WMA: A new Fiore training book (c1400)

Moderator: Moderators

Mark Lancaster

WMA: A new Fiore training book (c1400)

Postby Mark Lancaster » Tue May 04, 2010 2:11 pm

We are happy to announce the general release of Primoris, which is a training manual on Fiore dei Liberi (c1400) from the interpretation of Rob Lovett and The Exiles.

Primoris is the first stage of a complete martial training system and curriculum, which will be accompanied shortly with a DVD and the whole project includes equipment advice, support, etc. The system is intended for anyone who wishes to learn a complete martial art or develop their skills within the Fiore art itself. This first (primoris) stage of the system takes the student through martial basics, theory, mechanics and safe practice onto the fundamentals of the art via unarmed striking and grappling, dagger and single handed sword use. This is not simply a straight interpretation of historical work as it focuses on bringing the student up to the level where this advanced teachings can be understood.

You can find out more about the Primoris project and future publications at http://www.primoristraining.com

The book is 206 pages with over 300 full colour photographs and illustrations. It is available via Amazon and all major on-line book retailers (ISBN 978-0-9564871-0-0). It can also be purchase directly from The Exiles' shop

Many thanks,

Mark Lancaster

paul bennett

Re: WMA: A new Fiore training book (c1400)

Postby paul bennett » Tue May 04, 2010 11:30 pm

I heartily recommend this. If you ever thought a rondel dagger was just for a coup de gras, this will open your eyes.
The exiles know their onions.

http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Bespoke and off-the-shelf furniture, games and weaponry for living history

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Wed May 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Did the Exiles teach ony of the Fiore classes at SWASH?

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed May 05, 2010 2:35 pm

The Exiles sponsored Greg and Sean coming over from the US and did at least one of the lectures for SWASH.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

wyldstallions

Postby wyldstallions » Wed May 05, 2010 6:08 pm

The Exiles did two morning classes on the Sunday. I've ordered my copy of the book already can't wait to get it :D

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Thu May 06, 2010 6:30 am

Had a leaf through a copy at SWASH, looks excellent - out of stock at Amazon at the mo though.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Thu May 06, 2010 8:47 am

I bought a copy at SWASH.

I have been waiting for this book, or something like it, for about 10 years.
I can't wait for the next one.

Thanks to Rob, Mark and Mark (and everyone else involved) for all their effort.

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Thu May 06, 2010 9:12 am

Just ordered a copy direct from the Exiles website.

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Mark Lancaster

Postby Mark Lancaster » Thu May 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Sorry guys, my forum subscription isn't sending me emails and I've not had chance to come back on in the last couple of days.

Thanks for all the positive feedback - it was a work of love and hate, but worth it.

Amazon: Long story there, but this is the score. It's out of stock because they won't stock it themselves until they get a lot of sales. That means that any orders through Amazon will go to one of their distrubutors who will then order off us (this has happended already). Basically you can order through Amazon, but it'll take a week or so to go around the circuit. Obviously you can order directly from us as well (Dave, your copy went in the post today).

Rob Lovett (really tall and big - looks like Shrek) was at SWASH and taught two sessions on the Sunday morning (really one session split into two). Myself and Mark Berryman supported Barry Young's lecture by getting into armour - not fun being high on stage when you've split your hose |(

Cheers,

Mark

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Fri May 07, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks Mark,

Didn't do Rob's bit at SWASH, as There was something else more relevant to me in one of the other sessions that clashed, and I felt I didn't have the longsword experience to join in the other, but I watched some, and it looked good. Maybe you guys will be doing some next year (or do you get involved in 'fight camp'? I'm toying with the idea of having a crack at that).

Look forward to seeing the book,

Dave.

Kurt's uncle Bob.

taliabee

Postby taliabee » Fri May 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Mark Lancaster wrote:Rob Lovett (really tall and big - looks like Shrek)

shrek - nah! he looks like billy butcher from the garth ennis 'the boys' graphic novels!
have replied on the exiles forum about getting my copy, mark - thanks for your quick reply!
t xx

...facing death with a defiant concentration on the exquisiteness of the lived moment...
(y.sobel as was)

Mark Lancaster

Postby Mark Lancaster » Fri May 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi Dave,

I think some of us will be going to fight-camp, but I'm not sure who (and I don't think Rob is going).

Hi Talia,

You say that, but when we were in the States last summer Rob picked up his new WMA sparing mask, similar to this:

and they had rivetted on two green Shrek ears. :twisted:

taliabee

Postby taliabee » Fri May 07, 2010 3:15 pm

@ mark - lol...i still think he looks like bb though...without the (rather fetching) mask and ears, of course!
be great to catch up with some exiles at fightcamp 8-)
t xx

...facing death with a defiant concentration on the exquisiteness of the lived moment...
(y.sobel as was)

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Sun May 09, 2010 7:13 pm

Arrived whilst I was away over the weekend. Looks really proffessional.

Looking forward to having time to study it properly.

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Mon May 10, 2010 12:59 pm

Mark Lancaster wrote:Myself and Mark Berryman supported Barry Young's lecture by getting into armour - not fun being high on stage when you've split your hose |(

Cheers,

Mark

Ah yes, I remember. Didn't realise that you'd split your hose though.

Thanks

Colin

Mark Lancaster

Postby Mark Lancaster » Tue May 11, 2010 1:00 am

Thanks Dave - drop me a line with any questions/comments (or post here).

Hi Colin - Yep, that's why I kept adjusting in an attempt to not sit with open legs facing the audience :$ It happened just before we started, I was trying to show that press ups could be done in a full harness and the hose didn't want to play along as I bent down :o

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Tue May 11, 2010 9:49 am

Mark is not used to wearing hose. Mark, if you want hose to wear with armour, I'll arrange to get some to fit you properly. Yes, there's only one way to do that, make them - with fittings and a toile.

Around 1400 you should really be wearing (fairly high) separate legs (I believe), but I'm guessing you'll be embarrassed by that (from the way you were playing with your cod on the stage), so the fittings will be very personal.

Your choice matey :devil:

(BTW. did Marky get any training trousers to you?)

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Tue May 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Mark Lancaster wrote:Hi Colin - Yep, that's why I kept adjusting in an attempt to not sit with open legs facing the audience :$ It happened just before we started, I was trying to show that press ups could be done in a full harness and the hose didn't want to play along as I bent down :o

It happens to everyone sooner or later. Usually when you don't want it to!

Colin

Mark Lancaster

Postby Mark Lancaster » Tue May 11, 2010 12:47 pm

These were my trusty old "Sally Green" hose that I've had for ten years and have seen a lot of wear and (now) tear. The other pair had gone at the knee, but I think my "bulk" had expanded too much for this pair :?

Alan - not sure I agree with you on the split hose, but I can definitely say that the thought of having you measure me up is ...... :sick:

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Tue May 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Just for my own curiosity Mark, how did you envisage the book being used, and by whom.

I can see it being very usefull to people who are already studying with the exciles but not as regularly as they would like, as a reminder and to re-inforce what they have learned.

I can also see other HEMA groups (not neccesarily those studying fiore even) just pinching some usefull ideas and drills.

Potentialy I suppose its suited to a new group, possibly a new chapter of the exciles or an existing group going for a very different period.

Just wondered what the target audience was actually intended to be?

Kurt's uncle Bob.

wyldstallions

Postby wyldstallions » Tue May 11, 2010 2:42 pm

My book arrived a couple of days ago it's great really easy to understand and get to grips with. Whens the second book out and the DVD I want them as well ? :D

Thanks

Mark Lancaster

Postby Mark Lancaster » Tue May 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi Dave,

Dave B wrote:(snip) Just wondered what the target audience was actually intended to be?

We're certainly not looking at this from an Exiles' growth point of view. We do have study groups, but they're concentrated around core-members/instructors.

The main motivation was two things. We were getting a lot of enquiries from people that we just cannot reach (and in many cases couldn't be reached by other WMA/HEMA groups) who simply wanted to learn more about this game. In hand with this we couldn't give them advice along the lines of "go grab this book/DVD/etc" as most the HEMA material was around the translation of manuscripts without the fundamentals or supporting material (which is excellent for reference/development, but difficult for training).

We decided to take a more martial training approach and put out a curriculum, which hopefully people can pick up and run with. In some ways we'd like to think this is just the start and others will do similar books (we already have a couple of people lined up to do some 1600c English and medieval German). This is why we set up a publishing business as well - it's not just Exiles.

I suppose the quick answer about the "target audience" is anyone who wants to learn more about this game and follow a training programme that includes the martial basics (and later in the series core martial principles). From that they can build up their own training, get advice from us or other groups, etc.

Don't know if that answers the question, but it's getting late in the working day :wink:

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Lancaster

Postby Mark Lancaster » Tue May 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi,

wyldstallions wrote:My book arrived a couple of days ago it's great really easy to understand and get to grips with. Whens the second book out and the DVD I want them as well ? :D

Thanks for the kind words. We're currently on schedule for getting the DVD out in the Summer and the second book out in early Autumn. I'll be able to give you better publishing dates in the near future (it's sorting out technicals).

Cheers,

Mark

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Wed May 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Mark Lancaster wrote:Don't know if that answers the question, but it's getting late in the working day :wink:

Clear answer, thanks. and I think it does work on that level. Longsword isn't really my thing but if I can interest some of our lot in doing some stuff from the book it might be.

Fascinated to see what else you can get people to cover, I'd love to see something of similar quality and depth for some of the more neglected weapons (I was fascinated, for example, with the Partizan stuff from Saviolo that the 1595 guys were doing).

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Mark Lancaster

Postby Mark Lancaster » Thu May 13, 2010 9:28 am

Hi Dave,

Dave B wrote:Longsword isn't really my thing but if I can interest some of our lot in doing some stuff from the book it might be.

You can use the Primoris sword section for any one-handed medieval sword. Fiore's one-handed section has a couple of nice techniques that really requires a H&H/Longsword (pommel grabs and all that, which we do post-Primoris) but the majority of it will work.

Dave B wrote:Fascinated to see what else you can get people to cover, I'd love to see something of similar quality and depth for some of the more neglected weapons (I was fascinated, for example, with the Partizan stuff from Saviolo that the 1595 guys were doing).

Totally agree with this. Chris Chatfield (1595) really knows his stuff and gives good demonstrations. That is one of the things I really like about SWASH - the "mix".

Cheers,

Mark

Adam R

Postby Adam R » Thu May 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Good work chaps - it looks like good quality stuff. Bravo!

KDF Nottingham
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Templar Knight

Postby Templar Knight » Tue May 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Mark , are you going to Fightcamp this year, if so you able to bring a copy of the book and I will be intersted in getting one.
Also, people going fightcamp , whos up for some armoured half swording and pollaxe?

"We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

paul bennett

Postby paul bennett » Wed May 19, 2010 9:53 am

Colin Fieldhouse is doing a pollaxe class, and I will be there in tin

http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Bespoke and off-the-shelf furniture, games and weaponry for living history

Mark Lancaster

Postby Mark Lancaster » Wed May 19, 2010 3:47 pm

TK - I'm not too sure if I can make Fightcamp even though I want to (it's a Mrs L thing) but some of our group are planning to go, so I can sort something out.

Cheers,

Mark

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu May 20, 2010 12:50 pm

Templar Knight wrote:Mark , are you going to Fightcamp this year, if so you able to bring a copy of the book and I will be intersted in getting one.
Also, people going fightcamp , whos up for some armoured half swording and pollaxe?

Sounds fun. Pitty that I can't make it. I don't know what's happened to all my leave this year...

Colin

Return to “1100-1500”