post titles will be prefaced ANNOUNCEMENT rather than FOR SALE.
ADVERTISING FORMAT AND CONVENTIONS
- We have cleared this section down from 22 pages of deadwood to 3 - 4 pages of live adverts to make this a short, repeatedly-browsable list and iaim to keep it so - your compliance is gratefully anticipated.
- Title all adverts FOR SALE or WANTED or ON EBAY: this makes scanning the whole list quicker so older adverts still get browsed. (Or ANNOUNCEMENT - see above).
- Please edit to SOLD / SORTED / ENDED into your advert title to help us keep the lists short and current. 'Sold' as the last post is of little help; we don't have time to re-read each advert daily.
- 'WANTEDS' - If you have asked for help and had a satisfactory answer, please let us know so we can close the thread. Threads which have attracted a lot of useful information will be moved to the relevant section so that the advice isn't lost.
- "ON EBAY" linking to ebay auctions is fine. Including direct links to the auction work better than just the item number. Once ended, please edit "ENDED / SOLD" into the advert title. Adverts will be deleted once the auction is over.
- If you want to add information, price changes, notify a change to an ebay auction etc then edit it into your original post or your title. Bumps will be deleted.
- Showcase your work in the relevant period specific date section /creative works - not here: Buy and Sell is for selling one-off completed spare items, not for angling for 'another like this made to order' or selling in batches - which comes under the 'Trader' definition.
- Get advice on what to buy in the period / topic specific sections where people can give a wider range of unbiased advce - which often includes who can supply. No-one could guarantee accurate or altruistic advice in response to vague "WANTEDS".
- Post lists of items for sale rather than lots of single items adverts. A list of items for sale is more effective, saves webspace and simplifies keeping track of your sales. You can add extra items into your top post without problems. Please prune sold items from your advert list to keep the listings live: focus buyers attention on wanting what is for sale.
- Please keep images to a minimum (you can send more by email) and SMALL (they eat space) . Superfluous or over-large images need deleting. Post as many picture links to a photo-hosting site as you wish .....as long as they don't load here.
- Stating measurements / materials / condition as part of the original post sells things much quicker than answering requests for the same.
- If your offer or request is withdrawn or hasn't had interest after some months please let us know that it can be deleted. If no replies were posted you can do this yourself, otherwise ask a Moderator.
ALL ADVERTS ARE DELETED ON THE EXPIRY DEADLINE - presently 6 months after the original insertion date, no matter where the advert sits on the lists.
OR becuase the item appears from the replies to be sold/ found / acquired and the poster has not replied to PMs asking for clarification .
OR if the poster has not followed the rules, or complied with moderation requests and further action.
OR if the item offered for sale / sought after is not legally to be offered or sought on such a forum. SEE GUIDELINES FOR FIREARMS IN PARTICULAR.
Banner owners now have their own marketplace. Don't forget to look the Sponsor's adverts and announcements section to see what is new, available or on offer from businesses who have banner adverts - follow the links on their posts to their websites for full and current details and prices.
IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM OR QUERY ASK OR CHECK WITH A MODERATOR FIRST. The aim of this section is simply to get your cast-off kit out of your dining room and sold to people who need or appreciate it, as quickly and neatly as possible