HELP!

Moderator: Moderators

Aelle

HELP!

Postby Aelle » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:46 pm

I know this is an embarrassingly simple question but,i've searched high and low and have never found an answer to it....in relation to the tribal (and therefore dynastic) Mercian name Iclingas,is the singular form Icling or Iclinga,i'm sorry to bother people with this but it is important to me and my OE/OG is not as good as it should be...many thanks in advance :) .

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: HELP!

Postby Brother Ranulf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:22 pm

This is called a "patronymic suffix", in other words it indicates that the first element is the name of a male ancestor or father figure. The plural is -ingas, the singular -ing. In your case the first element is likely Icel or Icil. For example:

on Engliscre sprǽce, Penda, and of ðam Pending (. . . in the English language Penda, and [one of his people] Pending).

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Aelle

Postby Aelle » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:17 pm

Many thanks,Brother Ranulf,i take it,then,that Icling would be the correct "title" in a 7th century context,that sorts out one problem on the list anyway :thumbup: .

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:24 pm

Ic is often taken as being an East Anglian thing, as in Iceni, Icknield Way, villages like Icklingham

Return to “410-1100”