Hi guys, I'm new here!

Moderator: Moderators

Housecarl

Hi guys, I'm new here!

Postby Housecarl » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi folks

At the invitation of Morglay(who's kindly warned me that you're all weaponry/attire experts so as not to trip myself up!:lol:), I've got around to joining this site. I look forward to learning from you guys about the finer details of late Anglo-Saxon England and divulging what I know about the era.

Though I'm no re-enactor(I worked on the doors years ago if that counts? :lol: ) I do drawings of historical related themes and am a keen amateur historian, especially regarding the '1066' era (umbrella term).

The film that I see many have posted on here (1066) has been researched for three years, is English directed (Robin Jacob) and also scripted (same director and also author Helen Hollick) but US funded, as the British film people refused to back it, for whatever reason. (uh-huh)

The "two battles" in the title refers of course to Hastings and Stamford Bridge, although I feel that it should be re-worded to say "three", as the huge pitched battle of Fulford Gate(only five days before Stamford), almost wiped out the northern army which would have been important for Harold as he would need it in the south when William landed. As it was he sped-marched 200m north, missed the first battle, launched straight into the shocked Norsemen at Stamford, then sped-marched his depleted and exhausted army back down south. Hence a weary army on October 14th 1066.

On the film blog, on which the director takes a personal interest and has responded to the many concerns of those not wanting another "Gibsonised" effort(he himself doesn't want this and I, and others, vehemently stated this also), Robin has assured us that he will balance the fine line between American money needing return for investment- with artistic integrity & accuracy as far as he possibly can. I feel quite happy that his team will.

I posted recently on the CoSG about this movie-in-progress;

http://crossofstgeorge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17010

Cheers.

Malvoisin

Postby Malvoisin » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:32 pm

We've had a little chat about this some time ago. http://livinghistory.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6928
Looks good if they can pull it off. Secured any funding yet? I see Robin Jacob was talking about raising U.S $100 million to do it properly and getting it by forming a PLC!!??
The alternative is to raise money independently from the public, some English movies have done this but the sums raised were only a couple of million. To make 1066 properly the estimated budget for this is US$100M and this alas, is far beyond the ability of independent financing.
We are exploring the possibility of setting up a PLC in the UK and attract financing that way.
http://blog.1066themovie.biz/

And did some one mention Johnny Depp as William? Maybe if he leaves his attempts at "comedy" at home.
And Ray (cheeky cockney gangster) Winston!! NO Please NO! :evil: He's ok, but only as a cheeky cockney gangster.

O yeah welcome BTW :)

Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

Housecarl

Postby Housecarl » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:55 pm

Hi Malvoisin, soz for duplicating this subject, I was only going to say 'hi' but got carried away!

Yes I believe that Robin has secured much US funding, exactly how much for sure I dunno. Enough to make a massive impact I understand though.

Johhny Depp is a main 'target' due to not least his ability, fluency in French and bankability in the US and UK. Apparently he's considering, as are many other famous names.

Poor ole Ray- he did so well in 1980's Robin of Sherwood, those dramas about Sweeney Todd and Henry VIII...and erm, those cereal adverts....er :lol:

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:06 pm

welcome to the looney bin!!

and god not ray winstone. even in cold mountain he was a geezer... :roll:

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Return to “410-1100”