How did a Lancastrian end up in a Scottish Regiment?

Moderator: Moderators

simonw

How did a Lancastrian end up in a Scottish Regiment?

Postby simonw » Sun May 26, 2013 9:36 pm

My grandfather signed up in Manchester in 1914/15. He ended up in 8th Seaforth Highlanders. We have no knowledge of the circumstances surrounding it. He had no scottish connections. Would he have just been assigned a regiment, or would he have been able to request it? There is little info on the web about the mechanics of signing up.

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Re: How did a Lancastrian end up in a Scottish Regiment?

Postby Lord Byron » Mon May 27, 2013 1:34 am

simonw wrote:My grandfather signed up in Manchester in 1914/15. He ended up in 8th Seaforth Highlanders. We have no knowledge of the circumstances surrounding it. He had no scottish connections. Would he have just been assigned a regiment, or would he have been able to request it? There is little info on the web about the mechanics of signing up.

Given the date is prior to the introduction of conscription it would almost certainly have been his choice, whether the reason being something like falling under the influence of some smooth-tongued recruiting party or as simple as the style of uniform appealing to his own personal tastes will probably never be known. Incidentally, the relative that inspired me to put together 2nd Seaforth kit enlisted with them in 1910/11, and was killed at Meteren with them in October 1914. Like your grandfather, he had no Scottish connections, and had been born and raised with the rest of his family in Bath! I think he must have just liked the colour of their kilt... :D

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

Dannolad

Postby Dannolad » Mon May 27, 2013 9:12 am

I know this is WW2 not Great War, but my Dad was wounded in Burma as a Wiltshire Regiment soldier, and after release from hospital was transferred to the Worcestershire Regiment as they were billeted in Rangoon where the Hospital was and the Wilts had been withdrawn.

AndyandHelen

Postby AndyandHelen » Mon May 27, 2013 7:33 pm

People would get moved to where the army wanted them or where they got enlisted. Take these examples, my pre adoptive grandfather and his best mate both from N Yorks and both somehow ended up as tankies in the Sharpshooters Yeomanry (that's the County of London unit)(the one that got shot up at Villiers Bocage by Michael Wittmann). The other example is my Great Uncle Fred who although a Halifax Tyke ended up in 2/4 KOYLI which technically recruited from Wakefield/Doncaster/Goole and Pontefract area. Last ones are my Uncle Alan's both postwar, one ended up in a non Yorks RAC Regt (ie not the Yorkshire RTR unit was it 2RTR? Nor 4/7 RDG nor 13/18 Hussars) the other one again another wessie ended up in the Green Howards (ie the North Yorks mob). Great War personnel did tend to end up in the area they were recruited from although Guernseymen until the RGLI was formed ended up in Irish units!

Return to “1900 onwards”