Insurance

General goss and chatting

Moderator: Moderators

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Re: Insurance

Postby Skevmeister » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:50 am

I would suggest talking to the Early Medieval Alliance they are an umbrella group that gets a faily good isnurance policy for member groups based on volume; they might be able to reduce it a bit. But apart from that what Matt said really.

Skev

ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:57 pm

This looks good for trading folk.

Griff

http://www.cmtia.co.uk/id10.html

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

paste

Postby paste » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi Folks,
John Hughes has now set up a new policy with "Towergate Insurance Ltd" - he brings all his previous experience to the job, and has a very competitive rate and understands re-enactment and its public liability limitations.
John gave a fantastic symposium on Re-enactment Insurance at the October International Living History Fair, and we hopehe will be able to repeat this at the February show on Feb 22-24th 2013 at Bruntingthorpe, near Leicester.
For details please see the website at www.livinghistoryfairs.co.uk
Regards,
Dave Allan (Director) - Pike And Shot Events Limited

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:51 pm

paste wrote:John Hughes has now set up a new policy with "Towergate Insurance Ltd" - he brings all his previous experience to the job, and has a very competitive rate and understands re-enactment and its public liability limitations.

I've been using it all year; I can't recommend John and his service highly enough.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu May 09, 2013 12:34 pm

A word of warning. I just had my insurance renewal through. I was using Black Friars for group insurance. I did some checking with them as I wasn't happy with the policy wording. They don't cover explosives so that means no black powder. You are only covered up to £2m for fires which isn't enough for the NT and EH and many other clients. They were also found my questions very difficult to answer. A friend of mine just renewed with them and has now found out the above, he wasn't happy and rang them he thinks they might be able to change the cover but my experience tells me this won't be the case.
The message is CHECK YOUR POLICY YOU MAY NOT BE COVERED.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Fri May 10, 2013 9:33 am

Tod wrote:The message is CHECK YOUR POLICY YOU MAY NOT BE COVERED.

Amen.

I had the same problem with an insurer some years ago when, after the policy was issued, they provided guidelines for black-powder use. I can't believe anyone in any period of re-enactment has ever operated under the terms they provided.
They were however very amenable to amending to more sensible procedures.

Again, I think is why it's always worth getting a quote from John Hughes, even if you eventually go with someone else; because he understands the things that re-enactors get up to.

paste

Postby paste » Sat May 11, 2013 8:51 am

Hi Folks,
If anyone would like to find out about the "ins and outs" of Insurance policys, and have a chance to ask those difficult questions face to face instead of over the telephone, then John Hughes will be at the International Living History Fair at Bruntingthorpe on October 25th - 27th.
We may be able to organise a Symposium for everyone if there is enough interest.
Please let me know via this forum.
Thanks
Dave Allan (PASTE)

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Sat May 11, 2013 8:54 am

Fox wrote: I can't believe anyone in any period of re-enactment has ever operated under the terms they provided.

having watched a vast selection of the HS briefings and instructions and read RAs at events....... I'd agree.

is there any FIRST HAND account of re-enactment insurance paying out?

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

The Keeper of Mings Coat

Postby The Keeper of Mings Coat » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:13 pm

Anyone recommend an insurance company for a re-enactment groups kit van? You know the kind of thing, low annual mileage, used a dozen times or so etc.

Seems to confuse most, even brokers!

Thanks.

We're here to defend democracy, not practice it!

Dingo8MyBaby

Postby Dingo8MyBaby » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:54 pm

The Keeper of Mings Coat wrote:Anyone recommend an insurance company for a re-enactment groups kit van? You know the kind of thing, low annual mileage, used a dozen times or so etc.

Seems to confuse most, even brokers!

Thanks.

I have used http://www.autonetinsurance.co.uk/ for the past couple of years. No matter how little or infrequently you use the van there will always be a minimum policy price. Last time I renewed with them I got them to load on legal cover for free :)

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:06 pm

Has anyone got John Hughes contact details? I spoke to him at the ILHF but have lost his card.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:15 pm

google towergate insurance

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:50 pm

There's no phone number on there. I ended up going through the Towergate Facebook page and sending them a message that they will pass on.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:32 pm

John Hughes ACII I Chartered Insurance Broker
Client Director I E: john.hughes@towergate.co.uk
Mobile: 07540 200733 I www.towergatehull.co.uk
Towergate Insurance
Henry Boot Way, Priory Park East, HULL HU4 7DY
Towergate Insurance is a trading name of Towergate Underwriting Group Ltd

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:00 pm

I'm downsizing with a view to retiring when I reach 90 :crazy: I'm keeping my trading/house/workshop/motor insurance with the NMTF and Marketline as I get a good deal. As I've stopped visiting schools I'm looking for new insurance for my activity sessions in museums and at fairs. I'm just doing domestic stuff involving wool and flowers and board games etc. I'd like cheap as I'm already paying out for the other stuff. Really, I just need to cover PL as all my kit is already covered. Any recommendations?

Tudor toys and accessories
http://www.anniethepedlar.com

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:30 pm

I've always found Towergates to be a decent company and I'm glad to see them survive the recent unpleasantness.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:03 am

Was recently told by John Hughes that the Towergate insurance Partnership are no longer interested in my, or any other historical business and, useful chap that he is, has passed me on to Gary Alexander at http://www.thebeechtree.com who do lots of leisure and entertainment insurance stuff.

Policies renewed at same levels as before no problems.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks for this Griff I received a form from Towergate saying that Hiscosx would be taking over a quick read of the form left me with a list of questions so another avenue is good.

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Montsegur

Postby Montsegur » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:54 pm

I missed this post originally but can also recommend Gary - we moved to him about 10yrs ago and have always found him competitive and able to provide suitable policies not just for our re-enactment events (and group shows) but other non re-enactment events

Scotland's Festival of History
http://www.scotlandsfestivalofhistory.co.uk

The Keeper of Mings Coat

Postby The Keeper of Mings Coat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:48 pm

Might be the wrong thread, but can anyone recommend household insurers who are ok with black powder (up to 15Kg) storage? I'd like to expand my options.

thanks,

We're here to defend democracy, not practice it!

Return to “Friends and Gossip”