Slingsby's shirt (17thC)

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Slingsby's shirt (17thC)

Postby ViscontesseD'Asbeau » Wed May 28, 2008 2:31 pm

For anyone costume orientated, in Yorkshire or visiting, there is the shirt of Sir Henry Slingsby, executed in 1658, on display in the museum at Knaresborough Castle.

http://www.harrogate.gov.uk/immediacy-996

You can get close up enough to check out the details - some interesting stitching, oversewing the armholes, and you can easily figure out the construction just from looking at the shirt. Although 1658 it would clearly be fine to copy for 1640s. It's a rather nice shirt, but not spectacular or fancy.

Interested me because one of my family names is Slingsby and from this part of Yorkshire, although I can't get mine back past 18thC, yet.

http://www.theslingsbys.co.uk/slingday1.htm

Jenn R

Re: Slingsby's shirt (17thC)

Postby Jenn R » Wed May 28, 2008 3:38 pm

ViscontesseD'Asbeau wrote:Although 1658 it would clearly be fine to copy for 1640s.

*NOT MY PERIOD*

I'm not trolling or anything, just generally interested in your reasoning. Why would a shirt from one year 'clearly be fine to copy' for a dateline of nearly 20 years earlier? Didn't fashions change?

Bored now....

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Wed May 28, 2008 3:57 pm

Between about late 15th to late 18th century there was little or no change in the basic structure of mens shirts.
Whilst there can be a major differences between external clothing of 1640s and late 1650s. Changes in linen are glacial

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed May 28, 2008 4:57 pm

Actually there were fairly massive changes in men's shirts from the 15th to the late 16th century - then it slowed down and aside from details (collar shapes, etc) they stayed the same till roughly the mid 18the century - then little change till mid victorian.

So this is one thing where you can use a later item as evidence for an earlier one, as long as you know vaguely the lines not to cross.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Jenn R

Postby Jenn R » Wed May 28, 2008 5:06 pm

Oh interesting, I didn't realise that at all. Thanks for the information :D

Bored now....

Return to “Costumes”