Fabric, fabric clearance

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Fabric, fabric clearance

Postby frances » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:04 pm

I'm working on a new website to reduce the stocks of fabrics.
Here are some pics, but prices not yet added.

http://createthemood.viviti.com/

Any comments on the site would be welcome.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:50 pm

Frances

I'm interested in the grey/white silk, and the gold curlique ones - 18/21. However, it will depend on the price and the quantity.

Suzi

Handbag

Postby Handbag » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:17 pm

how much for the blue/beige woven brocade and how much of it is available - would also be interested in the golds if shadowcat doesnt take them!!

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:26 pm

Well that was quick!

As you can see I am still setting up the site. But you both seem to have found your way round it OK. Is that right?

Suzi - I think that you have noticed that I have the same fabric in twice - there is only a small amount left of the stiff silk with gold printed curlicues- about 0.75 metre. You can reserve it - £5 plus postage.

The white/grey striped silk, I will have to measure how much is left. I doubt if it is anything like 10 metres, if that is what you are looking for. More like 5m or less. £8/m.

Handbag - Blue/beige woven brocade is around 4 or 5 metres (but I will have to measure it), reduced to £20 per metre plus postage. This is not a light-weight fabric.

I'm off to add a few more fabrics.

Thrud

Postby Thrud » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:41 pm

I am interested in some of the wools. The Mottled wool, the brown twill and the Herringbone.

Could I possibly have some samples and prices please?

Kind regards
Rich

By the sacred toenail clippings of J.R.R Tolkein... You'll pay for that hellspawn!

I am a snob and I am proud of it but I also like a good poo joke every now and then too.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:05 pm

May be interested in the lavender wool... how much is there and how much p/m? :D

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:22 pm

Now I have got myself totally confused - the fabrics are not here at home so I cannot check. Give me a few days to see whether there are one or two silk fabrics with a gold metallic print.

I'll check the quantity of the wools too. (It all depends upon having a dry day.)

Consider the fabrics reserved, but you are under no obligation to purchase until I have given you quantities and prices and you have agreed by email. OK?

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:01 am

Thanks Frances - looking forward to hearing prices and yardage. I'll happily take the small gold piece thanks, and will wait in case there is any more.

Suzi

Matt_D

Postby Matt_D » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi,
What quantity and how much are the army blankets you have shown? I have been asked to make some Red Army greatcoats.

Matt

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi Matt,

I think that I have two of the heaviest grey blankets left now, and maybe a couple of lighter-weight grey ones. I will measure them for you, but I expect that you could only get one greatcoat out of each. The darkest grey ones are very thick and heavy. Would be excellent in the deep snow. But quite a job to sew without an industrial machine.

I have about 8 of the cream wool blankets.

I'll try to get to the store this week to let you all know what is what.

Handbag

Postby Handbag » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:15 pm

frances wrote:
Handbag - Blue/beige woven brocade is around 4 or 5 metres (but I will have to measure it), reduced to £20 per metre plus postage. This is not a light-weight fabric.

I'm off to add a few more fabrics.

hi

when you say not light weight - are you saying not suitable for dressmaking? more suitable for hangings/curtains etc?? just so im clear?!

thanks

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:15 am

Cream blankets now spoken for.

Dear Handbag, I would use the brocade for a sideless surcote or an overgown, or petticoats that show and matching undersleeves and stomacher in Tudor times. It is too thick for under-dresses.

I was thinking about going to boot camp; I am bound to have another vehicle by then. Would this be a good place to make deliveries to those that live north of the River Thames?

There are lots more fabrics that I have not yet been able to photograph. I have to do christmassy things and deal with even more legal stuff to do with my neighbours harassment at the moment. So I will not put up more pics until at least until after 25th. I'll let you know when I have done it. OK?

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:55 pm

Right, update - I have been to the store and collected a lot of the fabrics to measure.

There are two grey blankets, 6 cream ones, definately two types of gold metallic screen printed silk - but could only lay my hands on one of them yesterday. I'll get back to you by pm individually with sizes and prices when I've done all my Christmas cards and posted them. Yes, I know!!

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:54 pm

I did my last card on the 24th - all due to having a court deadline of 19th Dec for a big batch of papers.

Right, back to the subject. I have added a few more fabrics to the site and have started to add prices. I will get back to you individually within the next couple of days about the fabrics you were enquiring about.

Happy New Year

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:22 pm

Frances, on the 'Victorian/Regency' page, the sillk with the fine grey stripe on white, would that be suitable for late 18th C as well? For a polonaise style gown or some such?

(sorry if that's the one you were eyeing, Shadowcat, wasn't sure whether you were looking at the greyish white silk or the greyish striped white silk?? :oops: :D please say if you've already spoken for it before I get too emotionally attached to it!)

How much is there, Frances, and if you could let me know the price p/m as well that'd be smashing :D

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:38 pm

Lidi

It's the grey/white striped silk I am after, so hands off, it's mine, all mine (if I can afford it!!)

S.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:43 pm

Ooops - sorry! xD

OK, looking at the whitey silk now.... same questions again please, Frances! :oops: (price p/m and quantity)

:D

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:17 pm

Shadowcat.

I am now VERY confused. Another inspection of the site reveals that there are no less than three white silks with grey stripes.

Which one were you wanting exactly? :lol: Chunky, narrow, or skinny stripes?

8) :D

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:25 pm

Frances and I have sorted out a striped silk for me. I suggest you ask her what's left, as I only saw one that registered - It's no17. The other stripes are cotton, if I read the description right.

S.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:32 pm

Nope, there're definitely three!

I don't know about numbers.... but on the silks page there're two striped grey and white silks, one is now sold?

and the other one is on the Victorian/Napoleonic section, not the top cotton one but about half way down...

(am checking with Frances anyway)

:D

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:20 am

I've not looked at the pages you are looking at - I linked to the page Frances first put up, and the sold one is mine!!

S.

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:41 am

Oh goodee, I like a good tiff. (':lol:')
Lidi, I'll try to get to the store again this week - but I have visitors, who do not have a car.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:51 am

Hi
could you give me price and quatity of items (picture numbers) 34 and 58, both are tartans. Also the size of the set.
Thanks.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:46 am

Shadowcat wrote:I've not looked at the pages you are looking at - I linked to the page Frances first put up, and the sold one is mine!!

S.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!! mwah!

In which case Frances I'm definitely looking at the one with the narrow grey stripes. not the silk that is basically grey it's so finely striped (though I'm interested in that too ,actually. Polonaise gowns need a filly in bit at the front don't they?)

Could I have some info about those two please? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:52 am

It's a shame that the grey striped cotton isn't silk actually. That would be so perfect :(

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:46 am

lidimy wrote:It's a shame that the grey striped cotton isn't silk actually. That would be so perfect :(

No reason why you shouldn't wear a cotton polonaise. There are some beautiful printed cotton ones in the V and A. Cotton was very fashionable at the end of the 18th century, at the time of polonaises.

S.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:58 am

Really? Even for posh dance dresses? This new dress will be for my dance group so I can finally join in on the 18th C dance shows, but I want it to be of such a standard that I can wear it for re-enacty events, too.

Would the petticoat need to be cotton then, too?

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:55 pm

lidimy wrote:Really? Even for posh dance dresses? This new dress will be for my dance group so I can finally join in on the 18th C dance shows, but I want it to be of such a standard that I can wear it for re-enacty events, too.

Would the petticoat need to be cotton then, too?

If you can get away with cotton, then the petticoat should be cotton too, in my opinion. Check with your costume boss of your group, but as far as I know it should be possible - he/she may have different ideas, and it may depend on the status of the dance "occasion". In other words, if you are "at court" for your event, then silk should be worn. However, cotton might be worn at a local town event - the rules were flexible, but not entirely. If your cotton was made up in a highly fashionable dress, then you are fashionable, therefore wealthy, so you could get away with things!

I am currently making three 1780's dresses, polonaise style, to be worn at balls. One is pink/white striped silk duopion, but the slubs don't show,, one is gold silk dupion furnishing fabric from John Lewis, with silk and chenille embroidery, and the last is embroidered silk from Hyena in America. The group wants an authentic look, but the fabric can "look" right. The underwear is modern made from original shapes. See what the rules are in your group. The Minuet Company dresses are a real mixture - I know you looked at that site. Some are silk, some synthetic yarn dyed taffeta, some modern polyester satin - yuck! (Not mine!)

S.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:11 pm

Well, I just looked at the Ian Chipperfield's site on the polonaise bit. And checked on my own dance group's site.

Predictably, there's a mixture of cotton and silk! :roll: I'll definitely check with the costume lady, plus I'm seeing Ian on Friday anyway so I'll run it past him. If it can go either way, then at least there's a bit of flexibility. With the right hairdo and trims, I'm sure cotton can look nice too, as you say. (: The dances we tend to do are a mixture of 'country' dances (Playford, basically) and some posh French ones, and this dress is specifically for the Norwich Early Dance 25th anniversary at the Norwich assembly rooms (home of Noverre! :D ) so I would like it to be special!

The gowns you're making sound lovely... I remember seeing some before that you made for the Playford Ball or something...?

Sorry Frances - kinda hijacking your thread.... it is about fabric reeeeeaaally :D

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:05 pm

Carry on ladies. I might come to that ball; let me have details would you.

Return to “Costumes”