Royal Gunpowder Mills this week end

Moderator: Moderators

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Royal Gunpowder Mills this week end

Postby Tod » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:04 am

Only a few days to go. The weather has got colder so all the mega bugs will be dead, they'll be more costume changes than Mr Benn, and I get to shoot my gun and shout orders. If you're 18th century and not there you are missing out on the biggest collection of 18th century re-enactors in GB.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Re: Royal Gunpowder Mills this week end

Postby Andy R » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:17 am

Tod wrote:The weather has got colder

Yes, time to pack the cloak methinks.....

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

steve stanley
Post Knight

Re: Royal Gunpowder Mills this week end

Postby steve stanley » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:21 am

Tod wrote:Only a few days to go. The weather has got colder so all the mega bugs will be dead,

We Wish!
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Peanutsmum

Postby Peanutsmum » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:49 pm

I am planning on making some mulled cider which is great for cold evenings. For those who have booked food (hint) there will also be stew and kit cat (sp?) pies. And as much oatmeal as you can consume because I have bought extra!

Henrik Bjoern Boegh

Postby Henrik Bjoern Boegh » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:26 am

Anne-Marie, can you ship the leftovers to a hungry exiled Jacobite in Norway? :D

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and True

Jonnie Boy

Postby Jonnie Boy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:46 am

Hey, I've got a weekend pass. On the proviso I bring a very small but very keen redcoat (more a redscarf really - he's only 5)
Peanutsmum wrote:I am planning on making some mulled cider which is great for cold evenings. For those who have booked food (hint) there will also be stew and kit cat (sp?) pies. And as much oatmeal as you can consume because I have bought extra!

That's not kitekat pies is it? I know you Jacobites had it tough, but cat food?

Pulteney's Regiment
"If it feels uncomfortable, you're doing it right"

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:51 am

Jonnie Boy wrote:That's not kitekat pies is it? I know you Jacobites had it tough, but cat food?

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

And it has to be said that in the grand scheme of things cat food is a grade higher than your average carry out from the place with the "big yellow M" (which is the same grade as dog food)

My problem for the weekend is which guns to pack - I have a short list of 4 (and the pistols)

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

Redders

Postby Redders » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:20 am

Andy you showoff lol.
(You could always bring them all??)

JonnieBoy - With Redscarf in attendance, does that mean you'll actually be on good behaviour for a change?????? We wont recognise you if you start acting grown up and serious.

Anne-Marie - SAVE SOME FOOD FOR ME :D :D :D :D
(Please)

Just been given an EXCELLENT hand forged knife by Mrs Redders for my birthday. Nice Deer Hide sheath too. Will post pics soon.

Jonnie Boy

Postby Jonnie Boy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:21 am

Redders wrote:JonnieBoy - With Redscarf in attendance, does that mean you'll actually be on good behaviour for a change?????? We wont recognise you if you start acting grown up and serious.

I'll wear a name badge.

And it means you have to play nice too. Little boys have big ears, and big mouths that report everything to The Boss. So watch out.

Actually I've been given instructions for how to look after the little cherub. It's not as if I've been ignoring him for the past 5 years... :evil: Women!

Pulteney's Regiment

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:41 pm

Andy I'm having the same gun problem, and that's with one out on loan and one in bits. I find it so difficult, just what is a soldier meant to use.............. I suppose it will have to be some thing biog and loud.

Redders you aren't allowed to have a knife, check the Redcoat swords thats as sharp as it gets on your side, and for good reason. :roll:
If you want feeding you'd best see A-M on Friday evening she'll tell you how much, about £3 I would think.

Jon you might want to have a chat with Nick next time you see him, re bad language. I agree with you. If there is no one to look after you sprog during the skirmish - on the Redcoat camp, ask the girls on ours (very nicely) and they might. We are a family friendly group so "Softhand Jon's" boy is very welcome. The plus being that it will keep you out of trouble and off the biscuit tin.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:52 pm

Do you want me to bring a gun for you as well Tod? :D

I have a stupidly small one to try out.....!

Jonnie Boy

Postby Jonnie Boy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:13 pm

Tod wrote:Jon you might want to have a chat with Nick next time you see him, re bad language. I agree with you. If there is no one to look after you sprog during the skirmish - on the Redcoat camp, ask the girls on ours (very nicely) and they might. We are a family friendly group so "Softhand Jon's" boy is very welcome. The plus being that it will keep you out of trouble and off the biscuit tin.

The bad language is something we really need to be more aware of. Not just expletives but inappropriate language as well, especially when the punters are on site. I know we are supposed to be hard fighting men (ok, some of us) but there is a limit.

Fleming's ladies have kindly offered to keep an eye out for the little darling but I don't want to take advantage. It'll be a whole new experience having to think about someone else for a change when I'm "playing at soldiers".

And I'm not packing the biscuit tin this time. Except to keep biscuits in.

Pulteney's Regiment

Matt_D

Postby Matt_D » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:21 pm

Nick will be happy you're taking the little one Johnny...

There will be someone his own size to play with.

ps. Ask Nick about his first foray onto the field with the ACWS. He didn't have any weapons so resorted to pointing his fingers kiddy style and shooting bang. Right by the crowdline. :P

Jonnie Boy

Postby Jonnie Boy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Matt_D wrote:ps. Ask Nick about his first foray onto the field with the ACWS. He didn't have any weapons so resorted to pointing his fingers kiddy style and shooting bang. Right by the crowdline. :P

I hope that everyone played along and all took their hits :)

Pulteney's Regiment

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:00 pm

Andy R wrote:Do you want me to bring a gun for you as well Tod? :D

I meant I still have lots to choose from :twisted:
However I'm happy to take several guns on :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D

Matt_D

Postby Matt_D » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:11 pm

Jonnie Boy wrote:
Matt_D wrote:ps. Ask Nick about his first foray onto the field with the ACWS. He didn't have any weapons so resorted to pointing his fingers kiddy style and shooting bang. Right by the crowdline. :P

I did, well fell over with laughter at least.

Jonnie Boy

Postby Jonnie Boy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:37 pm

Matt_D wrote:
Jonnie Boy wrote:

I did, well fell over with laughter at least.

Reminds me of this: http://www.thehumorarchives.com/joke/Bangity_Bang_Bang

The first time I heard this I had to change my breeches :D

Pulteney's Regiment

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:48 pm

Tod wrote:

However I'm happy to take several guns on :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D

Well, the barrel on the padget is shorter than the barrel on your pistol, so I am sure we could bedeck you with more firearms than Arnhult in the terminator
(todinator, termi-tod???)

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:41 pm

Andy R wrote:
Tod wrote:

Well, the barrel on the padget is shorter than the barrel on your pistol, so I am sure we could bedeck you with more firearms than Arnhult in the terminator
(todinator, termi-tod???)

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
35kgs of powder to burn,35kgs of powder to burn,35kgs of powder to burn,35kgs of powder to burn,35kgs of powder to burn,35kgs of powder to burn,35kgs of powder to burn,35kgs of powder to burn.

Redders

Postby Redders » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:12 pm

He hath finally lost the plot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a safe warning to all would be that if you see Tod smiling......................................................RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonnie Boy

Postby Jonnie Boy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:42 pm

...light blue touch paper and retire - rapidly

Pulteney's Regiment

Steve of RaT

Postby Steve of RaT » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:23 pm

John it's not the adults you need worry about being a bad influence, it's Jacob and Finn. Several trees will be climbed, waist high in stinging nettles and at least one grazed knee. So pack a suitable first aid kit :lol:

Steve
-----------------------------------------------------------
These views are not necessarily those of RaT, which usually are accompanied with a sulphurous smell.

Veni, Vidi, Aesculus hippocastanum

Jonnie Boy

Postby Jonnie Boy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:15 pm

Steve of RaT wrote:John it's not the adults you need worry about being a bad influence, it's Jacob and Finn. Several trees will be climbed, waist high in stinging nettles and at least one grazed knee. So pack a suitable first aid kit :lol:

Great, that's all I need. Bringing Dan home covered in bites, rashes, stings and scars will guarantee my weekend passes revoked for ever more. Maybe I should lock him in the tent all weekend?

Pulteney's Regiment

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:57 am

Well, were we good or what!
What an excellent week end. I think we must have got 60 shots off a day each. 3 skirmishes, lots of public, and some of the RaT pack doing half a dozen kit changes.
Special thanks to Declan, Andy, Richard H, Redders, Robert S and Corp. Paul for helping out in the pre 18th century display.

Well done to Gerry on his commentary, I didn't hear too much of it as I was shouting orders and banging off the pistol, but now you've done it once....................

Thanks to NFOE for the event, but you still owe me a drink :wink:

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:18 am

It was a fantastic event, although I do still have a dirty taste in my mouth after having to be American Militia :(

And now I now have 5 guns to clean in the rain. :cry:

Next year we look to have a spectacular-spectacular event in Sussex which depending on PA set up could actually be in the woods.
(That's right, a public display in the woods)

We also have Cliveden as well, so I guess that will be another LW/NFOE co-operative event

Andysmith

Postby Andysmith » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:39 am

I'm having a tad of a problem geting out of the 'Foghorn Leghorn' accent (as adopted for the AWI business)...my colleagues at work this morning think that I'm a bit of a nutter. At least the 'camp Edinburgh' has been put back into the closet...until the next time. My new goal in life is to learn how to sing 'Old MacDonald Had a Farm' in Latin so that I can accompany Jason...i.e. he of the many talented lyrics.

Aye..'twere a braw weekend...Declan lost half-a-stone through sweating (the sheer effort required for all those uniform/equipment changes)...it wasna' a pretty sight I tell ye.

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:51 am

Glad you had a good weekend guys.
Unfortunately I couldn't make it and had to slum it at Holyrood Palace in kit with a sumptuous banquet thrown in on Friday night.:wink:
I did particularly enjoy the "occupation" of the Palace and the entrance in through the gates...... stopping the traffic in the streets outside the Parliament building.

Event on Saturday was good with a 4am re-enactment of the Jacobite march to the battlefield :shock: then the main skirmish late morning with the guys from Montgomeries from the Czech republic who were top notch and they're kit was superb......wouldn't look out of place at any LW event.... Another lesson for the hairy shortbread guys.

A further varied selection of events followed at various sites associated with the battle (similar kind of idea to Derby really) there was also a talk by Christopher Duffy, free lunch and beer and a ceilidh later on Saturday evening.

They hope to make it an annual event. I hope they do.... it was superb.
Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:19 am

I know Foxe took some pics of RGM, did any one take any up at Prestonpans.
Oh by the way 4am is wrong in too many ways, you should be tucked up in bed.

Steve of RaT

Postby Steve of RaT » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:32 am

Tod wrote:I know Foxe took some pics of RGM,

Hopefully they will be posted somewhere as A-M was busy cooking and I didn't get a chance.

Oh by the way 4am is wrong in too many ways, you should be tucked up in bed.

Normal time for going to bed at events :roll: , just ask Jerry.

Steve

-----------------------------------------------------------

These views are not necessarily those of RaT, which usually are accompanied with a sulphurous smell.

Veni, Vidi, Aesculus hippocastanum

Neil Johnston

Postby Neil Johnston » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:56 am

Tod
Thanks for the concern, but since I was staying at home I wasn't either in the hall or camp to be kicked up in time and blissfully slept through it all!!!
I got there as a reinforcement at a respectable 9 a.m.in time to assist in Col Gardiner's demise and to raid the baggage

Photowise I reckon there should be hundreds somewhere (it was a very photo intensive event to try and gain maximum publicity) and will link any I find

Cheers
Neil

GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

Return to “1715-1810”