Napoleonic Light infantry regt/coy officers full/court dress

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

gar450

Napoleonic Light infantry regt/coy officers full/court dress

Postby gar450 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:08 am

So, what did these officers wear as full dress coats?

Regs say long tails, convention says long tails.

But I haven't come across one.

If so were they simply long tailed versions of the short jacket usually worn in the field?

And would they have stuck to wool for waistcoats or used a different fabric?

Nigel
Post Knight

Re: Napoleonic Light infantry regt/coy officers full/court d

Postby Nigel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 am

ok a country would be a good start

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

gar450

Postby gar450 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Oh yes...oops

Forgot just cos I know what I 'm thinking about doesn't mean everyone else does!

British is what I was thinking.

Redders

Postby Redders » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:52 pm

Isn't full dress for LI, basically a dolman?
Just a bit of a posh job!!

The 60th one i'm lookin gat having made is 'top of bum' length.
It has leg flashes that continue the facings so long would be wrong.

I'm pretty sure all LI are of a similar style for Brits?

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:00 pm

Redders wrote:Isn't full dress for LI, basically a dolman?
Just a bit of a posh job!!

The 60th one i'm lookin gat having made is 'top of bum' length.
It has leg flashes that continue the facings so long would be wrong.

I'm pretty sure all LI are of a similar style for Brits?

Nope I knwo one of the LI regiments I think the monmouthshire wore pellisses I think most of the uniforms were pretty much like the line ones

I'll get some details when i get home

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Redders

Postby Redders » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:19 pm

The info i described above, came from the Rifles Museum at Winchester.
Got a copy of their regimental annuls :)

Or,

I'm more knackered than i should be and my memory is completely nooked!!!!!!!

Granted, based on the info given me about the 60th had led me to guess a little about othe LI Regt.s

Chaps, i'll dig out what i have and either throw myself at your mercies with apologies or post the/info given to me.

i'll see if i can sort it tonight/tomorrow

gar450

Postby gar450 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:38 pm

From the 1811 regs

Officers of Infantry
Officers of Infantry are to wear a Cap, of a pattern similar to that established for the line.
A Regimental Coat similar to the private men’s, but with Lappells to button over the
breast and body.
A grey cloth Great Coat, corresponding in color with that established for the Line, with a
stand-up Collar, and a Cape to protect the shoulders, and Regimental Buttons.
In the case of Regiments employed on foreign service, the Officers are to wear grey
Pantaloons or Overalls, with short Boots, or with Shoes and Gaiters, such as the private
men’s.
The Field and Staff Officers of Regiments are to conform to the aforegoing Regulations
the same as the Officers of Companies. These Regulations are not intended to imply to
the Officers of the Rifle Corps whose present dress is to be continued.
When at Court, the Officers of Infantry are to appear in long Coats, with Cocked Hats, as
at present.

What I take it to mean is all regts except rifle corp to wear long coats.

Other LI units wore pelisses as well, copying the 95th - monmouthshire as said, I think the oxfordshire regt did as well.

This what the green book says about Rifle Officers uniforms

The Officer’s regimental dress is of two kinds; the full dress, and parade or service
dress; the former consists in long coat, white breeches and black top boots, or
regimental pantaloons and half-boots, hat cocked, picque front and rear; green feather
and regimental cockade; coat hooked through the shirt under the stock, and about six
inches of shirt-frill appearing; the stock black polished leather, high necked and
bound with velvet, or black silk plaited; the uniform sash worn over the sword belt;
regimental gloves and cane. The sash is never to be worn with shoes. The hair queued
and powdered. It is optional with Officers to provide themselves with the full dress, it
being solely necessary for attendance at court.

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Are you talking about Light Infantry, red coatee green tuft, or the Rifles, green jacket.
When we did 85th, an LI unit, the regs said that the Rodneys officially had to wear the long tailled coatee but refs to some of the officers from the period has them in kilts, dolman and pelisse, tarletons, straw hats with a green hackle in fact lots of fancy private purchase stuff and very little as per the regs.

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:49 am

Redders wrote:The info i described above, came from the Rifles Museum at Winchester.

Or,

Granted, based on the info given me about the 60th had led me to guess a little about othe LI Regt.s

Chaps, i'll dig out what i have and either throw myself at your mercies with apologies or post the/info given to me.

yes I know BUT rifles is rifles light infantry is light infantry a pedantic point but one thats important

And I got home alst nigth and completely forgot

wurzul

Postby wurzul » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:28 am

What Gar said, full dress for the infantry is a long coat, stockings and breeches. The regs are quite clear. Redders, while you were at Winchester you would have been able to see both of the two period (ish, 1817 and 1821) Rifles full dress coats the museum holds. The rifles full dress corresponded to that of the rest of the army, with epaulettes and everything. However, one of the founders of the regiment, Stuart, disapproved of the long coat for Rifles full dress, in 1809 he flamed a colleague saying that the full dress of the Rifles ought to comprise light cavalry dress as per service dress. Both Coote Manningham (the other founder) and Stuart chose to have their portraits painted in light cavalry dress rather than the full dress. Note that despite his attitude, Stuart wrote the Green Book that contains the full dress snippets Gar reproduced, and Coote Manningham approved it.

Redders

Postby Redders » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Nigel wrote:
Redders wrote:The info i described above, came from the Rifles Museum at Winchester.

Or,

yes I know BUT rifles is rifles light infantry is light infantry a pedantic point but one thats important

Completely agree with you fella.

I forgot too :)

And I got home alst nigth and completely forgot

Return to “Costumes”