tart cases..casings

Moderator: Moderators

Gothic-Haven

tart cases..casings

Postby Gothic-Haven » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:00 pm

hmmm ok so I am curious to know if tart cases or flan cases were available mid-late 15th cent have looked on't interweb but not seen anything a few recipies say use tart cases but if i want to do some auth-style tarts for table what would you guys suggest?

"its the bubbles.. they get lodged in me chest"
"mmm yes there's room for a few lodgers in there!"
www.gothichaven.com/gothic-clothing

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:37 pm

Pastry coffins appear to be the way
http://livinghistory.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13146&start
In particular the post by Hraefn Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:51 pm for the youtube videos

Gothic-Haven

Postby Gothic-Haven » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:44 pm

thats amazin...its too late to try now but must must have a go at that thanks :-)

"its the bubbles.. they get lodged in me chest"

"mmm yes there's room for a few lodgers in there!"

www.gothichaven.com/gothic-clothing

X

Postby X » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:32 pm

Lots of tarts (pastry) in the fifteenth century.

They get spelled 'tarte', and appear to be something like flans (quiches to the posh), only with all kinds of things in, not just egg. There's one recipe for pork tart, which has pork mince, pine nuts, egg, and cheese in (very nice).

If you're talking about how to make something that doesn't scream "I was bought at Tesco" or "I was made in a foil flan-case", get yourself a plain round pie-dish and make your tart in that. If you get an authentic pie-dish, you can put it on the table still in the dish; otherwise, with care, it is possible to remove your tart from the dish and serve it on a plate. In fact, one way of telling whether your tart is cooked is to check whether the pastry has separated from the sides of the dish yet.

(When I was a kid, bought flans - or bought flan cases - were something that only happened to other people. Flans are made in a ceramic flan-dish, and apple pie is baked on a pyrex plate.)

Seriously, though, I have seen obviously bought pastry spoil an otherwise good living history display. Everything else as per, and then you can see the marks from the aluminium-foil individual flan-cases on the tarts. A pity.

Have a look at this:

http://www.3owls.org/sca/cook/pastrycase.htm

It's SCA, so you need to be aware that sometimes they mix good research with modern experimentation to produce a mediaevalesque result without all the hassle of doing it the authentic way - but it's a good starting point and, as with everything SCA, it's pretty re-enactor-friendly as it's geared towards people trying to reproduce the past (with varying degrees of accuracy) in the middle of a field, not to academics with all the resources of a university behind them.

GuyDeDinan

Postby GuyDeDinan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:47 pm

Have a gander at Early French Cookery - Sources, history, original recipes and Modern Adaptions by D. Eleanor Scully and Terence Scully. It sources it's receipes (including tortes and pastries) from Chiquart, Viandier of Talievent and the Menagier de Paris. I've found it easy to read and relate to.

PS SCA feasts in Thamesreach are very popular ;)

SCA Thamesreach (London) - www.thamesreach.org

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:05 am

Forme of Cury - 14thc

A fifteenth century cookbook - basically Former of Cury but rewritten in the 15thc.

Both available from the Early english text society, both IIRC have open cased pie items.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Return to “Food and Drink”