earrings in the 15th century

Moderator: Moderators

phendriks

earrings in the 15th century

Postby phendriks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:19 am

First of all i would like to thank everyone for their help in my previous question thread.

for a fellow reenactor im researching whether it is historically correctly possible for his daughter to wear earrings whilst on reenactment,
however im finding difficulties in finding good manuscript references, does any of you know anything?

Thanks a load!

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Re: earrings in the 15th century

Postby Phil the Grips » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:29 am

Note the caveat on them being an artistic shorthand for "exotic" or "different"

http://www.larsdatter.com/earrings.htm

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Yep, lots of pictures of Moors, Gypsies and arabic types wearing earings, but you dont seem to see them on english women, even on portraits of women with a lot of other jewelry.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:28 pm

If the issue is simply that she doesn't want to take her earings out, she might just be better with one of the styles of female headcovering that covers all the hair and ears. It has the benefit of also covering any modern hairstyles.

http://www.larsdatter.com/frilled-veils.htm

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:27 am

And to further back what Dave has said, just because they are shown in pictures of Moorish/Turkish/Roma/Jewish people, this still doesn't mean that they were commonly worn by even them. Like the long beards worn to show men in them" olden days" (before the artist was alive) they could just be an allegoric reference to the extra ordinary nature of the subject.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Karen Larsdatter

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Earrings would have been highly unusual for a woman in 15th century England or in western Europe in general (see http://larsdatter.com/earrings.htm of course).

I agree with Dave B; rather than try to find a "period" pair (I suspect there are plenty of jewelers willing to sell gaudy earrings and tell you, "Yep, they're really-truly 15th century!") it would be better either to not wear earrings at all, or to wear a simple pair that can be covered by a period-appropriate headdress. In addition to the frilled/goffered veils, there's also plenty of simpler options, depending on what sort of portrayal you're going for. There's the open hoods, for example, and various styles of white linen caps (it's a bit late for the St. Birgitta style of cap, but that keeps the ears uncovered anyway; there's also a Swiss/South German headdress described starting on page 12 of http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/dragon-6.pdf but that may not be appropriate for an English portrayal).

There are other styles of 15th women's headwear that cover the ears as well -- I know there are a couple of terms reenactors for this particular type of coif or cap (perhaps a "tailed coif" or something like that?) -- but see this illo from the Hours of Anne of Brittany for example. This would also serve to cover her ears quite well. (Hmm -- maybe it's time to start collecting examples to start assembling a linkspage on this topic ...)

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:47 pm

I think that would be an excellent resource. Certainly in WOTR reenactment in this country there is far too much ladies modern hair on show, often from ladies who's kit isn't otherwise bad. I suspects that is because modern people just don't think about hats so much and because people aren't really sure what to put on their heads that is correct, isn't a faf, or too hot. I'm sure a bit of ideas help would be good.

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:45 pm

There's also the issue of controlling your short, modern fringe.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Karen Larsdatter

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:06 pm

Okeydokey - linkspage developed!
http://www.larsdatter.com/tailed-coifs.htm

This little white linen cap would cover her ears, as well as keeping modern hairstyles (including fringe) covered up.

There are a few different patterns for this style of cap, including a few experimental re-creations by various re-enactors (which you can see among the links at the top of the page). The style seems to change a bit throughout the period when it seems to have been most popular -- the last quarter of the 15th century.

Should also note that the only examples I've found so far have been in manuscripts produced in France. I don't know for sure whether they wouldn't have been worn elsewhere -- Historic Enterprises' version of the cap is noted as "often seen in paintings of 15th C. French and Flemish country women, and seems to have been especially popular in the Lowland counties and Burgundy," so I'm assuming at this point (since this is a fairly new topic for me) that it's just that I haven't found it elsewhere yet, not that it doesn't exist outside of c. 1475-1500 France.

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:54 pm

i dunno it seems to me the simple solution is just take em out

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:25 pm

*slaps head* Now why didn't I think of that?

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:32 am

Brian la Zouche wrote:i dunno it seems to me the simple solution is just take em out

Depending on the type of piercing, that may not be enough.

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:04 pm

i cant think of any that you cant take out and put back in( unless of course just had em done, but then thats only for a week ) , which includes auricles, tragus etc... and true if stretched to any sort of extent, then that would be noticable

tongue studs a right pain to put back in, even after a short time,, but i dont know of any earring type that cant be put back in easy, at least for the time that mops are about

although i do take the intial question to be one of, ''can they be worn'' ? more than ''how can i hide them ?''

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:14 am

Quite.

Return to “1100-1500”