Wigs and accessories

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

The Castle Keepers

Wigs and accessories

Postby The Castle Keepers » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:16 am

Hello

1) I need a really good Elizabeth I ginger wig, authentic for about 1570s. Can anyone recommend a good shop or online site?

2) I need Boudica jewellery- a torc and a couple of brooches, possibly a belt too. Can anyone recommend either somewhere to buy some, or books, sites or instruction methods for making my own?

Many thanks!!

Nicole

Postby Nicole » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:08 pm

I got all my Baroque wigs (male and female) from Derek Easton, he is brilliant, albeit "pricey". It really is a case of paying for quality.

http://www.derekeastonwigs.co.uk/

Just supply him with good period images and you'll get back a brilliant item. He's happy to restyle if you're not quite satisfied and he also does cleaning and re-setting.
Last edited by Nicole on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:28 pm

Hi Nicole - good to see you here - I made the Danse Ecosse gowns.

Derek has been providing wigs for my customers since 1984, and is helpful, knowledgeable, and brilliant at his job. If you can send a picture he will do his very best to accomodate you.

S.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:57 pm

I'll try and find you contact details for my friend Linda. She used to do wiggery for the ENO and has done some for reenactors inc the LH Workshop group. I think she still does freelance work.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

The Castle Keepers

Postby The Castle Keepers » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:14 pm

Thank you for all these- will investigate! (:

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:26 pm

I need Boudica jewellery- a torc and a couple of brooches, possibly a belt too

Torc are made from wire rope with cast on ends (at least the high status electrum ones are). There is a company who make them (possibly called the Hoard).

Brooches - penannulars are fairly easy from thick copper/brass/bronze wire. Its just a circle with a segment cut out of it and a pin attached. I made some fairly ropy ones years ago by plying copper wire but most of the rreal ones are a single rod. Have a look in the ADS for site reports with real examples illustrated (I think there are a few in the Danebury reports) Fibulae may be more difficult.

Belt - leather or tablet weave. Little evidence for Iron Age belts in Britain (little equating to none) but either of these options would give you a discussion point. I hold my Iron Age trousers up with a cord of handspun and plied wool.

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

agesofelegance

Postby agesofelegance » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:09 pm

I 3rd it with Derek we always get from him and they last so cost is worth it in the end. Otherwise if you just want a cheap wig then wig creations sell to theatre etc or just google there are lots of sites around

Tailors to history
www.agesofelegance.co.uk

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:22 pm

fourth recommndation for derek easton

should we start a fan club?

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Return to “Costumes”