West Midlands Crafter seeks stone-age to dark group

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

skalla

West Midlands Crafter seeks stone-age to dark group

Postby skalla » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:18 pm

Hey, as the title says i'm looking to get involved with a re-enactment group!

I'm a crafter of wood, bone and horn/antler primarily, though i can (or could, a few years back) also make felt, glass beads, work flint and smith a little too. I'm not fully using only ancient tools/processes to do this but would love to join a group where i can, as well as taking part in experiments, gear/tool making, workshop construction, doing craft-demos and all such good stuff.

I'm pretty useful with a lot of traditional crafts really, but wouldn't be interested in combat until i've sussed things out at the very least due to some long standing injuries and a wish not to aggravate them for the gazillionth time!

I studied archaeology a long time ago, read history, myths and sagas etc, and would be interested in groups dealing with the mesolithic up to about 1000ad.

I make selfbows a bit too ( a recent pass-time) and have "some" training in celtic languages a long time back, though to say i'm rusty would be an extraordinary understatement.

Oh...I'm a dude in his 40's based in the Black Country and a family friendly group would be preferable as it would be great if my lad of 8 could get involved in some manner.

Ta!

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: West Midlands Crafter seeks stone-age to dark group

Postby John Waller » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:56 pm

http://svartland.webs.com/ might fit the bill?

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

skalla

Postby skalla » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:22 pm

John Waller wrote:http://svartland.webs.com/ might fit the bill?

Jolly interesting, many thanks for the input :up:

CH1LLYD0GG

Postby CH1LLYD0GG » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:04 am

Hi

Draca bedor https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1 ... =typeahead is a new group who are preparing for their first season in 2016. A nice friendly bunch with a few old heads that have been around many years & bring their family (my kids are 4, 6 & 13) & they love reenactment.

It is a dark age group with the latest event being the battle of Hastings. The groups main aim is a good couple of hundred years before that though.

Casual members are welcome. Combat or camp - both highly valued. Our members at the moment are a bit south of you with the nearest cluster being bristol. Events wise though we'll be the right part of the country for most of it :)

Hope you find what your looking for - good luck

The White Seax has a space for you!!!

Ulfar

Postby Ulfar » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:01 pm

PM sent.

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:56 pm

You could check out Stowacyn, the Friends of West Stow www.weststow.org or see the West Stow Anglo Saxon Village FB group. We have a whole village of recreated houses, a forge and bread oven. Stow is only just east of Cambridge, off the A11. Children tend to dress up, form an alliance with other children and spend the whole w/e running around.

Stowacyn do a May event and aYule event. Early dark ages is pretty easy to make as there's no tailoring. Bone workers really welcome :)

skalla

Postby skalla » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:26 pm

FionaDowson wrote:You could check out Stowacyn, the Friends of West Stow http://www.weststow.org or see the West Stow Anglo Saxon Village FB group. We have a whole village of recreated houses, a forge and bread oven. Stow is only just east of Cambridge, off the A11. Children tend to dress up, form an alliance with other children and spend the whole w/e running around.

Stowacyn do a May event and aYule event. Early dark ages is pretty easy to make as there's no tailoring. Bone workers really welcome :)

Thanks Fiona, i spend quite a lot of time in nearby Northampton so i hope be able to get down to check you out sometime.

On a general note to my OP, i think i have found a local group who's schedule matches mine so i'm no longer looking for a local group.

Return to “Societies”