1066,the Movie?

Postby Morglay » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:50 pm

They'll need plenty of skilled extras for this film:

http://www.1066themovie.biz/index.htm

If it ever comes off :?

Mike

Dishonoured Knight

Postby Dishonoured Knight » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:39 pm

Bout time they made a film about 1066, only of the most important battles fought on Englisc soil, lots of action, fascinating story, big lead characters shall we make a film about it...... no, lets make another boring period costume drama. :roll:

Lets be honest with The Vikings and Regia they don't need to go anywhere else for extras, and we bring our own kit!

Stafford Rapier Society Historical combat study group.
Poor Cnights of St.Chad Viking & Anglo Saxon group.

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:56 pm

The world doesn't need a film based around 1066 just yet.

There aren't nearly enough about elizabeth I to start doing interesting stories.

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:04 pm

Sadly its more likely to be made in Eastern Europe with local extras.

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Morglay

Postby Morglay » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:31 pm

It's doubtful whether there's anywhere,in congested England,suitable for shooting the film. I believe that's why the David Hemmings film,'Alfred the Great' {1970},was shot in Ireland.

Mike

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:25 am

Hardly looks like it's gonna be big budget.

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

madoc

Postby madoc » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:36 am

didn't the Americans win the battle of hastings ?

at least they will, if it's a hollywood movie.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:45 am

Eastern European shot? Black leather all round :lol:

I hear that now David Beckham has shown his horse riding prowess, he is sheduled to play Harold ! :lol: :lol:

Political correctness must now creep in. Remember Battle of Trafalgar celebrations? The Englisc cannot fight the Normans, it will have to be the reds against the blues.

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:53 pm

Or atleast Normandy defending herself against evil English expansionist aggression!

Morglay

Postby Morglay » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:02 pm

"I hear that now David Beckham has shown his horse riding prowess"Type16

On a white rearing horse,he looks more like William.

"Hardly looks like it's gonna be big budget." WorkMonkey

I don't think anyone could make such a film on a low budget.

Mike

Thorlak

Postby Thorlak » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:53 am

I think I should be cast to play the noble Godwinson

Proud member of the Mercian Jungsturm!!

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:50 pm

Morglay wrote:

Oh they could. :roll:

Morglay

Postby Morglay » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:26 pm

I think the producer is setting his sights high,because in the blog,he said this:

"So far the UK Film establishment has dismissed this project as too big for them."

http://blog.1066themovie.biz/

Mike

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:13 pm

We have already had contact with this company, they approached the Vike last year wanting to come to england and film the battle of hastings, to use as battle scenes in the film. They are a small compnay based in thailand.

They wanted to wander the battle field and film, we talked about fee's and then strangley enough, there was no further communication from them.

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

kael

Postby kael » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:28 pm

it wouldnt be too good to film hastings, none of the Normans fell over ;)

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:56 pm

WorkMonkey wrote:
Morglay wrote:

You have obviousley seen the utter drivel the epic warriors of Hastings :shock:

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Morglay

Postby Morglay » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:47 pm

"...wanting to come to england and film the battle of hastings, to use as battle scenes in the film." Gyrthofhwicce

Oh dear,oh dear! :( Cheapskates eh!

Mike

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:47 pm

Morglay wrote:"...wanting to come to england and film the battle of hastings, to use as battle scenes in the film." Gyrthofhwicce

Oh dear,oh dear! :( Cheapskates eh!

Exactly, Mind you filming from one static spot as we offered them, wouldnt have helped either, would have made very boring watching :lol:

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:04 pm

Nigel wrote:
WorkMonkey wrote:
Morglay wrote:

You have obviousley seen the utter drivel the epic warriors of Hastings :shock:

lol no, but I have a very good imagination, so I could give it a good shot.

*thinks*

Mmmm....yes.

Dingo8MyBaby

Postby Dingo8MyBaby » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:43 pm

"One Kingdom, Two Kings, One Duke, Two Battles and the Most Famous Date in English History"

If they can't get the number of battles right for 1066, three not two, then I doubt the film will be much better than brave pants was for representing Scottish history.

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:32 am

I think it means two "major" battles, Fulford gate wasn't particually big if I understand correctly, and wasn't costly in lives lost or else Edwin and Morcar wouldn't have been able to lead such a large uprising only a few years after 1066, if you had to list every military encounter made in that year would you have to list all the little minor Welsh border encounters etc.

One Kingdom, Two Kings, One Duke, Two Northern Earls, lots of small time thegns, 3 battles, 24 engagements, 2 border disputes, 15 lost welsh men getting chased over the border, one arguement with a Frankish trader resulting in 14 dead sailors, one hell of alot of rustled sheep, and the Most Famous Date in English History

...don't quite have the same ring to it :roll:

Dingo8MyBaby

Postby Dingo8MyBaby » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:45 pm

WorkMonkey wrote: Fulford gate wasn't particually big if I understand correctly, and wasn't costly in lives lost or else Edwin and Morcar wouldn't have been able to lead such a large uprising only a few years after 1066, if you had to list every military encounter made in that year would you have to list all the little minor Welsh border encounters etc.

The forces were about the same size I think, so about 6000 aside. That’s fairly close to the numbers that fought at Stamford Bridge and at Hastings.
As for a few losses, about 90% of the Saxons did not make it off the battlefield and the Viking army suffered about 5% losses in all.
For some reason Fulford Gate is always the battle that is ignored in the history of those few weeks, but like the two battles that follow it is one of the most decisive victories in history.

Three Nations, Three Armies, One Winner - On Hell of a World Cup!!

Aelfric

Postby Aelfric » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:01 pm

Dingo8MyBaby wrote:As for a few losses, about 90% of the Saxons did not make it off the battlefield and the Viking army suffered about 5% losses in all.

What are those figures based on? 90% sounds incredibly high.

Dingo8MyBaby

Postby Dingo8MyBaby » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:06 pm

Aelfric wrote:
Dingo8MyBaby wrote:As for a few losses, about 90% of the Saxons did not make it off the battlefield and the Viking army suffered about 5% losses in all.

What are those figures based on? 90% sounds incredibly high.

The bulk of the saxon amy was out menouvered and out fought by better armed soldiers who where also much more experianced - driven back into a marsh many drowned due to the weight of their armour. I recal one of the saga's saying that so many perished in the marsh that the Viking troops followed up while remaining dry shod asthe marsh was full of english dead.

Maybe one reason for there being enough there two years later for a rebellion was that many were displaced by the new arrivals in the south??

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:01 am

Dingo8MyBaby wrote:
The forces were about the same size I think, so about 6000 aside. That’s fairly close to the numbers that fought at Stamford Bridge and at Hastings.
As for a few losses, about 90% of the Saxons did not make it off the battlefield and the Viking army suffered about 5% losses in all.
For some reason Fulford Gate is always the battle that is ignored in the history of those few weeks, but like the two battles that follow it is one of the most decisive victories in history.

Three Nations, Three Armies, One Winner - On Hell of a World Cup!!

I thought they lost the initial engagements, then made an organised retreat back towards york, using the river to cover their flank. The Vikings then marched on York, told it surrender, and it promptly did.

If they'd lost 90% of 6000 men, which was presumably the greater part of the Northern Fyrd, then there would have been no way they would have been in a position to lead a rebellion in 1068 that turned out to be such a big deal that William had to obliterate the North just to subdue it, and all only two years after Fulford? Sounds to me like the Northern army was still alive, and very well.

Thorlak

Postby Thorlak » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:23 am

Even by anyones suggestions 90% is WAAAYYYYYY too high a suggestion

As fr as I understand the bulk of the army managed to retreat in good order back to York

And as WM said the MAJOR!!! Rebellion that took place in 1068 could not have happened if 90% of the northern army had been killed.

Proud member of the Mercian Jungsturm!!

Malvoisin

Postby Malvoisin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:49 pm

1068-69 and all that:

In December 1067 Cospatrick purchased the earldom of Northumbria from king William.

In 1068 Cospatrick leads a rebellion against William. It fails after a fall-out with king Malcom of Scotland and the failer of the Welsh, Mercians and Danes to support it. William retakes York without a fight. Cospartick returns to Scotland.

Robert de Commines in 1068 is made earl of Bamburgh. He proceeds to conquer and pillaging the lands around Durham. In the winter of 1069 the men of Northumbria rise up and set fire to the bishops house at Durham, with Robert and all his men in it. They perish.

The Rebels move to York and are joined by Edgar the Aetheling, Maerleswein (former sheriff of Lincoln), Thorbrand the Hold (leader of the Danes of York) and Earl Cospatrick and all their men. No numbers but possibly "alot".
Edgar organises a fleet.
The rebels massacre Richard fitz Richard and his men who sally out from the castle at York to meet them.
William imediately marches to York and the rebels are routed. He builds a second castle across the river on Baille hill.
The rebel leaders escape via the Humber and return to Scotland. There they receive fresh recruits, including Earl Waltheof and Siward Barn (great name :D )

Summer 1069 the Danes arrive and it really kicks off!!
At the request of the rebels, King Swein of Denmark sends his brother Osbjorn and a fleet of 240 ships (min 20 men/ ship? 5000 men in all?).
The Danes harry the east coast and arrive in the Humber early Sept 1069. They are met by Edgar and his rebel allies.
This army then moves on York. The Normans (accidentally?) set fire to the city and destroy it. The rebel army arrives and destroys both castles and garrison. The city is a wreck and undefencable. They move to the isle of Axeholme near Doncaster.

William whilst hunting in the forest of Dean hears of the Dane landing and marches north.

On hearing of Williams approach the Danes retire to their ships on the Humber. William bribes then to leave, but allows then to over winter on the humber. They are kept in check until they leave in the spring for Denmark.
Mean while, without Dane support Edgars rebels are defeated by the garrison at Lincoln. His men return to the north to pursue a guerrila warfare in the forests, mountians and marshes.

That winter 1069-70 William created a waste land between York and Durham. Denying the rebels any hiding place and the Danes any land to support another invasion. He then moves on to Chester and Stafford.

Cospatrick submitted to William and had his earldom restored.
Edgar the Aetheling remained in Scotland.

Edwin and Morcar after Gate Fulford, don't seem to reappear until the seige at the isle of Ely in the autumn of 1071.

This is my interpritation of the writtings of Peter Rex, Benton Rain Patterson and Frank Barlow. Please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

Malvoisin

Postby Malvoisin » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:13 pm

O yeah, as for the film should be a giggle. There is sure one hell a story to tell if only they get it right, that'd be a start. Ham acting and a Robin Hood costume department is another thing.

On a BBC site the writer/ producer Robin Jacob, has these as his influences, inspirations and favourite films
Lawrence of Arabia
Seven Samurai
The Wild Bunch

NOT Brave pants.... phew! :D
or Kingdom of Heaven..... shame :(

Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

Morglay

Postby Morglay » Sat May 12, 2007 9:51 am

The latest from th producer's wabsite:

1066 The Movie published a new entry entitled "Addition" on 5/11/2007 11:53:00 PM, written by Monina.

Addition

I would like to welcome Ian Wingrove to the project as Special effects Supervisor. Ian’s credits include Troy, Mission Impossible, Blackhawk Down, the Sleeping Dictionary, Hamlet and Henry V as well as Never Say Never Again, amongst many. He has a wealth of experience and will be a significant benefit to the production.

For more details please go to: http://imdb.com/name/nm0935071/

Mike

Morglay

Postby Morglay » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:42 pm

I've just recieved this e-mail:

1066 The Movie published a new entry entitled "Press Release" on 7/25/2007 11:41:00 AM, written by Monina.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Press Release
Hi,

There is a new Press Release on http://1066themovie.biz/press.htm. c

Alessandro Ponti has joined the production as composer. He has done a terrific demo which I will put it up on the site a little later on. Bronwen Harrison has done a couple of songs, both are excellent and will fit the movie well. Mike Cassey a scriptwriter friend of mine who i have worked with on many projects in the Philippines has joined as script supervisor, his many years in the industry will invaluable.

I have cast the first actor, Ian Whyte (Alien V Predator and Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire). Ian is a martial arts, broadswords expert and rides a horse. He will play King Hardrada. He is also over seven foot tall and will make quite a foe for the Saxons at Stamford Bridge.

Re-enactment footage
I am now looking for anyone who has still photos or MiniDV video (PAL) of any of the re-enactments at Hastings. I am putting togher my presentation for Hollywood. Any ideas please let me know.

I will have an interview or two put together with the sound track, etc.

Cheers,

Robin
PS
Join http://myspace.com/haroldgodwinson

Mike

Return to “410-1100”