Anyone else got sewing angst?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

JC Milwr

Anyone else got sewing angst?

Postby JC Milwr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:05 pm

In the next 2 weeks (where did this weekend go?) I have to hem and take in a childs kirtle (without cutting anything, and it's lined), make a childs shift, a toddlers shift and tunic (preferably 2), toddlers trews and a new shift for me, arg!

What I _want_ to be doing is be fiddling with my 18th C garb for Lulworth, so I'm stalling :(
My stays will arrive next week, so I'll be even more tempted!

and I don't have another free day till Thursday, and am busy one day next weekend, eep!

<sigh>

Dance like nobody's watching, love like you've never been hurt.

Handbag

Postby Handbag » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:16 pm

got that feeling too!! im halfway through a lovely woolen kirtle for myself. i have dresses to make for my wedding in august! a tunic that has been sat on the dummy for months now that needs to be finished for the other half. and today instead of sewing i went out under the pretence i needed more needles only to end up buying more fabric for another newly inspired dress!!

i also need to give the sewing room a really good clear up (i cannot work in that kind of chaos) but cant seem to get enthused about doing that either!!

i blame long working weeks and too much partying on friday!! but hey sometimes you just gotta let your hair down and relax!! :lol: :lol:

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:20 pm

I can only sympathise, I am learning to forgive myself for all the things I should get done, and haven't, but it still means they pile up.
My problem is I can be organised for so long, but then I get desperate to try a new loom design, or to make a copy of an early toy and I "waste" time on new product development that way. But then, there are only so many days you can be good- enjoy your stays when they come, the rest will get done in time, remember how little sleep we really need when some costume emergency arises :wink:
Lucy

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Handbag

Postby Handbag » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:28 pm

im one of those people who takes ages to get enough enthusiasm up to do what needs to be done - its not that i dislike doing it its more that i get myself worried about making mistakes and causing hours extra work trying to sort it out ! it a really pessimistic problem and stupid really as once i get going there are rarely any major problems!!

the other annoying thing i find is that quite often all those normal 21st century living things take over like shopping or doing the washing etc. so we end up with weekends where one of us will be really productive on re-enactment things and the other will have to do all the usual rubbish around the house. ive drawn the short straw the last couple of weeks as the stuff the other half needs to do are more important!! still i have managed to start making a cloth pouch this weekend which ive been meaning to do for ages!! - and hem my hood!! :lol: :lol:

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:04 pm

Oh yes, I have Wonderwool next weekend and I'm still trying to finish off orders from the NLHF before then, so I'm way behind with dyeing and hats. No to mention new kit :oops:

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:38 pm

Yep, 2 weeks til my first event, a kirtle with one sleeve that has no method of closing yet, and nothing hemmed.

Sleeves are going very well though, I'm dead chuffed! :D

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:39 pm

I _have_ to do the children's kits, they have outgrown their old stuff!

Right, I shall go cut out linens now, honestly!

See how much I can get done before the stays arrive... (Which will be Tuesday at the earliest)

f*%@ ! now I've lost my decent fabric scissors, grrrrrr

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:35 pm

amazing what you find when you look! The scissors were at the back of the sewing cupboard disguised as a piece of wood, In my ferreting I also discovered a shirt which will fit Sir, a tunic which just needs new sleeves, a hairbrush which has been lost since September and 2 DS games, yay!

In my defence I didn't guess the hairbrush might be in my kit, cos we moved in September too! Not only do I have to find everything, but it is all in a New Place...

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:38 pm

JC Milwr wrote:I _have_ to do the children's kits, they have outgrown their old stuff!

Can you cut down Rowan's shifts and frocks into shirts and tunics for Mallory, save a bit of time if you could?

Random Mumblings

Postby Random Mumblings » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:12 pm

I've actually done pretty well this year. Only 2 children needed new kit, so made that ages ago. Me and hubby both got full new shiny sets of kit but are all done bar hubby's hose, which are in the planning stage. My dress is 3/4 of the way embroidered now, a full set of kit was made this weekend for a friend and I'm now thumb twiddling until I can get more fabric. Have some bits and bobs to finish off then my Kelmarsh party kit and I'm sorted. :D (Keen newbie still, you see :wink: )

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:24 pm

Good news: I can cobble together 2 old shifts to make a new one.

Bad news, I forgot to wash the new linen. aarrrggg! Still, I remembered _before_ cutting it out. I hope the weather is good tomorrow, as it is in the wash now!

I couldn't really do the kids kit too early, as they are 4 and 2, and grow like weeds when you aren't looking!

Random Mumblings

Postby Random Mumblings » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:40 pm

JC Milwr wrote:
I couldn't really do the kids kit too early, as they are 4 and 2, and grow like weeds when you aren't looking!

Mine too, they are 8,7 and 4. I just make them with plenty of growing room. And BIG hems. :lol:

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:02 pm

I was up until gone one on saturday, watching 'air america' and making kit for the three year old. Still, since No.2 is a girl as well, at least everything gets two uses.

tonight I've stiffled my sewing guilt with a bottle of wine and some baileys.

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:20 pm

Random Mumblings wrote:
Mine too, they are 8,7 and 4. I just make them with plenty of growing room. And BIG hems. :lol:

OK so I kept putting it off too! 2 year old needs new stuff, although I did find a shirt someone gave us which will now fit him. 4 year old got two years out of her last kit, so not bad, and should get at least 2 years out of new kirtle!

I've got the cutting out done, apart from what needs the new linen. Will get to the sewing next time I have a free evening. Sewing machine I'm afraid, I simply don't have time to make kids kit by hand! (Hems will be hand stitched).

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:37 pm

*evil laugh*

mwahahaha

you all seem to be visiting my world for a while

mwahahahaha

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:50 pm

2 sleeves! :o :o :D :D :D :D

I am verrrrr happy... they work so well and I'm so proud!

Pics will hopefully follow!

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:05 pm

Typical, the washed linen didn't shrink at all...

red razors

Postby red razors » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:15 pm

i have to [well, want to...] make tudor and landsknecht kit for rockingham. oh, and let out the sides of my viking kit because i have gotten a little too plump for it :oops: i have 9 days [only one of them a complete day, since i work]. i feel several all-nighters coming on...

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:07 pm

Nope- I employ a tailor to have these problems for me ;)

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:19 pm

:D

I shall probably end up (again) making my kelmarsh clothes about 3 days before...

determined to actually get it done though - have bought some of supplies 8)

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:35 pm

Why are you typing on here when I need my aketon, hose and suit made?!
;)

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Random Mumblings

Postby Random Mumblings » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:02 am

Tuppence wrote:determined to actually get it done though - have bought some of supplies 8)

Have you? My patterns have come. and I have looked at them, gone "Eek!" and put them on the table for "later." :lol:

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:51 pm

I know the feeling. My wife solved it for me by demanding that I 'get some of that crap finished before it gets thrown away". It's really focussed my mind. I now have the job that I want to do and the job that needs finishing first. You've just got to be hard on yourself.

Hopefully I should have the 13th C cote finished by the end of next week, then I can start on the 15th C hosen, or maybe a new scabbard...

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

kate/bob

Postby kate/bob » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:00 pm

I've just realised that although I don't need new kit, it'll probably be a tad difficult feeding the baby without some sort of opening at the front of my shift - it's ok I've still got a week to sort it out in?!

bernard

Postby bernard » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:31 pm

By some miracle the childrens shoes from last year still fit. So can relax a little.

Hon_Kitty

Postby Hon_Kitty » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:25 pm

Trousers. For Saturday morning. And the fabric hasn't come yet.

Kitty, decking the halls with pewter buttons, fa la la la la BUGGRIT!

JC Milwr

Postby JC Milwr » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:49 pm

kate/bob wrote:I've just realised that although I don't need new kit, it'll probably be a tad difficult feeding the baby without some sort of opening at the front of my shift - it's ok I've still got a week to sort it out in?!

I just cut mine down the front and hemmed it. My kirtle seemed to keep it shut no problem.
You might find you want a cloth for over your shoulder when feeding, it's a lot more exposing opening a kirtle/shift than lifting a t-shirt, IME!

Learning to tighten laces one handed is an experience.. ;)

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:01 pm

Why are you typing on here when I need my aketon, hose and suit made?!

can't stitch while running bat - gets messy :D

Have you? My patterns have come. and I have looked at them, gone "Eek!" and put them on the table for "later."

Well, some of materials I already had - ok - most of materials I already have, but then I have huge stockpiles!

Bought some coggy thingies on ebay 8)

Am sure the patterns will work - if you get stuck though give me a shout.

I now have the job that I want to do and the job that needs finishing first. You've just got to be hard on yourself.

Not really the problem with me - was sewing till 4am last night and back to it just before 9 am :lol:

Miss Piggy

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:14 am

feeling slightly better. That's the three year old just about finnished. Gown and pettycoat done, just need to finish her linens, and short hose, and do her a purse.

Just a few bits for the baby to do and a new shift for the wife.

Dave

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Random Mumblings

Postby Random Mumblings » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Dave B wrote:feeling slightly better. That's the three year old just about finnished. Gown and pettycoat done, just need to finish her linens, and short hose, and do her a purse.

Just a few bits for the baby to do and a new shift for the wife.

Dave

I'm guessing her shoes there aren't entirely authenti? :lol: She looks exhausted, as if she's saying, "Oh do hurry up Daddy, I really need to go to bed now."

Return to “Costumes”