Snapshots from the Boer War

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Chris, yclept John Barber

Snapshots from the Boer War

Postby Chris, yclept John Barber » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Confession: I haven't read this yet but it has been recommended by a work colleague and I thought that the unusual subject would be of interest to many of the re-enactors on here.

Snapshots From The Boer War (by Owen David Powell) contains more than 90 previously unpublished photographs taken in South Africa during the Boer War by a British soldier (Lance Corporal Charles Powell) whilst serving as an infantry telegraphist. These snaps were taken by him on a box brownie camera and show many aspects of his time there including, tented encampments and camp life, bivouacking in the field, uniforms and kit, veldt clearance and blockhouses, transport in trucks pulled by traction engines, rest time, armoured trains, a train destroyed by Boer Commandos and much more.

The author, Charles Powell’s great-grandson, has extensively researched his story and has produced a narrative to the photographs which had previously little written information with them in Charles’ photo album. The book is well illustrated with other relevant family snaps, photos of memorabilia and maps. It will be of significant interest to anyone with a passion for late Victorian / early Edwardian military, social, communications, transport, or photographic history.

Available from Amazon as a Kindle download for Kindle, iPad and PC.
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=SNAPSHOTS%20FROM%20THE%20BOER%20WAR%20>

Of course he has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives - it's 1183 and we're barbarians.

Ne'erdowell
Post Knight

Re: Snapshots from the Boer War

Postby Ne'erdowell » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Cheers, sounds promising and I posted the link elsewhere to share it with some fellow enthousiasts. The Boer War is one of my main interests, and a
re-enactment interest too. Won't buy the book myself, though, as it's restricted to Kindle users.

7thLeicesters

Re: Snapshots from the Boer War

Postby 7thLeicesters » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:16 pm

A 'real' copy is due out in the future....

I've seen the book, absolutely fantastic, well worth the money even though I had to pinch someone else's iPad to view it!

We are a circus Squadron, we are old '22'
And binge and rev and joyride is all we're fit to do!

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”