medieval knitting???

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

duster

medieval knitting???

Postby duster » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:12 pm

Can anyone tell me whether knitting, as in knit 1 purl 1, existed in medieval - tudor times? and if so, what items of clothing would have been knitted? Thanks

to the regiment!....i wish i was there.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Re: medieval knitting???

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Try http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Hand-Kn ... _rhf_p_t_1 which is an excellent source for knitting information.

Knitted stockings were certainly made by hand during Tudor times, but the above book will give you a much better idea of what was knitted and when.

S.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:04 pm

duster wrote:Can anyone tell me whether knitting, as in knit 1 purl 1, existed in medieval - tudor times? and if so, what items of clothing would have been knitted? Thanks

Not knit one purl one, ribbing is relatively late. Virtually all early knitting is in the round in stockinette.

Medieval knitting in this country is mostly caps, stylewise think in terms of simple acorn caps and based on some fragments from the Museum of London some that are essentially 'Moorfields' style earflap hats. Some simple mittens exist (Museum of London has a childs glove on display) and by the middle of the Tudor period we have knitted stockings, but there is a lot of debate as to exactly when they becoem widespread- there are scattered references from relatively early in the period, but they seem to have become more widespread by 1550ish. Lots and lots of hat styles in knitting by the Tudor period.

Definately no shawls or jumpers at this point, though there is a childs vest (MoL again)

kate/bob

Postby kate/bob » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:37 pm

the museum of london textile book has got some knitting finds.They're i stocking stich and not fulled so they think they might be from a child's vest or sleeve rather than a hat.

I've just finished knitting MooseAbuse a pair of lobster mittens (thumb and two big fingers). Karen's fab site has some pictures of them and the museum of london book mentions that "gloves were among items singled out in a statute of 1463 procscribing the import of certain foreign goods in order to prevent competition with English-made wares. It may be surmised, therefore, that gloves were, like caps, being kntted in 15th century England."

By knitting these gloves I've made sure that this is going to be the hottest season on record!!

Lady Willows Retinue

Postby Lady Willows Retinue » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:05 pm

1st century AD Roman period socks found have been made from woven wool.
First knitted sock, 4th century AD from Egypt. Red, stocking stitch, with divided toe and shaped heel.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Lady Willows Retinue wrote:1st century AD Roman period socks found have been made from woven wool.
First knitted sock, 4th century AD from Egypt. Red, stocking stitch, with divided toe and shaped heel.

are you sure that one isnt nalebound? A lot of nalebound socks look identical to knitting until unravelled, and there are some mis-labellings in collections because of this. Saying that, some of the first true knitting does turn up in Egypt and the middle east, but mostly its a coupel of hundred years later than this

Karen Larsdatter

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:25 pm

kate/bob wrote:I've just finished knitting MooseAbuse a pair of lobster mittens (thumb and two big fingers). Karen's fab site has some pictures of them

FWIW -- the "lobster mittens" (nice term for them!) :) are at http://larsdatter.com/gloves.htm -- in the "THREE-FINGERED GLOVES (aka SPLIT MITTENS)" section. I don't think I'd found any knit examples -- or any textile other than leather, really -- but I have a set that I made from scraps of coat-weight wool that are also quite warm and toasty.

The other medieval knit items I've found online are all at http://larsdatter.com/knit.htm though. There's also a page with a few nalebound items (including early medieval Egyptian socks) at http://larsdatter.com/nalbind.htm

Return to “Costumes”