Modern necessities

Moderator: Moderators

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:39 am

StaffordCleggy wrote:Shouldn't your Captain be letting you know it's time to get ready?

Unfortantely, I am my Captain. :cry:

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:41 am

Fox wrote:
StaffordCleggy wrote:Shouldn't your Captain be letting you know it's time to get ready?

Unfortantely, I am my Captain. :cry:

Are you not on speaking terms with yourself at the moment then? :wink:

www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

Colin MacDonald

Postby Colin MacDonald » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:19 pm

Actually, couldn't an announcement be worked into the day's script?

Watching - or indeed helping - sweating swearing soldiers struggle swiftly into stinking steel suits (try saying that ten times quickly) can be entertainment in itself, so why not announce it at such, at an appropriate time before the muster?

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:28 am

I certainly think it could, a "How a manne doth dresse for warre" type description.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Colin MacDonald

Postby Colin MacDonald » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:46 am

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:I certainly think it could, a "How a manne doth dresse for warre" type description.

Struggling, jiggling, hopping, getting stuck in your "shrunken" armour, swearing up a storm, last minute cadging of an arming cap and belt... 100% authentic. :)

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:02 pm

"How aye manne doth curse his squire", mayhap.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:46 pm

I suppose "Howe a fat bar-steward shall sit himself downe for ye reste halfway through his arming 'cos he doth mightily sweat & risks falling over" would be too much of a re-enactorism then? :lol:

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."
- Anne Lamott

Colin MacDonald

Postby Colin MacDonald » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:14 pm

The camp is blighted with the bloothy flux. Look, everyone has swollen up with the evil vapours.

craziequeen

Modern Necessities

Postby craziequeen » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:16 pm

I carry my watch in my pouch out of sight. We used to have a member who pinned it inside his hat so he could 'doff it and squint at the sun to tell the time' :-D

Modern necessities?

Speaking as a woman, toilets are a necessity. But I am ok with the new crank-style porta-potty. They are ok and survive most heavy usage.

I'm debating investing in a pair of knee-pads for next year - as I get some rough treatment as an accused adulterous wife!

Other stuff - my airbed, my sleeping bag, the luxury of vegetarian food....um toilet tissue! :-)

CFarrell

Postby CFarrell » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:23 pm

Personally I keep my watch and an inhaler in my pouch, the latter at all times even during battles. Beyond that...I sleep on the ground using a couple of blankets, a cloak, a reindeer hide and a red deer hide as mattress and covers. For a pillow my tunic and wooly hat are perfect (though my brother swears by a chainmail shirt as a pillow).

I also keep painkillers either on me (when around the camp) or with my stuff in the tent (when on the field).

Fillionous

Postby Fillionous » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:22 pm

I have a watch hidden in my clothes, there are a couple of events where there are local church bells that you can hear to keep track of the time but most there are either no announcements at all or they blend into the background noise of the event / MoPs talking or you end up camped too far away to hear it as anything more than a muffled distorted drone. The watch becomes essential to keep track of what is happening when... esspecally important for a committee members and folks with children on a rutine and folks wanting to make muster in good time.

Other luxuaries / essentials for me... that just happen to be anacronistic...
My epipen - hidden in a hand made leather tube... looks like a sewing case until you spot the med alert symbol carved into the leather!
Sleeping bag - although it is all snuggled in yummy sheep fleeces and well hidden in the back of the tent.
Kelly kettle - only used out of hours and hidden in the tent at other times, but the best / quickest way to get hot water.
Toilets - although for most purposes I avoid the turdis's and use the fully authentic p*ss pot...
Toileteries - sorry, once a month, as a lady, there are certian things I will not do without! And I also like to have a hairbrush and toothpaste and brush - used outside of open hours as they are quite modern in apperance.
Baby wipes, soap and bog roll - sorts out a multitude hygine of problems.

Be bright,be bold
Fillionous

Orathanni tal ka Zarness - Blessings of the Stars
http://shieldmaiden.co.uk - for heraldry, shields and banners.

Chris, yclept John Barber

Postby Chris, yclept John Barber » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:15 pm

The microphone.

In some big events, you can have a dedicated commentator hidden away somewhere, but for the majority of them you need a re-renactor with a mike down there on the field.

This year we've invested part of our Lottery grant in a new PA with a lapel radio-mike. Even that's a bit noticeable, but I discovered this weekend that a bevoir makes a perfect place for a lapel mike. Inside there it's close to the mouth, out of view of the public, and perfectly sheltered from the North Sea winds (It was Fort Paull, so they were funnelled up by the Humber estuary.)

Of course he has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives - it's 1183 and we're barbarians.

Return to “1100-1500”