Things that make you go '!'

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Mad Mab

Postby Mad Mab » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Medicus Matt wrote:
Kate Tiler wrote:Women's breasts hanging out like a 'pick & mix' pudding aisle.

Where?
I'm obviously doing the wrong periods.
:(

Usually at the front of their chests unless their anatomy was different in the Dark Ages...
:twisted: :wink:

Have broom, will travel!
The Company of St Margaret
The Borderers

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:21 pm

Well it *is* called the Migration Period...

so who knows where they ended up!

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:53 pm

lidimy wrote:Well it *is* called the Migration Period...

so who knows where they ended up!

Hanging over their eyes.
That's why it was 'Dark'.

"I never said that I was here to help."

Frances Perry

Postby Frances Perry » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:09 pm

Putting aside the wearing of corsets at medieval events like Tewkesbury...

Women who wear corsets when:

a) it is far too tight for them / not fitted properly
b) they are far to voluminous for them.

The flab's got to be cinched somewhere, and it either goes up or down! It's NOT sexy to see boobs at the front AND at the back!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.medievalartandwoodcraft.com

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.” Achille Marozzo, 1536

lizwardo

Postby lizwardo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:06 pm

Ooooh, so many things...

People who wear modern footwear. We give people some leeway in the first year, as many newbies are reluctant to shell out so much when they're not even sure if they're going to stick with it, but I know people who have been members for years but won't get period shoes and continue to insist on wearing desert boots. "But I can't afford period shoes" they cry. Right...but you could afford that lovely shiny new sword that you probably won't ever take on the field, and that posh doublet (that looks identical to several other people's doublets because they're all bought from the same trader) :roll:

Women with uncovered heads and undressed hair, or the coif just stuck on top of their loose tresses, and makeup, and modern jewellery

Eating modern food/smoking cigarettes/wearing sunglasses whilst in kit and in view of the public. Just....argh....don't. :evil:

Ooh, feeling teasy now. I remember a couple ofyears ago at Spetchley when I saw one of our guys wandering around in front of MOPs and other re-enactors with no doublet, no hat, smoking a cigarette and drinking beer from a plastic cup whilst wearing sunglasses. When I pulled him up on his appearance (because I was fuming!) he argued that he was wearing sunglasses because it was too sunny and the sun was in his eyes (yeah well, mine too, that's why I was wearing a wide-brimmed hat) and he should be allowed to drink from a plastic cup and smoke because "well it's a bit of fun innit, shouldn't take this all too seriously". He then told me to stop being such an authenti-nazi and get a life :shock:

I was not impressed.

And people wonder why we get such a bad rap from other groups... :roll: :oops:

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:45 pm

I find that 'made to measure ' corsets will cater for the top half - but not alter the lower half. Therefore I have a lovely 1850's corset that I can lace down to 29" waist from 33" and no serious back-muffin - but OH you should see the apron the modern flare hip fitting causes!

purple peril

Postby purple peril » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:22 pm

Hmm yes. Some supposedly 'made to measure' corsets look like they've been made to measure for someone else. Either too big or too small - both look really, really bad!

kittylittle

Postby kittylittle » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Dessie Boots my particular grrrr :evil: Footwear in particular makes me go grrrrrr. Yes you get the usual "oh I can't afford period shoes, and I only do x amount of musters per year so its not worth it" No but they will easily spend £100 plus in the beer tend over the weekend! My latchets were bought 15 years ago and are still going strong. My other wince is ladies not wearing a bodice over their shift but walking around with their corset on display, ye gods!

I'm in my own world, its ok they know me here.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:23 pm

The problem lies with those in charge who DON'T say 'You are NOT going out in that kit'...because they're obssessed with numbers.........And are petrified of being called Elitest........
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:54 pm

"And are petrified of being called Elitest."

Which is ironic since many reenactors see themselves as somehow different and superior to MOPs.

Elitism is a strength and it should be used wisely.

You do a period, you expect there to be parameters.

Quality not quantity every single time. Otherwise what is the point of working hard and saving hard so that some muppet can come along and wear trackkie bottoms and DBs.....

There are groups for all levels of 'accuracy'*, so if one is too 'elitist', then simply find another that is 'slack'.

*an oft used word meaning the other A word, neither are the right ones, but we all know this thread is exactly about that.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:32 pm

gregory23b wrote:Quality not quantity every single time. Otherwise what is the point of working hard and saving hard so that some muppet can come along and wear trackkie bottoms and DBs.....

There are groups for all levels of 'accuracy'*, so if one is too 'elitist', then simply find another that is 'slack'.

Got it in one!......The pity in 17cent,is that the slack are in the majority......'

auldMotherBegg

Postby auldMotherBegg » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:17 pm

People who know better than to wear modern make-up and do it anyway, and then look at me like I'm asking the impossible when I suggest they take it off, while the public are around. Saying, "I never go without make-up!" :twisted:

Maybe they should get a new hobby if they can't bear to leave it off.

People who don't wear the proper head gear, whatever period they are doing. Saying, "I never wear hats!" Don't they realise it completes the look, and is correct?! :evil:

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:25 pm

On foot wear my answer tough

I personally would hqve dragged said person of site but then again iam elitest and run an elite society of elite people or so Iam relaibly enformed

Oh yes and we have fun
But a lot of this comes down to simply having an agreed standard communicating it and enforcing it

Oh and a big stick too

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:43 pm

auldMotherBegg wrote:People who know better than to wear modern make-up and do it anyway, and then look at me like I'm asking the impossible when I suggest they take it off, while the public are around. Saying, "I never go without make-up!" :twisted:

People who don't wear the proper head gear, whatever period they are doing. Saying, "I never wear hats!" Don't they realise it completes the look, and is correct?! :evil:

Once saw a 17thcent Female staff 'hanger-on' in male kit with full modern make-up AND nail varnish....NOT my group!(But the lycra 'breeches' & thigh-boots were....nice) :D
Steve

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:59 pm

Play nice, childer or I shall put out a saucer of milk and buy you these .....

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:03 pm

Sorry......I will be nicer to the disadvantaged,
I will be nicer to the disadvantaged,
I will be nic.......
No,can't do it............... :)
Steve

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:49 pm

Beleive me this is me being nice

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Yes,you're being REMARKABLY nice....You're not on the same dried frog pills as me,are you...?
Steve

andy1863

Postby andy1863 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:32 pm

b&q tea light lanterns and the claim of period

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:48 pm

andy1863 wrote:b&q tea light lanterns and the claim of period

'Yeah...Well...They look old, don't they.......'

NO THEY DON'T YOU MORONS!!!!!!!
Steve...feeling better......

Redders

Postby Redders » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:54 pm

steve stanley wrote:
auldMotherBegg wrote:People who know better than to wear modern make-up and do it anyway, and then look at me like I'm asking the impossible when I suggest they take it off, while the public are around. Saying, "I never go without make-up!" :twisted:

Once saw a 17thcent Female staff 'hanger-on' in male kit with full modern make-up AND nail varnish....NOT my group!(But the lycra 'breeches' & thigh-boots were....nice) :D
Steve

I recall one of those at Pots n' Pans - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:23 pm

I could add BQ furniture a alck of research when its readily available etc etce

And as Steve knows I am jsut revving up for Lanark where I will be wearign ahand woven hand sewn set of clothes

set the standards high and then when youa chieve them you have the right to point and laugh

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:26 pm

Redders wrote:
steve stanley wrote:

Steve

I recall one of those at Pots n' Pans - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Oh God Yes,I'd forgotten that one...........

Scottish Lady

Postby Scottish Lady » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:42 pm

Wasn't it blue nail varnish to match the blue 'velvet' jacket..!

Scottish Lady/The 'Meenister'

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:43 am

Scottish Lady wrote:Wasn't it blue nail varnish to match the blue 'velvet' jacket..!

I think you're right...
Steve

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:17 pm

steve stanley wrote:
Scottish Lady wrote:Wasn't it blue nail varnish to match the blue 'velvet' jacket..!

I think you're right...

But now Tod keeps that sort of thing to after hours ;)

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:46 pm

peopel who go oh thats a bit expensive

well its an expensive hobby get used to it or get another

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Greetings, Your Imperious Niceness. Yes, you are and I am worried. Have you got Jesus or something?

Steve - good try , pills or no. We are mere beginners who named the master.

Shadowcat - re your niggle on regency waistlines, what really irritates me is that some people in slipped waist regency dresses are of course doing it right for the short period before the Peace of Amiens when english waists had slipped down to a lower more natural position and french waists stayed high. Englishwomen were derided in the streets of Paris when they were able to visit again in 1814 soon hoisted back to he Parisian aesthetic. But it looks ugly. And often those who do produce these slipped waist frocks are probably unaware that it could be correct....................... (reproduced satirical plate from Le Bon Genre 1814 although Isuspect the slippage wasn't this far, nor the english bully quite so bulgey)

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Phil the Grips wrote:
steve stanley wrote:

I think you're right...

But now Tod keeps that sort of thing to after hours ;)

Now have VERY unsettling mental picture......... :cry:
Steve

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:14 pm

Alice the Huswyf wrote:
Shadowcat - re your niggle on regency waistlines, what really irritates me is that some people in slipped waist regency dresses are of course doing it right for the short period before the Peace of Amiens when english waists had slipped down to a lower more natural position and french waists stayed high. Englishwomen were derided in the streets of Paris when they were able to visit again in 1814 soon hoisted back to he Parisian aesthetic. But it looks ugly. And often those who do produce these slipped waist frocks are probably unaware that it could be correct....................... (reproduced satirical plate from Le Bon Genre 1814 although Isuspect the slippage wasn't this far, nor the english bully quite so bulgey)

Oh, I so agree about the lower waistline - I haven't seen one that "knew" it might be period correct. However, I also see some that are above the underbust waistline - so the bodice does not go in "under" the bust at all. Grrr!!

Suzi

Return to “Costumes”