Carders

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Christabel

Carders

Postby Christabel » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:36 pm

Does anyone know where I could get carders suitable for Tudor times? Many thanks.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:16 am

Jack Green had wonderful english combs at the ILHF, that set were snapped up fast but he might be persuaded to make more perhaps?

What staple length fleece are you working with? That can affect your choice of combs or cards a little

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Postby ViscontesseD'Asbeau » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:46 am

Mulberry Dyer had some, a while back:

http://www.tmdevents.co.uk/index.php?cP ... dfc1540c6d

Christabel

Postby Christabel » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:42 pm

That's a good question, Sally - any that I get given by friends with sheep!

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 pm

you may ultimatley want both cards and combs then, for different staple types, also depends whether you intend worsted or woollen spinning

fishwife

Postby fishwife » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:26 pm

The Mulberry Dyer will have carders at TORM! Researched and produced as accurately as is possible!!!!

We are the only people to do them and as far as I am aware that applies to anywhere in the World!!!

Hope to see you there!
Cheers,
Deb

Trust but in whom take care!

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Postby ViscontesseD'Asbeau » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Should point out for re-enactment (if you're female) you're better off with carders as woolcombing was a 'mystery' - ie: a skilled trade practised profeesionally, by men. You'd not be likely to see a woman combing wool, post medieval - unless you're doing Viking period in which case using Viking combs (hand held smaller combs not with one stationary).

Carders on the other hand, we used domestically throughout their history by women and children.

If you're Tudor, there'd be no point in using combs unless you're a bloke and can do a full journeyman comber set up. You'd need to be pretty skilled and experienced to look convincing at it. A good starting point is Peter Teal's definitve book. They heated the combs as well, so to do this properly, for re-enactment, you'd have all sorts of complications.

Woolcombers were at a premium - frequently travelled about as their services were so much in demand.

Carding on the other hand, is relatively unskilled work and was done on a domestic scale even by 5 year olds!

Karen Larsdatter

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:49 am

Dunno if it's helpful, but I have a few images of wool carders & combers at http://larsdatter.com/carding.htm too ... :)

Christabel

Postby Christabel » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:12 am

Back on the Forum at last, now that my broadband "provider" has kindly provided...
Yes, I would be portraying a Tudor female, so the information is really helpful. I hadn't come across the book yet - do you have the full title? Thanks all.

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Postby ViscontesseD'Asbeau » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:59 am

Here's the book on combing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hand-Wool-Combi ... 0713716452

But as a Tudor female, you wouldn't be combing!

You can find loads of tutorials on carding (and combing) on YouTube - some very much better than others! It's very hard to learn carding from a book but very easy once you see someone else doing it!

Be a bit wary as well of techniques, as some of the stuff on YouTube films people from the developing world, carding and the techniques and styles are not to same as were used in Europe, sometimes. Spindle spinning techniques vary from the European, too.

Found this recently - it's from the Isle of Man, 1938 and the oldest bit of film I've seen of someone carding - see the way she makes the rolags, that is very interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBj3zeFiPg

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:24 pm

Which group are you with for Tudor - if you are coming to Kentwell there will be plenty of people who can teach you how to card for Tudor.

Sophia :D

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Return to “General History”