Black colour begone! - A little help please

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Black colour begone! - A little help please

Postby zauberdachs » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:04 pm

I've just acquired a very nice set of joined hose from a friend of mine who is selling off his kit. The only problem is that they are made of black fabric.

I was wondering if there was a way of ether toning down the black to a grey or of altering the colour to something more acceptable.

Expert advice and suggestion would be appreciated,

thanks

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:10 pm

Black is perfectly acceptable - there were many ways of obtaining black in Mediaeval period some cheaper than others.

If you are desperate to tone it down then you could risk using an oxygen bleach such as Ecover's Bleach Powder though this might weaken the fabric and the results will be patchy.

The other alternative is to hang them on the line in all weathers to get that really used look.

Soph :D

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:27 am

I would agree
it's having every piece of kit in black .. that would be unacceptable (with the usual caveats for the persona you are portraying - yes there are always some exceptions etc etc)besides most of your kit is respectable so I see no problem with you having black hose to be honest.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:30 am

Jenn wrote:I would agree
it's having every piece of kit in black .. that would be unacceptable (with the usual caveats for the persona you are portraying - yes there are always some exceptions etc etc)besides most of your kit is respectable so I see no problem with you having black hose to be honest.

Thanks,

The other reason is years of taking the micky out of the Cad would be thrown back in my face... :oops:

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Mad Mab

Postby Mad Mab » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:15 pm

Nooo, you won't be The Beige Avenger anymore! :shock:

Have broom, will travel!
The Company of St Margaret
The Borderers

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:40 pm

Fear not, this is for my 15th century kit which has never been beige.

The avenger will continue!

Incidentally, what was the name of the BA's side kick?

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:56 pm

yes but all his stuff is black so my point still stands - besides there are so many other fun ways
Magic goblet anyone?

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:58 pm

Jenn wrote:yes but all his stuff is black so my point still stands - besides there are so many other fun ways
Magic goblet anyone?

Of course it stands, never said otherwise ;)

It would be thrown back in my face because I was mocking his blackness not the overall effect as I should have been...

Mad Mab

Postby Mad Mab » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:17 pm

zauberdachs wrote:Fear not, this is for my 15th century kit which has never been beige.

Well you have a choice of Non-Sequitor Girl or the Incredible Bulk (You wouldn't like him when he's hungry!) :wink:

Have broom, will travel!

The Borderers

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:51 pm

Mad Mab wrote:
zauberdachs wrote:Fear not, this is for my 15th century kit which has never been beige.

Well you have a choice of Non-Sequitor Girl or the Incredible Bulk (You wouldn't like him when he's hungry!) :wink:

:lol:

Don't forget the mole army!

Mad Mab

Postby Mad Mab » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:37 pm

zauberdachs wrote:
Mad Mab wrote:

:lol:

Don't forget the mole army!

No, you can't rely on them. They'll do what they feel like and half of that is underground.

Have broom, will travel!

The Borderers

Return to “Costumes”