Pre-800AD Scot underlings

Moderator: Moderators

Greg G.

Pre-800AD Scot underlings

Postby Greg G. » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:00 pm

Not withstanding the fact that they spoke gaelic during the time, does anyone have any ideas, or reference material, of what the underlings - both civie and military - of a Scots Laird would have been called? Happy to hear guesses, ideas, thoughts, etc. Many thanks!

-Greg

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:46 am

"OI YOU"

sorry couldn't help it.

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:59 am

Not withstanding the fact that they spoke gaelic during the time, does anyone have any ideas, or reference material, of what the underlings - both civie and military - of a Scots Laird

Would the language spoken not depend on where is 'Scotland' you were - the Lowlands were a mixture of British (W and SW and Anglian (North of the Humber and South of the Forth), Fife and the NE had Pictish elements (I saw something recently about what Pictish may have ben as a language but I can't recall the details). If you were in the territory of the Scotti then Gaelic would probably be OK.

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Greg G.

Postby Greg G. » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:31 pm

Area-wise I am looking at the northern regions; east (above Edinbourgh) which would have been Picts, the NW Caladonians, plus the Scotti in the Argyll area (the old Dalriada). Mid 6th C is the timeline we are needing. Thanks for the answers so far. I think we've found what we need, but I'm still open to any suggestions.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:39 pm

Kerrnach? (spelling is most likely wrong).

Hobbitstomper

Postby Hobbitstomper » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:06 pm

Slave in the language that was spoken at the time.

Gary

Postby Gary » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:29 pm

Tricky one really. While we know what some of the later Gaelic terms were, there is no evidence they were used pre 800. All the sources from the eight century use either anachronistic Classical prototypes, or in translation later terminology is used.

Welsh prototypes should be used in Pictish areas, as Pictish was far more likely to be related to Brythonic (Old Welsh) than Gaelic (Old Irish). I doubt that much evidence would be found of terms bellow theTeulu, (Household).

Bede does talk about positions under a 'lord' (Comes, translated to Gesith in a Northumbrian context, but thats about as close as I can find right now.

Return to “410-1100”