learning anglo saxon.

Moderator: Moderators

dbob.culley

learning anglo saxon.

Postby dbob.culley » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:18 pm

does any one know of a person i could speak to over email that could teach me the basics of anglo saxon. if its helpful i know a little german. :)

D.A.Culley

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Re: learning anglo saxon.

Postby Phil the Grips » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:22 pm

dbob.culley wrote: i know a little german. :)
That wouldn't be Dieter the Midget would it? ;)

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

dbob.culley

Postby dbob.culley » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:26 pm

no darwin culley

D.A.Culley

Lady Willows Retinue

Postby Lady Willows Retinue » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:42 pm

Phil was just having you on there, I think you misunderstood.
But hen again rather than "Dieter the Midget " perhaps you could try "Bridget the Midget"

Try this for a starter perhaps:
http://www.tha-engliscan-gesithas.org.u ... index.html

I did have a book "Anglo Saxon Reader" some years ago, but my light fingered brother borrowed it, so I cant remenber the author now.
I do recall though that it was closer to old Dutch than German.
Dutch, English & German are all teutonic languages, but German turned into Higher German about a century or so ago, becoming more complicated with case endings. English & Dutch evolved more slowly and are more similar, with less case endings to learn. Dutch also evolved in the last century to lose some case endings & simplify some words, hence Africaans is quite close to Old Dutch.
The Anglo-Saxon/Old English is therefore closer to Old Dutch.

dbob.culley

Postby dbob.culley » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:48 pm

ta

D.A.Culley

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:05 pm

The Gesithas would be the chaps to talk to if you actually want to learn to understand Old English as a language. Stephen Pollington (via Anglo Saxon books) has written a very user friendly beginners course:-

http://www.asbooks.co.uk/t%20first%20steps.htm

However, if all you want is a word list of some useful words and phrases and a pronounciation guide then PM me your email address and I'll send some to you.

"I never said that I was here to help."

dbob.culley

Postby dbob.culley » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Dbob.Culley@googlemail.com thanks for that. :D

D.A.Culley

Lady Willows Retinue

Postby Lady Willows Retinue » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:35 pm

The one Matt has suggested appears to be by the same person as the link I gave above - in fact its the same book.
the website one above tho offers you a few sections that you can view for free, to see how you get on with it before you cough up the money for the book/course for prooper (and as a student, you are probably only on low income/pocket money arent you, which isnt going to stretch too far if you are buying kit as well). If you can handle the sections offered, then move on to bigger things later.

Good luck.

dbob.culley

Postby dbob.culley » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

no ive got quite a big income actually around £120 per month. 2 jobs but i cant get on any of those websites at the moment as im using my mums work computer and it will filter everything. its a surprise it hasnt filtered the forum. thanks tho what is the book called?

D.A.Culley

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:43 pm

dbob.culley wrote:no ive got quite a big income actually around £120 per month.

Book details are:-

First Steps in Old English
An easy to follow language course for the beginner
Stephen Pollington

If you want to teach yourself Anglo-Saxon / Old English this is the book.

A complete, well presented and easy to use Old English language course which contains all the exercises and texts needed to learn Old English. This course has been designed to be of help to a wide range of students, from those who are teaching themselves at home, to undergraduates who are learning Old English as part of their English degree course. The author is aware that some individuals have little aptitude for learning languages and that many have difficulty with grammar. To help overcome these problems he has adopted a step by step approach that enables students of differing abilities to advance at their own pace. The course includes practice exercises.

This revised and expanded edition was published October 2006

£16-95 ISBN 1-898281-38-6 245 x 170mm / 10 x 6½ inches 256 pages

Some of the texts used in this book are read by the author on
the two CDs Old English Poems, Prose and Lessons £11.75.

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:03 pm

I am using Steve Pollingtons First steps and am at the end of Mark Athertons Teach Yourself Old English,both are very good.
I am also doing the Correspondence Course with Steve Pollington which really keeps me on my toes!
Sweets Anglo-Saxon Dictionary and the on-line Bosworth-Toller Dictionary are really useful.

dbob.culley

Postby dbob.culley » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:07 pm

well iof anyone wants it ive downloaded a saxon dictioary its only 55 pages long just email me Dbob.Culley@googlemail.com :idea:

D.A.Culley

dbob.culley

Postby dbob.culley » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:21 pm

do you know about teach yourself old english by mark atherton? because that one has a cd with it.

D.A.Culley

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:08 pm

dbob.culley wrote:do you know about teach yourself old english by mark atherton? because that one has a cd with it.

Yes, but Steve's a mate and I like to help fund his early A-S kit habit. :wink:

His 'Wordcraft' is also a very handy english/A-S dictionary, with Clark Hall's excellent 400 page A-S/english dictionary for going the other way.

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Medicus Matt wrote:
dbob.culley wrote:do you know about teach yourself old english by mark atherton? because that one has a cd with it.

Yes, but Steve's a mate and I like to help fund his early A-S kit habit. :wink:

His 'Wordcraft' is also a very handy english/A-S dictionary, with Clark Hall's excellent 400 page A-S/english dictionary for going the other way.

There are also CD's that can be used in conjunction with Steve Pollingtons "First steps" All are available from Anglo-Saxon Books.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:53 pm

Just on the subject of some knowledge of German being helpful in learning Old English (Old English is the language, Anglo-Saxon is the culture, by the way):

A German friend of mine was recently taking a degree course in Old High German (the "official" early medieval version of modern German). The class also looked at Frisian, modern Dutch and various other related languages. Then the tutor gave out a text in an unidentified language - they could understand almost all of it, but they had never seen that language before; it was Old English.

In some ways, spoken Old English is completely unlike modern German; the harsh gutturals and hard "s" that are frequent in German words are almost absent in OE - there are some gutturals, but softer and more like Danish.

I would recommend that before you get into learning vocabulary, you look at the (estimated) pronunciation of each sound in OE. I say estimated because nobody today knows the actual sound of certain combinations of letters (eo, ea and ie for example), plus there were various dialectic differences around England.

f in OE has two values, s has two, h has three, g has at least three, as does c. Learning how these are pronounced in different words and positions within words should be your first task, only then go on to the vocab and grammar.

When you get to the stage when you can see a word like "gafol" (tax, tribute, gift, etc.) and know that it is pronounced "guvol", then you are becoming proficient.

Good luck!!

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Aethelflaed

Postby Aethelflaed » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:13 pm

Wes hal,

Old English nerd here... my group's wiki has a page of links to resources that you might find useful:
http://wychwood.wikidot.com/history-language-englisc

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Has anyone ever tried the English Companions course?

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:03 pm

There are some helpful phrases on You Tube if you type in learn anglo-saxon English

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:09 pm

I found this recently - www.tha-engliscan-gesithas.org.uk

ALso found a you tube video - os anglo saxoes documentario - English with Italian subtitles so you can teach yourself Italian while learning about early Saxon England.

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:41 am

The wonderful people at Uni of Calgary have provided a really useful site for learning Old English - www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/eduweb/engl401

I haven't found a way of getting the RealAudio links to work but for pronounciation there's loads of stuff on you tube

Big thanks to the lovely people in Canada :)

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLnwSc ... N5aV9in9ag There's a youtube channel - Leornende Old English - run by a terribly enthusiastic Canadian chap, which is quite fun. There's also Learn Old English With Leofwin. I do love youtube :)

Return to “410-1100”