Cannock Chase

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

'Banastre'

Cannock Chase

Postby 'Banastre' » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:19 pm

So Rhys took me there - we were going to walk to the war graves but doing so in riding boots wasn't the smartest of ideas so we turned back in five minutes. Short as I am, I ended up with Summer - wonderful temperment. I thought lidimy and Annis might like the horses :lol: I had a wonderful mental image of me in a Dragoon uniform... but the sore *rse and blisters after really made that little daydream a little soured. Still, I'd do it again in more comfortable boots!

Image <3

"I've just written a very warm, bubbly character who has happy plans for her future. You'd like her. But I was writing it, I was thinking - she's gonna die." - Andy B.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:07 pm

Wow, looks like a beautiful place to go riding in! :D

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

'Banastre'

Postby 'Banastre' » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:12 pm

It was! 26 square miles (or kilometres, one of the two) of terrain like that then heathland and dense forest.

"I've just written a very warm, bubbly character who has happy plans for her future. You'd like her. But I was writing it, I was thinking - she's gonna die." - Andy B.

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Lovely horses, and scenery. Are you riding downhill perchance?

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:23 pm

ooh! I like the skewbald horse!! :D You look a like scared on Summer, unless you just so happened to be sitting strangely at that point!

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

'Banastre'

Postby 'Banastre' » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:10 am

Zachos - Yep, I think we were. *searches her memory* Yes, we were heading off the hill to do some trotting on better ground.

Annis - Well Summer had just decided to send up a spray of horse snot at the time :lol:

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:59 pm

'Banastre' wrote:Annis - Well Summer had just decided to send up a spray of horse snot at the time :lol:

:lol: urgh, nice!

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

'Banastre'

Postby 'Banastre' » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:12 pm

Annis wrote:
'Banastre' wrote:Annis - Well Summer had just decided to send up a spray of horse snot at the time :lol:

:lol: urgh, nice!

A *lovely* shower :P

James The Archer

Postby James The Archer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:01 pm

They're a bit on small side for me, Went ridding on my boy (well 1/2 my boy) over weekend, just started again after he had bit of lameness, now got to both of us fit! Mind you had an "interesting" moment or two when he got spooked by birds flying out of hedge.

Duck the arrows are coming!

Izabela Pitcher

Postby Izabela Pitcher » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:24 pm

a fantastic place to go riding or hunting if you are around Devon:
www.offpisteriding.co.uk

Absolutely marvelous horses and great people. and exploring Exmoor on horseback is unforgettable.
I came across them 2years ago and I return twice a year for a week's hunting each spring and autumn. abnd uysually have some time in between to practice some skills at arms in a paddock as well:_)

Izabela Pitcher
Prior Attire

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:51 pm

Izabela, those horses look stunning! I'd never have guessed that ex race horses, could become so adaptable to off roading!

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Izabela Pitcher

Postby Izabela Pitcher » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:15 pm

they are not also stunners and of great character - their stamina is unbelievable. I remember a hunt that lasted almost 8 hours, in rain and gale force wind, ion one of the most difficult terrains - and I was shattered and the horses were just pleasently tired, still rearing to go . and the final chase was about 40min of canter...

the terrain - well, when I first looked at all the bracken, swamp, bog, pebbles and holes, I was convinced that we would be able just to walk there... however the horses know the terrain so well, that I simply cantered on with the others - and just avoided looking down. once you know the land a bit better, you get more confident where the going is good, but at first I trasted the steed and that was not such a bad thing.
in other words, an unforgettable experience:-)

Izabela Pitcher
Prior Attire

Izabela Pitcher

Postby Izabela Pitcher » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:34 pm

they are not also stunners and of great character - their stamina is unbelievable. I remember a hunt that lasted almost 8 hours, in rain and gale force wind, ion one of the most difficult terrains - and I was shattered and the horses were just pleasently tired, still rearing to go . and the final chase was about 40min of canter...

the terrain - well, when I first looked at all the bracken, swamp, bog, pebbles and holes, I was convinced that we would be able just to walk there... however the horses know the terrain so well, that I simply cantered on with the others - and just avoided looking down. once you know the land a bit better, you get more confident where the going is good, but at first I trasted the steed and that was not such a bad thing.
in other words, an unforgettable experience:-)

Izabela Pitcher
Prior Attire

Thrud

Postby Thrud » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:16 pm

Cannock Chase!!!!

AAarrrrrggghhhhhh....

I used to have to do cross-country on Cannock chase.

By the sacred toenail clippings of J.R.R Tolkein... You'll pay for that hellspawn!

I am a snob and I am proud of it but I also like a good poo joke every now and then too.

bourbon

Postby bourbon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:19 pm

This is very very close to where the Ferrers household hail from at least the Chairman

Always have a plan 'B'

tonw

Postby tonw » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:16 pm

And where we should be training :roll:

--
You are never too old to storm a bouncy castle!

Don't poke angry people!!

purple peril

Postby purple peril » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:40 am

Thrud wrote:Cannock Chase!!!!

AAarrrrrggghhhhhh....

I used to have to do cross-country on Cannock chase.

Really? I used to go orienteering there when I was still at school :)

Thrud

Postby Thrud » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:04 pm

My school was only a few miles from the chase.

By the sacred toenail clippings of J.R.R Tolkein... You'll pay for that hellspawn!

I am a snob and I am proud of it but I also like a good poo joke every now and then too.

Philippa de Vere

Postby Philippa de Vere » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:37 pm

Thrud wrote:My school was only a few miles from the chase.

Mine too (Aelfgar). I clearly remember taking part in the annual sponsored 10 mile walk across those hills.

To being an us - for once - instead of a them
La Vie Boheme

www.paladins.co.uk

Return to “Pictures”