Getting stall holders for new events

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:27 am

Kate is one person that inspired me, of that I am very clear, when I restarted the dressing up with the revivial of my interest in the late medieval creative stuff, Kate was a great source of rational thinking and go for it attitude.

Kate, as for the having your stuff photographed by a nameless trader from outremer, I had that as well, but more than that even, but it was dealt with, it wont be the last time.

Like Tod, I do what I do because it interests me and that interest makes some modest income, some of the skills are not really present any more in normal life and are themselve marketable commodities. The real work is the research and trial and error.

IN the proverbial nutshell Kate, you have my sympathy.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:36 pm

Yes, it's a toss-up between showing everyone what you can do based on solid research and hard work and skills built up over years, and not wanting all and sundry to see what you are doing and then they copy you. But without the effort you have put in.

I once asked a trader if I could copy a piece of headwear that she had, to make one for myself. She refused since she had done all the work etc, and I accepted that.

On another occasion I was shown a leather bag that someone had made. She had purchased the leather the day before and overnight had made a bag. But it was an exact copy of a design her friend had purchased from a trader. I did not know what to say.

I suppose the only consolation is that if someone does set themselves up to be another craftsperson, or narrow-braid weaver or whatever, they will soon find out the great amount of dedication and time and effort needed to do it. And also how little money it is possible to make.

And no, there is not one great warehouse where you go to purchase all your stock, is there. How many, many times have I been asked where did I get my stock from.

Kate Tiler
Post Centurion

Postby Kate Tiler » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:25 am

I've edited my last post because I am feeling a bit more positive and don't want to leave such a personally written episode on public view.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words & PMs - I hope people know me well enough to realise that I don't usually get in such a bad state & thanks for your patience.

http://www.katetiler.co.uk
http://www.companyofartisans.co.uk
"In art as in life everything is possible as long as it is based on love" Marc Chagall

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am

Kate medear, you have never needed patience from us, though you have always shown it with everyone else. Lets just hope next year works out a bit better. Tim keeps telling me it's not long to solstice and then we will be heading towards spring...
Lucy

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

timbobarnacle

Postby timbobarnacle » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:25 pm

it sure is not long to Solstice - that is how I get through the winter - then the daylight hours get longer!
Kate - you are great to know- and you helped me with Henry 3 years ago - keep at it because your work is brilliant

fast removing B&Q boxes from re-enactment, and hoping to do the same for sash cord guy ropes

Return to “Traders Discussion”