more rockingham 08 pictures

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

squamatus

Late 1st Century Romans at Rockingham 2008

Postby squamatus » Wed May 07, 2008 11:05 pm

There we were all wrapped up expecting it to be a cold wet weekend... :roll:

Robin Brown

Legio VIII Augusta MGV
http://roman.org.uk

oakenshield

Re: Late 1st Century Romans at Rockingham 2008

Postby oakenshield » Thu May 08, 2008 8:55 am

squamatus wrote:Image

There we were all wrapped up expecting it to be a cold wet weekend... :roll:

yep us to my missus said hey get the the sun hats as we walked out the door so i grabbed the rain coats instead and promtly got a sunburnt nose
oddly though thats us in the background to the top right :)

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Sun May 11, 2008 11:45 am

Hi all

Thanks for sharing your piccies with us, really great quality and most of the groups look absolutely fantastic to match!

Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!
www.angevin.org

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Re: Just a couple..

Postby Tod » Tue May 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Brand wrote:http://wightpirates.wetpaint.com/page/Shows+2008

Please tell me the chap in the kilt was outside public opening hours.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Tue May 13, 2008 3:27 pm

...or a belly dancer ;)

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Jim Smith

Postby Jim Smith » Tue May 13, 2008 6:31 pm

Tod wrote:

I hope the same - but fear the worst...

"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue May 13, 2008 7:41 pm

I somehow suspect that your feears will be jsutified on this

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Wed May 14, 2008 6:17 am

Jim Smith wrote:
Tod wrote:

I hope the same - but fear the worst...

Did Scotland invent the Black Death, is that why this is visited upon us so often, as an act of retribution?

I re-enact therefore I am

Embrace the future of Steampunk Goodness!

squamatus

...and Rockingham videos

Postby squamatus » Fri May 16, 2008 6:13 pm

I'd forgotten all about the bloke with the video camera :oops:

Robin Brown

Legio VIII Augusta MGV
http://roman.org.uk

Ace Rimmer

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sat May 17, 2008 9:54 am

awesome, there's a few of our guys in the picture on the left 2nd set of pics down :D

Don't drink with the COSJ's
Don't fight with the COSJ's
Don't sing with the COSJ's

You will lose.......

lucy the tudor wrote: I think men win due to longevity.

Brand

Postby Brand » Sun May 18, 2008 6:29 pm

Jim Smith wrote:-

'I hope the same - but fear the worst...'

Yeah, that was me- but it is period for napoleonic which is where our Pirate encampment was based (was only for a little while - had to keep on getting changed for the different battles).

To be honest I only ended up wearing it during the day because some idiot failed to pull a blow to my arm and left me incapacitated- couldn't operate trousers!

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon May 19, 2008 8:32 am

The point we were making is that the "Highland" garb you are wearing is totally wrong and fits no period.
Those of us that either do or have done a period that involves wearing a full plaid get more that a bit fed up with people wearing what is supposed to be Scottish costume from what ever period and getting it totally wrong.

In particular it gets the back up of those of us who are Scottish.

Brand

Postby Brand » Mon May 19, 2008 7:22 pm

In that case my sincere apologies- could you point me in the right direction for Napoleonic scottish thug look?

I do have plaid at home but had the kilt with me for evening wear (just so comfy 8) )- primarily wearing it during the day due to me busted arm.

Not sure about 'Scottishness'- 1 grandparent from Scotland but then 1 from Cork, other 2 from N.Yorkshire- don't see myself as Scottish but don't see myself as English or Irish either...

Now if your saying that only those born in Scotlsand have buiness wearing any kind of kilt/ plaid then what do you make of the Czechs, French and Germans who fight on Semlac hill as Anglo-Saxons?

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Mon May 19, 2008 8:06 pm

Brand wrote:In that case my sincere apologies- could you point me in the right direction for Napoleonic scottish thug look?

I wouldn't look for a 'Scottish thug' look, I would look for something that actually fits the period that's Scottish. Or are you trying to say that all Scotsmen are thugs?

Now if your saying that only those born in Scotlsand have buiness wearing any kind of kilt/ plaid then what do you make of the Czechs, French and Germans who fight on Semlac hill as Anglo-Saxons?

I don't really care where someone's from and what they want to dress up as, but if they appear at a re-enactment event dressed in Scottish kit, then they should take care to make sure it actually resembles what Scottish kit was actually like, not the Hollywood idea.

Brand

Postby Brand » Mon May 19, 2008 8:18 pm

Alan_F said-

'I wouldn't look for a 'Scottish thug' look, I would look for something that actually fits the period that's Scottish. Or are you trying to say that all Scotsmen are thugs?'

Hey calm down- For this period I only do Pirate/ Highwayman/ Thug- so this is just a different version of that character- I had no plan to wear the kilt as kit originally but am curious as to what kit a Scottish version of this character may look like. The idea that any geographic group was more prone to being thugs than another had not entered my mind.

the real lord duvet

Postby the real lord duvet » Mon May 19, 2008 8:24 pm

Brand wrote:Alan_F said-

'I wouldn't look for a 'Scottish thug' look, I would look for something that actually fits the period that's Scottish. Or are you trying to say that all Scotsmen are thugs?'

Hey calm down- For this period I only do Pirate/ Highwayman/ Thug- so this is just a different version of that character- I had no plan to wear the kilt as kit originally but am curious as to what kit a Scottish version of this character may look like. The idea that any geographic group was more prone to being thugs than another had not entered my mind.

isn't it obvious the scottish version would wear a kilt, rangers shirt and have orange hair and drink irn bru and vodka from a plastic bag whilst eating a deep fried mars bar singing the greatest hits of andy stewart.

just like mr F?

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Tue May 20, 2008 5:19 am

the real lord duvet wrote:
Brand wrote:Alan_F said-

isn't it obvious the scottish version would wear a kilt, rangers shirt and have orange hair and drink irn bru and vodka from a plastic bag whilst eating a deep fried mars bar singing the greatest hits of andy stewart.

just like mr F?

Let's see.... I'm teetotal, I support no football team (and I'm a catholic to boot so I wouldn't support Rangers) and I've never seen a singing mars bar.

Do you go out of your way to be offensive and uninformed?

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed May 21, 2008 5:58 pm

Napoleonic period Scottish criminal, presumably from the Highlands?
So do you want the clothing of an early 19th century Highlander?

Quote: Now if your saying that only those born in Scotlsand have buiness wearing any kind of kilt/ plaid then what do you make of the Czechs, French and Germans who fight on Semlac hill as Anglo-Saxons?

No what I'm saying is if you are going to portray any person and in particular some one who is of on obvious origin then you should aim to get it as right as you possibly can. What evidence do you have for the costume you were wearing in that picture? Or was it total fantasy? In which case there is no problem but you were at a historical re-enactment event and therefore the public think you are portraying some thing accurately. Do you see the problem?

Brand

Postby Brand » Wed May 21, 2008 9:09 pm

Todd said:-

'Napoleonic period Scottish criminal, presumably from the Highlands?
So do you want the clothing of an early 19th century Highlander?'

YES!

As I said this outfit was thrown together due to circumstance, at the time I thought it was a fair attempt at kit for that time- quite evidently not from your response but other than infantry garb I'm not finding much useful info on what changes should be made- as I understand it the stiched garment kilt (as opposed paid) was in use from 1797 and I had assumed that a white linen shirt was a likely accompaniment, along with the basket hilt.

Genuinely interested in finding out more- any links?

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Wed May 21, 2008 10:30 pm

Brand wrote:Todd said:-

YES!

As I said this outfit was thrown together due to circumstance, at the time I thought it was a fair attempt at kit for that time- quite evidently not from your response but other than infantry garb I'm not finding much useful info on what changes should be made- as I understand it the stiched garment kilt (as opposed paid) was in use from 1797 and I had assumed that a white linen shirt was a likely accompaniment, along with the basket hilt.

Perhaps you could post a picture of you in your kit as there were a few bekilted people in those pictures, then folk could be more specific?

Alan F: now, now, keep your kilt on old boy ;)

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Alan_F
Post Centurion

Postby Alan_F » Wed May 21, 2008 10:47 pm

zauberdachs wrote:
Brand wrote:Todd said:-

YES!

Perhaps you could post a picture of you in your kit as there were a few bekilted people in those pictures, then folk could be more specific?

Alan F: now, now, keep your kilt on old boy ;)

Being from Edinburgh, you'll have had yours already.... :lol:

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu May 22, 2008 8:18 am

This is a good place to start http://www.inverarayjail.co.uk/ you can look up the records of those who were in clink or transported, in some cases it gives kit references.
The is also a book called Highland Folk Ways. I'm at work so can't look up my copy but it tends to be 19th century.
For info. kilts only became popular again in the 1790's although it's more than possible that people were wearing them in remote parts of the Highlands, note that these were initially the full 60" width, but by 1790 (ish) they had gone to 30" width (Scottish ell = width woven on a hand loom). Many hand sewn in pleats. These were worn by the well off rather than the poor as it had become a fashionable garment rather than a utility garment.
It is fair to say that Highlanders had by this time moved to wearing breeches and coats. Descriptions at the time echo this.
So if you are going to portray some sort of Highland rogue you'd best aim for normal clothing of the period (shoes, stockings/hose, breeches, shirt, waistcoat, top coat, bonnet/hat) as wearing plaid and a shirt would be wrong, and if you did wear this you would be dead in about 10 minutes in winter.

Although this is modern it's a pretty good image, a bit too clean. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/105597 ... 2479pqdiEy

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Thu May 22, 2008 3:30 pm

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Brand

Postby Brand » Tue May 27, 2008 3:13 pm

Cheers guys- lots to look at and read.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Tue May 27, 2008 4:00 pm

Note that the thread refered to above and given again here

http://livinghistory.co.uk/forums/viewt ... tish+dress

is for early stuff not 17-19th century.

Mark P.

Postby Mark P. » Tue May 27, 2008 6:34 pm

This might get you a little closer to a late C18th/early C19th impression a little less cake and a few more guns obviuosly.

The Highland Wedding
circa 1780

http://www.nationalgalleries.org/collec ... n&submit=1

Pulteney's Regiment
'We're from the Government, we're here to help'

http://www.13thfoot.co.uk or http://www.facebook.com/LaceWars

'The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it'

kael

Postby kael » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:02 pm

darn, none of me dragging a scummy saxon up and down the crowd line murdering him bruatally (blood and gore too ^^)

Return to “Pictures”