Greaves or the lack thereof, 1400s

Moderator: Moderators

Zachos

Greaves or the lack thereof, 1400s

Postby Zachos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:07 pm

Hey guys

I was wondering what people's opinion of wearing full cuisses with no greaves is? My problem is that I can't think of any picture where such a set up is worn before the 16th century, and I notice every time a photo has someone wearing just cuisses. Does anyone have some first hand evidence for this being done, because I'd really love it to be the case.

Zac

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

wulfenganck

Re: Greaves or the lack thereof, 1400s

Postby wulfenganck » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:20 am

Good question....as I do the same, because my greaves actually don't fit that well and sort of put pressure on my instep.....
Out of memory I only can think of a drawing by Albrecht Dürer, depicting an armoured rider in the "old" fashion = 15th ct gothic style; but that's as well from 1512...

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:16 pm

No, I don't think I've seen any. There are several pictures from the swiss illustrated chronicles ( Schilling the elder if I remember right) that look like it. but when you look closely they are knee length tassets.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Friesian

Postby Friesian » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:43 pm

Not seen any either , though I would think it slightly more probable than wearing greaves without cuisses as seen on many reenactors ....That just seems obviously wrong (and looks a bit silly)

wulfenganck

Postby wulfenganck » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:06 pm

Friesian wrote:Not seen any either , though I would think it slightly more probable than wearing greaves without cuisses as seen on many reenactors ....That just seems obviously wrong (and looks a bit silly)
Okay, that must look odd.....still buggers me not to have any reference for the cuisses-only....keep on looking (or maybe buy decent cusisses AND greaves instead?)

Friesian

Postby Friesian » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:55 pm

wulfenganck wrote:
Friesian wrote:Not seen any either , though I would think it slightly more probable than wearing greaves without cuisses as seen on many reenactors ....That just seems obviously wrong (and looks a bit silly)
Okay, that must look odd.....still buggers me not to have any reference for the cuisses-only....keep on looking (or maybe buy decent cusisses AND greaves instead?)

To be honest I would guess that the main reason reenactors use cuisses without greaves must be either (a) cost of a DECENT pair made to fit or (b) the cheap pair that they own hurt like buggery because they're a poor fit & jam on the instep .........Which makes it even more incredible that you get to see people at Tewkesbury every year with just the greaves on !

Keep us posted on how your research goes :thumbup:

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:21 am

The earliest reference I know of showing cuisses being worn without greaves is in The Sketchbook of Villard de Honnecourt, circa 1230 AD, but the individual (possibly de Honnecourt himself) is wearing the cuisses over back laced mail chausses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Villa ... ecourt.jpg

Brendan C

That's not a new dawn, that's some Norman bastard burning down your village

Return to “1100-1500”