Looking for a group in the midlands...WW1

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

bigmac

Looking for a group in the midlands...WW1

Post by bigmac »

Hi all.
new at this. just wont too know is there an first would war staffords group in the midlands. has i live in
nottingham would like too join can any help please.

Thanckyou.

Will move this post to a section where you will get more response- Lucy (mod)

450 Martini

Re: Looking for a group in the midlands...WW1

Post by 450 Martini »

The Birmingham Pals WW1 living history group have a infantry section that badge up as Stafford's. You can ask at Staffordshire Regiment Museum, At Whittington Barracks near Lichfield. They have a full size recreation of a WW1 trench system that is used for regular battle re-enactment events.
http://www.birminghampals.com/
http://x.staffordshireregimentmuseum.com/

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Post by Lord Byron »

450 Martini wrote:The Birmingham Pals WW1 living history group have a infantry section that badge up as Stafford's.

http://www.birminghampals.com/
They aren't the Birmingham Pals anymore, they're now The Warwicks 1914-1918:

http://www.thewarwicks1418.com/
"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

450 Martini

Post by 450 Martini »

They Are Still the Birmingham Pals and i was at the pals AGM a few weeks ago, we have various units within the organisation, Medics, tunnelers, german infantry and british infantry totaling around 35 members. We have just restructured the British infantry section and we now represent members of the south staffordshire regiment in the great war.
We work in assocation with the staffordshire regiment museum and have acsess to thier ww1 trench system.
the warwicks 1914-1918 is a totally seperate group.
Regs
Richard Cartwright
Armourer
Birmingham Pals Living History Company

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

We also have a WW1 section..some of our members are in the midlands and a lot of our events are in that region. What are you looking to do?
Kate

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Post by Lord Byron »

450 Martini wrote:They Are Still the Birmingham Pals and i was at the pals AGM a few weeks ago, we have various units within the organisation, Medics, tunnelers, german infantry and british infantry totaling around 35 members. We have just restructured the British infantry section and we now represent members of the south staffordshire regiment in the great war.
We work in assocation with the staffordshire regiment museum and have acsess to thier ww1 trench system.
the warwicks 1914-1918 is a totally seperate group. Regs
Richard Cartwright
Armourer
Birmingham Pals Living History Company
I'm slightly confused at this :eh: , as I was invited to join what was then the Birmingham Pals Facebook group about a year ago, and the information I've read on there seems to present a different picture. All the earliest messages are to do with the Birmingham Pals, eg:
Joseph Conlon: Thank you one and all for joining the group,,,
The photo is an original photo of My Great-Grandfather so I have been told,
He is standing on the far left of the picture.
He served with many other members of my family in
The Birmingham Pals Battalions of The Royal Warwickshire Regiment

October 2, 2008 at 5:53pm •LikeUnlike •
Joseph Conlon: ww1 Training weekend for all Birmingham pals members
at Whittington Barracks

28th Feb 2009

February 11, 2009 at 9:29am •LikeUnlike •
Joseph Conlon: Please all visite the Birmingham Pals website for updates on events and training.

http://www.Birminghampals.com

Listed under Events for 2009

February 26, 2009 at 8:37am •LikeUnlike •

Then early in 2010 and not long after I'd joined the Birmingham Pals Facebook page changed into the page of the The Warwick's 1914 -18 Living History Association, and all the information posted subsequently seemed to support that change, eg:

RECENT ACTIVITY
The Warwick's 1914 -18 Living History Association edited their Description, Location and News.
The Warwick's 1914 -18 Living History Association changed their Name.
The Warwick's 1914 -18 Living History Association edited their Name, Description and
Martin Brent: Good name change, opens you up to a wider audience and is a more accurate description imho.
February 14, 2010 at 7:56pm •LikeUnlike •
Pete Knight: Congratulations on the new name . Good luck for the future and look forward to working with you some time soon. I will add a link to your website when you are ready.

February 14, 2010 at 7:11pm •LikeUnlike •
Greg KIng: Big thanks to Sean for updating for the Warwicks, sorry Pals webs site.
As Joe and myself are events Organisers we will be using this page to harras people
mainly the Infantry section into attending training events and other events on our calender. Under the watchfull eye of Cpl Featherstone of course

February 19, 2010 at 7:08pm •LikeUnlike •
This combined with the fact that the Birmingham Pals website seems pretty dead and hasn't been updated since 2010 whilst the website of The Warwick's 1914 -18 Living History Association is brand spanking new and lists events for 2011 only seemed to reinforce this.

I'm also rather confused how the Birmingham Pals can still be the Birmingham Pals if they have ceased to portray The 1st Birmingham City Bn (The Birmingham Pals), part of the Warwickshire Regiment, and now represent members of the South Staffordshire Regiment :eh: .

http://www.birminghampals.co.uk/the-battalions/
"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Post by Miss Costello »

That's my understanding too Lord Byron, as the name kept changing on facebook.

Anyhoo...hope you find a group.

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Post by Lord Byron »

Miss Costello wrote:That's my understanding too Lord Byron, as the name kept changing on facebook.
I sent a message to Joe Conlon - he did confirm the Warwicks are no longer part of the Birmingham Pals and a seperate group in their own right. It still strikes me as confusing that the Warwicks are now doing an impression closer to that which the Birmingham Pals used to do than the Birmingham Pals apparently now do :crazy: All the more reason for the Pals to get an updated website up and running explaining the change!

450 Martini

Post by 450 Martini »

It all boils down to that old re-enactors problem, Politics. The Birmingham pals consists of several units and some of the british infantry section were not happy with the direction that the group was going a broke away and formed there own group, called the warwicks. confusing i know but both groups are now independent organisations.

Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Just for the record:

The Birmingham Pals are the Birmingham Pals. As far as I am aware the Infantry Section now badge as Staffordshire Regiment. They also have other sections dealing with Medical, Tunnellers and German.

The Warwickshire Regiment 1914 - 1918 Living History Group are also known as The Warwicks 14-18 and badge as 1 Bn Royal Warkwickshire Regiment.

Both groups have respective websites and the Warwicks have a facebook page.

Both groups are independent from each other and are not connected other than in their interest in Great War living history.

Many thanks,

The Warwicks 14-18

www.thewarwicks1418.com