Brigandines and Jousting

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Tiamat

Brigandines and Jousting

Postby Tiamat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:40 am

I was wondering if there is anyone on this board who was experience with the use of brigandine armour (with lungplates) for jousting? I'm looking to buy jousting armour and I'm still torn between a brig or a regular breast plate. Reasons for wanting a brig is because of the freedom of movement (our jousting show includes various stunts and probably horse-cascades in the future) and because we want to show a variety of arms and armours in our show. (Last but not least, because they are so damn pretty, haha :D ).

I'm not too concerned about regular hits, but I wonder what a ferrule hit (when the wood splinters and the steel ferrule hits the armour) will do to the brig. Even with feathersteel jousting armours we often suffer bruises or even cut skin when faced with a particular nasty ferrule hit...

On a sidenote, the brig will be combined with a large jousting shield that actually covers most of the breast, and spalders instead of pauldrons. So the chance of a straight ferrule on the brig is relatively small, but there's always a chance that the ferrule will somehow slide of the spalders and slip underneath the shield...(and yes, I have had that before :o ).

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: Brigandines and Jousting

Postby John Waller » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:12 pm

I've no experience of jousting or wearing brigandines, but surely hits as you describe would at least rip up the fabric covering of the plates and possibly damage or shear the rivet/nail heads?

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Tiamat

Postby Tiamat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Yes, a straight ferrule on the brig will probably tear the fabric, which will then have to be mended. During joust practice I have also ridden with special body protectors (that are lighter, making it easier to practice lowering and straightening the lances) and a ferrule hit on one of those left a 30cm scratch (not complete tear, luckily) on the outer layer.

That said, a straight ferrule on a steel breatplate will also make dents and we also had pauldrons and arms that were bent by them in the past. So I fully expect the brig to 'suffer' a little. But a ferrule is a 'freak' hit - they certainly don't happen during every run and we do our best to avoid them, as they are fairly unpleasant for both horse and rider (the impact is so great that you either get tossed out the saddle, and if you don't, the resulting smack unbalances the horse).

A bit of damage is not the problem, that's what the equipment is for. I'm mostly interested in the shock absorption abilities of the brig - will it be able to deflect the blow enough for the rider to emerge relatively unscathed?

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:13 am

from experience of asssiting int he construction of stuff that goes under armour.We ahve elarnt to ask what a person is planning on using as chest protection and we increase the padding on an arming doublet if its for a brig

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:21 am

Will West used to joust in a brigandine, reinforced with a solid plackart and tassets

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Tiamat

Postby Tiamat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:30 am

Thank you all for your replies!

The arming doublet that I will wear underneath will consist of four layers of heavy linen, and the brig will be used in combination with a joust-shield.

wulfenganck

Postby wulfenganck » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:35 am

I remember Tobi Capwell jousting in Berne 2008 with an "al antiqua"-style armour, using a combination of brigandine and a breastplate covering the upper chest. It seemed to work fine, but as I wrote: a combination of brigandine and plate.

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Everyone I know of who jousts regularly in a brigandine tends to augment it with a placart or breastplate. Will is riding in a brigandine again, with a large placart over the top, and he says that although he's planning a new cuirass, it's not because he feels particularly unsafe. He wears his over a historic enterprises doublet.

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Return to “Costumes”