Real Weaves

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Wiblick

Real Weaves

Postby Wiblick » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:08 am

http://www.medievaltextiles.org/gallery/gallery.html

so would all of these have been used as clothing? I mean could I walk around in a kirtle made in any these weaves? (the 15thC ones), or a tunic/cote for the earlier periods? they're quite outlandish compared to most of what we see but I'm thinking of upping the ante with my kit for next year.

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:18 pm

Thanks for that,

there are a couple of weaves which correspond to some fabrics that i have and was unsure about.

Cheryl
shadowlight Designs

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:54 am

if I'm reading it right, they're all based on technology that was available during the time period mentioned, so they're all in theory possible.

whether they were actually used for clothing or not is another matter entirely, and no one can really say about that for sure. a couple of them have archeological references (ie based on finds), which clearly marks them as ok for a particular point, but we just don't know whether it was just that few years, or a wider timespan, or what...

so in short it's possible.

it's also possible that many of them were never used for clothing.

it's also equally possible that those without references were never known at all, and are a complete invention of the (modern) weaver.

like I said - dunno

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Theotherone

Postby Theotherone » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:15 am

Quite a few of the patterns seen to refer to this book http://www.boydell.co.uk/51158404.HTM
Has any one got it and, if so, is it any good?

Because there would have to be three of them.

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:19 am

Have the book. It is good... I assume it is because I really don't understand what they are talking about half the time, especially all the technical jargon regarding weaves and thread counts and warps and wefts and such.

It's basically a catalogue of archaeological finds. I must cross reference the 'pretty fabrics' with the contexts in which they are found to see if they were likely to have been clothing or furnishing fabrics.

I was just being lazy by asking here thinking somone who understands about twills and such would be able to say 'yep'.

But thanks to Tuppence, I will proceed with caution.

Return to “Costumes”