Indulgence and trepidation

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Drachelis

Indulgence and trepidation

Postby Drachelis » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:47 pm

A new customer of mine has placed some hefty orders with me for very opulent stuff (not a regular re-enactor)
i am now knee deep in Hainsworth's doeskin, cotton/silk velvet, Insanely expensive ( his words) italian silk cut velvet and silk damask brocade and fine venetian wool - not to mention copious amounts of fur. Most of it just arrived at my door - ordered and paid for by him with accompanying convoluted phone calls or e-mails from somewhere in the world

I have been indulging myself by stroking and spreading out and then refolding the fabric and just sitting and looking at it knowing that these fabrics will be a joy to sew ( not so sure about the actual garments given the commissions ,I still await the metal lace bejewelled trim for a 3m long cloak!)

Whilst this is all wonderful I look forward with great trepidation to actually wielding the scissors on this very expensive stuff ( makes my £60 per metre silks look like they cost pennies)for a very exacting customer ( the documentation for this lot is so detailed that it will fill a book by the time I am finished - making sure that I have clarification at each stage of the order and the goning over it again)

i am cutting toiles and then making prototypes and getting them approved before I even get near the actual cloth

Will the joy of working with such beautiful fabrics outweigh the concern of not getting it right ?- I can't get more of the stuff if i make a mistake -but the touch is so fantastic.

I usually take a deep breath and pile in but its going to take some psyching up to do it.

wish me luck

i am sure that others have been in this situation - care to share.

Cherry
Shadowlight Designs

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Re: Indulgence and trepidation

Postby Shadowcat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Recently a long time customer wanted the full 18th century gentleman's suit. Suit itself was made of silk from James Hare, affordable if I screwed up. However, the waistcoat fabric took ages to decide. Finally he brought me a sample of Scalamandre silk at £250.00 per yard!! :crazy: It was perfect, but way too expensive in my opinion. He went ahead and bought it anyway, at a reduced (!) price of £175.00. It took me two weeks before I dare cut it. (I kept my fingers crossed, and decided if I messed up I could - just - afford to replace one yard!)

You can do it - just take a deep breath, and think a lot!!

S.

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:49 pm

Finally he brought me a sample of Scalamandre silk at £250.00 per yard!! :crazy: It was perfect, but way too expensive in my opinion. He went ahead and bought it anyway, at a reduced (!) price of £175.00

Aaargh!!! you know exactly how I feel then. The cut velvet and silk brocade came from an "ancient italian firm" so he told me - 8m of each for a cloak with a massive train and jewelled border (apparently he did get it at a discount but he hasn't told me what) I don' know Shadowlight Designsif it was end of line though or whether he could get more - either way I don't think I could afford to replace it.

So there will be a prototype ceremonial cloak with long train ( rectangular end) with jewelled trim to all of the hem and fur collar available for sale from stock by September - any takers?

Cherry
Shadowlight Designs

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Aye caramba....

thank god for Bernie the Bolt!

I once had a wedding dress commission many moons ago that required yards of silk, like your customer it came to me with the accompanying invoice and it sat on the side in it's box until I was brave enough to cut it! :drunk:

Good luck....

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:56 am

Oh go on - you cannot leave us hanging like this - where are the pics of these wonderful fabrics so we can all indulge our daydreams?

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:51 am

Have to wait until Ming gets back - i'm a complete luddite when it comes to computers.

I'm being good now and carrying on working on orders for Tewkesbury

Cherry
Shadowlight Designs

Return to “Costumes”