Simplicity 4055 -any good?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Simplicity 4055 -any good?

Postby Miss Costello » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:53 pm

I'm sure I asked this once before, but I'm doing one-maybe two regency events next year. It's not my normal era and I already have the simplicity 4055 pattern in my possession. I'm ok with fabric choice etc but is this passable? It will of course be worn with correct stays etc....

K

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Re: Simplicity 4055 -any good?

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:46 am

Simplicity have licensed this pattern from Sense and Sensibility - a period pattern drafter. (This is also the case with the regency stays, shift and tucker pattern they produce). The original designer later improved on it with a second pattern with a more pronounced and suitable period cut. Her basic pattern is the basic starter dress and Simplicity have tweaked the sizing for modern fit.

It certainly isn't the worst place to start!

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks Alice. Really helpful. :wink:

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:10 pm

There's nothing on the great pattern review about this one in particular - but simplicity do get a good write up on their other costume patterns, especially in terms of ease of use (probably because they employ pro pattern cutters).

Obviously it will have the same flaws that all commercial patterns made by modern pattern companies will have (no real understanding of period cut or construction), but you could do a lot worse.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:40 pm

I shared some of 'the special knowings' with her Ha'pence, and now I own her soul. She has a copy of the S&S original and has made it up for a friend so is going with that pattern. And will be wearing a petticoat. Shall we take it for granted that she is respeck'able and so needn't even mention the need for a shift.......

Shall we make her do progress reports? ( I say YES!)

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:50 pm

I shall certainly report back and let you know how I get on.

Thanks ladies.

K

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:42 am

Simplicity have allowed a "modern" amount of ease - up to four to six inches, if I remember right. You may want to make a toile of the size you choose, as oit may well be too big. I have made the pattern, but ignoring the instructions!

S.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:20 am

Can never be said often enough if starting a new style or garment you have not attempted before or are looking for a really good fit; toile, Toile TOILE! Saves fabric, tempers and a makes personalised pattern for later use.

This, with other esoteric tweakings were included privately in 'the special knowings'. But it can't be repeated often enough.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:10 am

Yes, thats my mantra too. I trained in textiles and I hate to see good fabric wasted.... :devil:

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:58 pm

I expect that you already know this, but for other readers - make your underwear first. A Regency bust is a good two inches higher than todays. There is some quote about a ladies bosoms being up under her chin.

If you are in the Napoleonic Association, I am doing a bodice-fitting workshop at the annual dinner weekend in January. Everyone should be able to come away with the beginnings of a personalised pattern to fit their own back shape.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:13 am

I think that that is a satirical quote.

It is quite interesting in that the common, gored short stays pattern doesn't provide lift as a modern bra does, but divides the breast as a modern bra does and then supports its' natural shape from below. I have two, one with shortened straps as per a modern fit - my bust falls down inside it to it's natural position and disappears -and yes, it is properley fitted to the rib cage so although this shouldn't happen , it does and is not comfortable. The other has longer straps and sits below my natural breast position. Result? Swimming, round , bouncy bubbies.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:40 am

I'm in the middle of making myself mini-stays. I have not used a pattern, just fitted it on myself and then adjusted it. However, I have put on a bit of weight and my shape has also changed as I have got older. So now I have to adjust the shape again; I've had to add more darts, interestingly.

Luckily Regency times was when darts were first used to shape bodices, so that is OK. I've seen them on internet close-ups of museum dresses.

Some of the pics definitely show a 'wide' shape, rather than 'squashed-together-and-pushed-up' shape.

Return to “Costumes”