Sourcing Shark / Ray Skin 'sandpaper'

Moderator: Moderators

Paul D

Sourcing Shark / Ray Skin 'sandpaper'

Postby Paul D » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:23 pm

Can someone please tell me where I can get hold of some shark or ray skin (shagreen) that I can use as "Tudor sandpaper", without having to take out a second mortgage?

Thanks in anticipation.
Last edited by Alice the Huswyf on Wed May 11, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please follow the format requested

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Re: WANTED ;Shark / Ray Skin

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Unfortunately you are going to spend some money. Try Traditional materials through tod http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/index.htm, they have a stock of the weird and wonderful. Or nip down to somewhere next the sea with a decent fishing community and ask about. Dog skin is fine for sandpaper. Shagreen is a different thing entirely, for scabbards etc. Needs to be a bit tougher.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

PoD

Postby PoD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:53 pm

what size peice you after? They do a 7"x4" peice of ray skin on ebay for £4.50 with shipping

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Piece-Stingray-Hi ... 2560ea740c

...and then I discovered the wine!

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:46 pm

Mark Griffin wrote:Unfortunately you are going to spend some money. Try Traditional materials through tod http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/index.htm, they have a stock of the weird and wonderful. Or nip down to somewhere next the sea with a decent fishing community and ask about. Dog skin is fine for sandpaper. Shagreen is a different thing entirely, for scabbards etc. Needs to be a bit tougher.

Thanks Mark. I had checked out Tod already. I live quite near Southend so maybe I need to chat up local fishermen. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:47 pm

PoD wrote:what size peice you after? They do a 7"x4" peice of ray skin on ebay for £4.50 with shipping

Great pod - logged on - saw it - bought it. You're a star (and it wno't break the bank). Cheers!

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:19 am

Lightweight!Get a dogfish too, meduck, they're worth the effort. I found a sharp flexible serrated grapefruit knife the most effective thing for skinning mine.All the smooth blades didn't work well at all, and I had some razor sharp ones. Even tried razors.
He tasted awful though, kind of squishy, no matter what we did to cook him. Which was a shame, as he was 4 foot six long.
Salted down nicely and sands things if you are trying to look good and thenty, but don't forget most things were smoothed to finish by scraping with a very sharp blade, not many sanded- so I'm told. ( wish I could remember by whom though).

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:03 am

but don't forget most things were smoothed to finish by scraping with a very sharp blade, not many sanded- so I'm told. ( wish I could remember by whom though).

Thats right, I've been told that by sage old carpenters too.

Fish skin turns up in the wills of extremely fine workmen like Sheraton and Gibbons in later periods, fine joinery and marquetry finishing/. So unless you are doing very fine carving I'd say a sharp knife or plane blade. Or leave it a bit rougher and paint it, as much stuff was.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:51 am

lucy the tudor wrote:Lightweight!Get a dogfish too, meduck, they're worth the effort. I found a sharp flexible serrated grapefruit knife the most effective thing for skinning mine.All the smooth blades didn't work well at all, and I had some razor sharp ones. Even tried razors.
He tasted awful though, kind of squishy, no matter what we did to cook him. Which was a shame, as he was 4 foot six long.
Salted down nicely and sands things if you are trying to look good and thenty, but don't forget most things were smoothed to finish by scraping with a very sharp blade, not many sanded- so I'm told. ( wish I could remember by whom though).

Points taken. I have been trying to get hold of a dog fish, or shark, but despite my best efforts (on line local fish mechants etc) have had no joy. Thinking of an early morning trip to Southend (maybe Hastings) to accost the fishermen. (Lightweight indeed - none taken lol). X

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:57 am

When I resided in gos own country hastings sea front was a good place to catch a good catch. But you might also like to try the merchants in newhaven, very useful chaps. Cant remember their name but they have a unit down in the dock area.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:00 am

I had to " book" my dogfish, from a local fishmonger for whom my mother is a regular customer- he had to ask his suppliers, and I had to be prepared to accept whatever size came, and whenever it came, it took about six weeks from asking to getting the call. It also took six hours to get the best method to skin him, by which time I stank to high heaven, and had shark bits through my hair- I didn't know that, until the other mothers at the school gate stepped three paces back and looked horrified. We hadn't long moved here, and the previous week I'd had to collect the kids whilst still in costume after a half day school an hour or two away.
Not surprising it has taken me a while to be accepted by the locals.
Good luck with the fishermen, xx

lucythetudor@gmail.com

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:07 pm

I would think some one in the company I work (VSM Abrasives) for has done some research on the history of sandpaper.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:13 pm

I've given talks and demos at the V&A on the history of wallpaper, that count?

Joolz

Postby Joolz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:18 pm

If you are carving in relief or 'in the round' you would have invariably finished your carving with sharp chisels, the finer the finish needed, the more chiselwork involved and thus more time and expense (which is why sandpapering is a relatively 'modern' way of finishing - even our Victorian and Edwardian ancestors saw sandpapering as a sign of poor technique!). For flat surfaces or smooth curves, a plane or a cabinet scraper would have been used.

Sandpapering tears wood fibres, which will raise them once you oil the surface, giving a smooth but 'furry' surface which need to be cut back further with finer paper or wire wool.

A blade leaves a much sharper and cleaner finish, but few people are willing to pay nowadays for the extra time involved in achieving that fine cut surface on woodcarvings.

Joolz
(long time woodcarver - and sandpaperer)

Mickey Mouse is dead!

l'Enfer, c'est les autres...

(all my images and designs are copyright)

Langley
Post Centurion

Postby Langley » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:20 pm

Anyone got a chippy near them which still sells "Rock Salmon"? Don't kow if their supplies arrives with it's skin on or as fillets but maybe worth a try?

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:27 pm

PoD wrote:what size peice you after? They do a 7"x4" peice of ray skin on ebay for £4.50 with shipping

Hi pod. It turns out that £4.50 piece is not suitable, BUT the seller also sells untanned ray skin which IS suitable for £9.99 (inc postage). Still a lot cheaper than I have seen elsewhere. So my thanks to you stand. I loved Lucys saga of the dogfish, so will try that also, and will also explore the chippy, rock salmon route.

Thanks to all for their responses

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:53 pm

Paul D wrote:

Hi pod. It turns out that £4.50 piece is not suitable, BUT the seller also sells untanned ray skin which IS suitable for £9.99 (inc postage). Still a lot cheaper than I have seen elsewhere. So my thanks to you stand. I loved Lucys saga of the dogfish, so will try that also, and will also explore the chippy, rock salmon route.

Thanks to all for their responses

Have now received my ray skin, which I got online from Robs Bits. It is ideal for my needs and large enough to cut into 8 useful sizes. I would recommend Robs Bits to anyone seeking "Tudor sandpaper".

Jack the dodgy builder

Postby Jack the dodgy builder » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:48 pm

Some how I missed this one.

There are references to the use of fish skins (of the shark family) as a smoothing medium over a long peroid of time. Indeed the Royal Navy only only stopped using it for rust removal about 10 years ago (it came in 9 inch squares) . If I can find my research I will put some dates in
But as lucy's and others say sharp edge and scraping are the main techniques . Remeber also that most of the surfaces not seen ie inside behind, underneath are most often barely touched at most scrub planed until 1800 ish even on quite high status objects.

I dont know what Lucy was up to I havnt had that trouble . The last lot I got was from the fish mongers on the dockside who gave me a big bag (which I promptly gave away!!!) for nothing. I pinned them onto board , fleshside up and scraped them with a cabinet scaper whilst running in water then left to dry . no salt and no smell.

Jack

Paul D

Postby Paul D » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Thanks Jack.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:10 am

Jack the dodgy builder wrote:Some how I missed this one.

I dont know what Lucy was up to I havnt had that trouble . The last lot I got was from the fish mongers on the dockside who gave me a big bag (which I promptly gave away!!!) for nothing. I pinned them onto board , fleshside up and scraped them with a cabinet scaper whilst running in water then left to dry . no salt and no smell.

Jack

If I ever need some more, I will try it that way. I was working on a table, dry, trying to take the skin off the flesh- obviously wet and flesh off skin with a decent scraper would be far superior- not fitted wiv a brain, I wasn't :$

lucythetudor@gmail.com

bishap53

Re: Sourcing Shark / Ray Skin 'sandpaper'

Postby bishap53 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi I have started to treat my skins and will happily keep doing it and selling them if there is a demand. Here is my ebay page I am testing 4 skins to find what price they should go for as information is at zero my end.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173234465796 ... 1558.l2649

Also here is my email if you want to directly contact me. bishap53@me.com

Cheers Tom

Return to “1485-1603”